Brexit and procurement of joinery from Europe

gravelld

I still have the windows and doors to buy for my sun room. Hoping they will be Rationel to match the rest, but uneasy at the cost of importing "foreign" windows

Plan B, if the cost has gone through the roof, or there are logistical difficulties is choose a different make of window, the sun room while attached to the house is clad completely different, so it would not be the end of the world if it had different windows.

As far as I can see at the moment, nothing much will change until the expiry of the transition period, assuming that there is a deal.  The worst case would be if the remainers continue to try and disrupt any deal out of spite, as they seem to be intent on, leaving us with no option but to just have a hard exit next year.  How likely that is I don't know, as the government seems to be pretty incompetent at handling the negotiation process, and I don't have a great deal of confidence that they will be able to agree a satisfactory deal in the time remaining.

It all hinges on gamesmanship by the EU, I think.  They want to send a very clear message to every member state that leaving the EU is a very painful business, so they seem to be going out of their way to make the process harder than it needs to be.  It seems the EU is prepared to sacrifice quite a lot in order to get this political message across, although I think that, when push comes to shove, common sense may prevail and a deal will be agreed.  It's as much in the interest of the EU to reach a deal as it is the UK, as no deal will hurt several EU states pretty badly.  The question is really how much pain the EU is prepared to inflict on some of its member states in order to quell what it sees as a mutiny.

19 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Hmmm. Sure?

In my opinion, yes.  Given that the UK voted to leave, and that leaving (at least in the short to medium term) is an irreversible process, for a host of good reasons, what possible motive could the EU have for wishing to penalise some of its remaining member states?

None of the issues that keep being raised as show-stoppers are any where near as difficult to solve by balanced negotiation as the EU are making them.  There are non-EU countries within Europe who manage quite well without being in the EU, even one fairly prosperous country that is not within the EEA.  My personal view is that being in the EEA would be a good thing, as I've long held the view that the Common Market was a great idea, it's just the concept of a Federal Europe that I can't see working well.  The objections to the EEA seem to be focussed on migration, but as it seems that the majority of problems in UK society that may possibly be related to migration aren't a consequence of EU citizen migration, I believe that the objection to remaining within the EEA is largely a frenzy whipped up by Farage and his cohorts on the right wing of the Tory party.

5 minutes ago, gravelld said:

I didn't really want this to become a discussion about Brexit, more a practical discussion about mitigation strategies around worst case, but hey-ho...

Apologies, I've hidden my response, since it's clearly way off topic. 

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The mitigation strategy I would love to implement is buy my windows now. Unfortunately I can't yet afford them.........

I wonder what strategies the UK agents are adopting?  Might be an idea to talk to them and see if you can order ahead and pay later on delivery.  My guess is that they may be looking at ways to buffer any possible break in their supply chain.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

I wonder what strategies the UK agents are adopting?  Might be an idea to talk to them and see if you can order ahead and pay later on delivery.  My guess is that they may be looking at ways to buffer any possible break in their supply chain.

But likely to be 18 months away, I doubt they would fix a price that long.

4 hours ago, JSHarris said:

As far as I can see at the moment, nothing much will change until the expiry of the transition period, assuming that there is a deal.  The worst case would be if the remainers continue to try and disrupt any deal out of spite, as they seem to be intent on, leaving us with no option but to just have a hard exit next year. 

Seems to me it's the leavers not the remainers in the Cabinet that are most likely to scupper the deal. 

If you are planning to drive abroad you can order an International Driving Permit and Green card already. The driving permit is valid for 12 months. My guess is there will be a last min rush to order these. 

6 hours ago, ProDave said:

The mitigation strategy I would love to implement is buy my windows now. Unfortunately I can't yet afford them.........

Since you are a straightforward gentleman with a vintage Landy (I think), surely the solution is obvious and in your hands.

Adopt the Buccaneering Attitude required post-Brexit, get yourself a couple of Minis and your Landy, and go get 'em.

But then I thought this version was more Buildhub-y - vehicles, materials, self-do style - everything.

Edited by Ferdinand

7 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I think this is a good idea. Must be worth at least running it by them.

There must be a lot of construction projects dependent on the delivery of joinery.

I wonder if there is any wriggle room in contracts to allow the balance to be altered if tariffs are altered?

They will want paying in Euro. I'm not worried about tariffs because both sides want to maintain trade. I think exchange rate movement is a bigger risk.

My contacts in the city say a no deal Brexit will be good for the investments they manage because they are "underweight UK". Eg they expect the pound to fall if there is a no deal. They say they haven't deliberately sought to profit from a no deal, it's just that they see better growth opportunities overseas for the next few years.

If it helps, we haven’t made any contingency plans yet. We don’t expect any difficulties immediately unless a no deal brexit occurs.

If that does appear to be what will happen, plan B is being looked at both here and with our European suppliers.

Edited by craig