HMO wifi

37 minutes ago, pocster said:

I don’t know !

They’re gonna have a 50” tv with bt sports etc , dishwasher , tumble dryer , 2 ovens , 4 ensuites , cleaner twice a week - they’ve got enough ! ???

That is roughly what my students have had for the last few years, ensuites excepted. Seems to work.

Trust they get double beds too.

B|

Ferdinand 

Edited by Ferdinand

Late to the conversation but:

How much Cat5 do you have installed? in a HMO you want an AP on each floor, this allows you to turn down the power and get better coverage.  The Ubiquity AP are all PoE and most Cameras are PoE (Ubiquity also do cameras), so you need a PoE powered Cat5 run to each AP and camera.  If you only have one CAt 5 run but require 2 devices then you will need a mains powered switch to provide 2 x PoE outputs, You get PoE powered switches with PoE passthrough though realistically only one, so you need mains power to power either a PoE switch or the device.  You can ditch the BT hub and put in a modem (I use a Draytek Vigor 130) and Firewall (Ubiquity USG) and remote manage everything, including the modem.  This however takes a reasonable amount of knowledge and effort.

It all depends on your current Cat5 Install, required number of AP's and cameras and willingness to tinker.

I have a Draytek Modem (Vodafone Business Fibre 70mb), Ubiquity USG Pro, 3 switches (48 port, 24 port PoE, 8 port PoE powered) 4 Ubiquity AC-AP-Pro and eventually 10 Ubiquity cameras (not yet installed).  A VPN connection to my other house (overseas) that allows it to be in the UK at that address with Ubiquity equipment at that address.  All internet at our overseas address is routed through the UK one (Hence fast fiber 20bm upload to overseas) and appears to be in the UK negating the VPN issues with UK TV providers.  But this takes some management and effort!

I would go wired with a switch and access points if you can. If it’s going to prove difficult though, my friend has 3 of these installed in an Old 3 story Victorian town house and they work well. I have never had any issues connections and using the Wi-fi via them. 

https://www.rselectricalsupplies.co.uk/bg-nexus-metal-brushed-steel-2-gang-wifi-range-extender-13a-socket-with-usb-and-grey-inserts-nbs22uwrg_16809?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-9GShKDs3QIVioaRCh0jtQvkEAQYBSABEgIZ4PD_BwE

10 hours ago, le-cerveau said:

Late to the conversation but:

How much Cat5 do you have installed? in a HMO you want an AP on each floor, this allows you to turn down the power and get better coverage.  The Ubiquity AP are all PoE and most Cameras are PoE (Ubiquity also do cameras), so you need a PoE powered Cat5 run to each AP and camera.  If you only have one CAt 5 run but require 2 devices then you will need a mains powered switch to provide 2 x PoE outputs, You get PoE powered switches with PoE passthrough though realistically only one, so you need mains power to power either a PoE switch or the device.  You can ditch the BT hub and put in a modem (I use a Draytek Vigor 130) and Firewall (Ubiquity USG) and remote manage everything, including the modem.  This however takes a reasonable amount of knowledge and effort.

It all depends on your current Cat5 Install, required number of AP's and cameras and willingness to tinker.

I have a Draytek Modem (Vodafone Business Fibre 70mb), Ubiquity USG Pro, 3 switches (48 port, 24 port PoE, 8 port PoE powered) 4 Ubiquity AC-AP-Pro and eventually 10 Ubiquity cameras (not yet installed).  A VPN connection to my other house (overseas) that allows it to be in the UK at that address with Ubiquity equipment at that address.  All internet at our overseas address is routed through the UK one (Hence fast fiber 20bm upload to overseas) and appears to be in the UK negating the VPN issues with UK TV providers.  But this takes some management and effort!

So a switch powered by Poe can’t power 2 Poe devices ?

i only have 1 cat5 at each point and as you say require an AP per floor but also need Cctv per floor 

@pocster just to be clear, you're aware that you don't need a powered PoE switch to run a PoE AP? Every AC Lite has a PoE power injector in the box. You can power the AP from a power socket nearby using the injector. A PoE ethernet switch is entirely optional. If you use the power injectors, you can use a cheaper un-powered ethernet switch. Your choice.

4 hours ago, pocster said:

A powered PoE switch can power as many devices as there are powered ports on the switch (some switches have some powered ports and some un-powered ports, they are labelled accordingly).

Edited by Dreadnaught

12 hours ago, pocster said:

i only have 1 cat5 at each point and as you say require an AP per floor but also need Cctv per floor 

Yes,

ordinarly a PoE powered switch will use the PoE to power the switch and it will pass on PoE power to one port, the other ports will be unpowered.  There are some that will power more than one device D-Link DGS-1100-05PD that can power 2 devices, within power limitations, but normally the PoE power can only do the switch and one other device. The safest way is to have a small powered switch on each floor and then run your AP, CCTV cameras (you can have more than one) from that, and also link to the other floors.

So PoE switch on Ground Floor with Modem/Router to supply AP and CCTV and any fixed runs (TV......) It then links up to First Floor Powered switch to run AP and CCTV and any runs...

Just to be clear. A powered PoE-switch vs PoE-powered switch are, in some senses, opposites.

A powered PoE-switch has a power supply from the mains and can provide PoE to multiple ports.

A PoE-powered switch has no external power supply, is powered itself by PoE, and passes PoE through to only a single output port.

• Like 1

Ok !

electrician has confirmed he can fit an extra mains socket near the single cat 5 . So now I can have a mains powered Poe switch to power Cctv and AP.

They are on final decor ; so wasn’t sure if it was doable without too much hassle and cost !!

• 1 month later...

Got my first Unfi AP Ac lite

Using my mac .

Downloaded the unficontroller but as soon as it launches in a browser window get 'this is not a private connection'

Been googling keychains and stuff - but can't seem to get this working.

Anyone ; any ideas????

Unifi 'online' chat has me at 28th in the queue !

at the bottom of that message isnt there an 'advanced' link you can click on, then you can 'ignore and proceed' to get into the controller? 

Just looked in IE,  you can click 'more info', then 'go to the web page, not recommended'.

Edited by pudding

5 minutes ago, pudding said:

at the bottom of that message isnt there an 'advanced' link you can click on, then you can 'ignore and proceed' to get into the controller? 

Just looked in IE,  you can click 'more info', then 'go to the web page, not recommended'.

No. Just the option to 'go back' i.e. back to the previous webpage. or show details; when gives no options.

Edited by pocster

Google suggests its something to do with a "self signed certificate" and perhaps specific to Google Chrome?

https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2016/06/use-existing-ssl-certificate-linux-unifi-controller/

The Ubiquiti UniFi Controller comes with its own self-signed SSL certificate, which means that every time you try to access the web interface, your browser complains about the security of the self-signed certificate, then makes you jump through hoops to get there (I’m looking at you, Google Chrome).

These also seems to point to the certificate being an issue..

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Not-Private-Connection-warning-when-logging-into-Unifi/td-p/2087988

https://www.naschenweng.info/2017/01/06/unifi-cloud-key-ssl-configuration-rapidssl/

3 minutes ago, Temp said:

Google suggests its something to do with a "self signed certificate" and perhaps specific to Google Chrome?

https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2016/06/use-existing-ssl-certificate-linux-unifi-controller/

These also seems to point to the certificate being an issue..

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Not-Private-Connection-warning-when-logging-into-Unifi/td-p/2087988

https://www.naschenweng.info/2017/01/06/unifi-cloud-key-ssl-configuration-rapidssl/

Yeah I tried chrome and safari. As I said seems to work on home network!. So will try on site tomorrow!

I have a question 

If I buy another UniFi AP and install at the end of an rj45 ( to increase WiFi range ) does it ‘share’ the first units ssid ? I.e you can roam between them oblivious to the fact of which one you are connected too ? 

Just now, pocster said:

I have a question 

If I buy another UniFi AP and install at the end of an rj45 ( to increase WiFi range ) does it ‘share’ the first units ssid ? I.e you can roam between them oblivious to the fact of which one you are connected too ? 

Yes

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Struggling with this

Have a BT hub 6 and 2 unify access points (only 1 plugged in ).

Can't 'adopt' it.

Also it would seem hub 6 can't go into 'modem' mode.

Will the matter? (assuming I sort out this adoption issue first) - can people just connect to the AP and ignore the hub 6 wifi .

ARGH! not exactly plug 'n' play

Any help from unifi people appreciated 

16 minutes ago, pocster said:

can people just connect to the AP and ignore the hub 6 wifi .

Yes people can connect to the AP and ignore the Hub, in theory you can turn off the hua Wi-Fi (not sure how though as I haven't used one for a while).

17 minutes ago, pocster said:

Can't 'adopt' it.

You need a UniFi controller (Cloud Key, Web controller or on your PC) to set up and adopt the AP.

Lots of help on the UniFi site https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi/ct-p/UniFi.

WHat are you using as your controller?

If it is just on your PC and the PC is connected to the same hub as the AP then just use the Chrome extension to find the AP.  Or if you AP is plugged in and you know the ip (from the Home Hub page), you can SSH into it and 'Set Inform' pointing it to the controller.