laminate worktops.

Hecateh

I'm using laminate in my kitchen not just because it is cheaper (but mostly so) My sister and my brother and his wife hate their granite.  If they don't wipe a drip up straight away then it marks.  BUT I know there are others that are great. BUT i have had laminate in my current kitchen for 18 years and there isn't a mark on it.  So laminate feels like a choice rather than a compromise.

However, I am having an island and few places seem to cater to this.  If necessary I will even join 2 back to back. But I would love a single piece to cover my island, without it costing the earth.  The island is planned at 1200 sq but I haven't ordered yet and am trying to find wide 1200mm laminate but could increase or even decrease this if I can get the cover.  Could go down to 1000mm wide if that means I can buy something 'off the shelf'.  If necessary I will even paint some chipboard on a temporary basis.  

Has anyone any experience of getting extra wide laminate or any ideas where I can look?  

I know B&Q have islands in there displays They are at least a 1000 wide So they must sell it

Even if it means waiting for a couple of weeks for it to come in 

Though when you enquire I would try to look interested in buying a full kitchen 

Weve bought single items from them over the years and they have always been really helpful 

9 minutes ago, nod said:

I know B&Q have islands in there displays They are at least a 1000 wide So they must sell it

Even if it means waiting for a couple of weeks for it to come in 

Though when you enquire I would try to look interested in buying a full kitchen 

Weve bought single items from them over the years and they have always been really helpful 

That's an idea - kitchen, bathrooms and building they are definitely a no no BUT finishing touches maybe.  I'll go and have a chat.  Thanks 

2 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

We had a large island in our last house probably 1800x 1100 if my memory serves me correctly and the laminate worktop (classed as breakfast bar) came from howdens 

That's another good one.  Thank you

Ikea and DIY kitchens just don't do anything other than the standard worktops

Edited by Hecateh

19 minutes ago, MrMagic said:

I'm afraid this pace is darn sarf - http://www.mitchellsworktops.co.uk/laminate-worktops.php - but have a flick through the brochures they link to - it lists all the stock sizes they come in, then find somewhere local to get it.

Thanks - it must be available elsewhere

14 minutes ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

Breakfast bar is normally 900 deep. Can you not just back to back two 600’s 

back to back is a considered idea

11 minutes ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

Perhaps with a trim strip down the centre? Perhaps an acrylic bar?

that floats my boat - make a feature of it.

6 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

No ours from howdens was definitely in one piece 

I am definitely following this up  Thanks

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vivienz said:

Worktop Express have just introduced a new range of laminate worktops. I'm not sure what sizes they offer it in, but I'm going to get my walnut worktops from them, including my oversized island.

I researched the topic first and have save them from previous recommendations on here. I think they are definitely someone to talk to

I really don't get the fashion for stone worktops at all.  Every house we've ever owned, bar our old house and the new one, has had laminate work tops.  I can't ever remember having any significant problem with them over the years, with the exception of the worktops originally fitted in our old house, where the person that fitted them failed to seal the joints and positioned one joint right next to the sink.  Needless to say water got in and made it swell. 

In terms of the surface, all seemed easy to clean, durable and generally fit for purpose.  I replaced the laminate in our old house with some laminated together double layer 18mm MDF, topped with ceramic floor tiles, and that's worked OK, but was a lot of work.

The new house has Silestone, but it cost well over £7k, and frankly I don't think it's good value, but it wasn't my decision...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We’ve got secondhand granite and a custom made oak section for the breakfast bar. Whole lot cost about 750quid or so. Plus a fair amount of faff... the Oak was from worktop express as it happens. 

For what it’s worth the stone is lovely, exquisite. But functionally equivalent to a bit of 40quid laminate ? 

Edited by Lesgrandepotato
More info
  • Like 1

If you can't get the size you want for the money you want to spend I would look on eBay to see what comes up. I don't think a join in an island would look great TBH.

The island can be a contrasting colour to the main kitchen 

There is this one on eBay but it's quartz (and given the price surely there's a catch?). Near you though. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grey-Star-Galaxy-quartz-Worktop-1200mm-x-1200mm-x-30mm-100-incl-vat-collection/292078321734?hash=item4401398046:g:PwwAAOSww3tY5jfQ

You can back to back standard 600 work surface using the normal method you use for a corner. Bolts under the joint all the way along, coloured bonding sealant and if you want to really line it up properly then biscuit joints will help. 

You could...... do a set of mitre corners and get it with a bullnose all round but that’s going to take a joiner with some skill ..!!

16 minutes ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

We’ve got secondhand granite and a custom made oak section for the breakfast bar. Whole lot cost about 750quid or so. Plus a fair amount of faff... the Oak was from worktop express as it happens. 

For what it’s worth the stone is lovely, exquisite. But functionally equivalent to a bit of 40quid laminate ? 

Exactly - whilst I want things to look good - it's definitely function over fashion for my choices

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You can back to back standard 600 work surface using the normal method you use for a corner. Bolts under the joint all the way along, coloured bonding sealant and if you want to really line it up properly then biscuit joints will help. 

You could...... do a set of mitre corners and get it with a bullnose all round but that’s going to take a joiner with some skill ..!!

who will charge accordingly.  If necessary it will be white contiboard to start with and I will wait till the right thing comes up on ebay

13 minutes ago, newhome said:

If you can't get the size you want for the money you want to spend I would look on eBay to see what comes up. I don't think a join in an island would look great TBH.

The island can be a contrasting colour to the main kitchen 

There is this one on eBay but it's quartz (and given the price surely there's a catch?). Near you though. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grey-Star-Galaxy-quartz-Worktop-1200mm-x-1200mm-x-30mm-100-incl-vat-collection/292078321734?hash=item4401398046:g:PwwAAOSww3tY5jfQ

Newhome you are amazing - I've been looking at options and have never come upon this company.  - I will def follow this up

1 minute ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

Remember you need your hero pieces, not everything’s needs to be a hero. A couple of good bits will lift it all

Like that - I have made lots of compromises but have stuck out for some things - bifolds over sliders for example.  

The island lighting will be more obvious than the island itself

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Exactly - whilst I want things to look good - it's definitely function over fashion for my choices

There are some very stylish looking laminate worktops available now. Doesn't have to be plain Oak or a butcher's block type effect.