laminate worktops.

Hecateh

14 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

The guys that fitted our stone worktops used either acetone or MEK to clean them after fitting, so I'm pretty sure they are OK on stone surface, just watch for spillage as both will attack a wide range of plastics, paints, varnishes and even silicone based sealants.

Thanks. I will try acetone. Do I need to leave it on there or just wipe it? You forgot nail polish ?? in the list ?. Will have to wear gloves lol. 

9 minutes ago, newhome said:

Thanks. I will try acetone. Do I need to leave it on there or just wipe it? You forgot nail polish ?? in the list ?. Will have to wear gloves lol. 

Gloves are a good idea, but both MEK and acetone tend to permeate latex gloves slightly and both DEFINITELY remove most types of nail polish!

Just a wipe should give an idea as to whether it will remove it.  Both acetone and MEK evaporate very quickly, so it's hard to get the stuff to stay on a surface for long.

• Thanks 1

And the verdict ....

Got one of the marks out, a line on the splashback behind the hob so something cooking related I imagine that wouldn't shift with normal cleaner. It didn't touch the 3 ring marks on the worktop though unfortunately. As I'm not clear what actually caused them I don't really know how to prevent them TBH but guess I will just have to be careful to not leave anything sitting on the worktop that might cause a ring to form. Having said that, the hubby managed to do something similar to the laminate worktop in the utility room (God knows what with) so laminate can mark too. 

6 hours ago, newhome said:

And the verdict ....

Got one of the marks out, a line on the splashback behind the hob so something cooking related I imagine that wouldn't shift with normal cleaner. It didn't touch the 3 ring marks on the worktop though unfortunately. As I'm not clear what actually caused them I don't really know how to prevent them TBH but guess I will just have to be careful to not leave anything sitting on the worktop that might cause a ring to form. Having said that, the hubby managed to do something similar to the laminate worktop in the utility room (God knows what with) so laminate can mark too. 

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

McEwans can .....??? ?

The only marks that have been 'challenging' in 18 years on laminate have been:- Tins leaving rust marks (but that has been mainly on the stainless sink) and curry/turmeric. --  And a bit of splashed gloss paint but that is a different story

43 minutes ago, newhome said:

Lucky for you they were here before you lot turned my house into a lads’ drinking den! ?

We were happy with just the one can but apparently a case of Belhaven and one of McEwans was provided .... 

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

We were happy with just the one can but apparently a case of Belhaven and one of McEwans was provided .... 

??? I don’t recall the question ‘shall I get more beer on the way home’ being greeted with ‘no we’re fine with the one can’. And anyway you downed a bottle of vino too I seem to remember ... 

Nope, I only drank wine in the pub - you had the bottle of white on your own on the Sunday night having made a miraculous recovery from the Sunday morning hangover. I was still dying by then ..,.. 

12 minutes ago, newhome said:

Nope, I only drank wine in the pub - you had the bottle of white on your own on the Sunday night having made a miraculous recovery from the Sunday morning hangover. I was still dying by then ..,.. 

Tough lads. Did you ever find out what happened to the glycol they drained off from the ST system? :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Tough lads. Did you ever find out what happened to the glycol they drained off from the ST system? :)

Well now you come to mention it the ST doesn't work ... O.o

• 2 weeks later...

A little nudge on this topic and closer to the original thread.  I'm off to see a friend in Birmingham shortly and I noticed that Worktop Express have a showroom in nearby Smethwick, so I'm going to go and have a look at their new laminate surfaces as well as anything else there.  I shall report back with any observations.

• Like 1