I demolished your house, but I'm not moving the debris!

laurenco

14 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

You sure about that?

Having described how hands on my self build has been I get...

That was because how you chose to articulate what you are doing came across as ‘I won’t run into difficulties because I’ve done all of this’, ergo it sounded arrogant. That’s very different from a separate post started by someone showing us a milestone in their build that they are proud of. 

5 hours ago, newhome said:

Do they ‘eck as like!

IT had, latest research seems to point to improvement as the industry matures, the worst overspend record of them all, fortunately there are no self builders so its either corporate or public sector that bears the brunt of the undiscovered ruins in the spec / test plan / hardware / network / database / integration etc.

@laurenco if you do go down the crush-on-site concrete route I would be really interested in how it works out in terms of time, costs, dust and noise etc as I have been put off in the past.  The build we have just done is town centre and it would not have been possible but I would consider it in the future.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

IT had, latest research seems to point to improvement as the industry matures, the worst overspend record of them all, fortunately there are no self builders so its either corporate or public sector that bears the brunt of the undiscovered ruins in the spec / test plan / hardware / network / database / integration etc.

Yep IT overspend is cringeworthy for sure. When I was in charge of the budget for this house I viewed it as my mission in life to keep on budget as the reality was that the pot was dry at a certain limit. No going to an internal committee and asking for more dosh as in the world of corporate IT. Keeping on budget came with some compromises here and I wish I hadn’t compromised in all of those areas but what’s done is done. 

Right then, what have we got so far?

• be careful about talking to contractors
  • take notes
  • try and formalise the agreement
  • maybe write it down
  • accept that self-building is a set of steep learning curves
  • ask for advice on BH before hand
  • take a little time to do some research before  diving into 'it'
  • the power of a recommendation
  • disposal off site for materials requires a paper trail (Household Duty of Care)
  • check waste carriers license 08708506506
  • consider on site crushing
  • Self building is bumpy : straighten-up and fly right despite the turbulence
  • be present at the build if you can

and finally,

• Dont bother engaging @jack as a bodyguard.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

The mountain would be smaller once crushed. If you did have too much at the end you'd get plenty of takers for it I'm sure. Factor in some bottles to placate the neighbours if it's that noisy! :)

already done bottles!! Good call.. turns out our neighbours all love Port 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, newhome said:

There are a multitude of reasons why people self build and a multitude of ways of managing it. The only certainty is that you need to be on the ball and aware whatever route you take. For many it’s the satisfaction of saying I built that and having created a unique house that they wanted rather than having a house designed for the mass market. Plus many will want to oversee the operation and do as much as they can themselves. Just like self build houses we are all unique individuals bonded by a common goal and formed into a community via this forum. Self building can be a lonely place but it’s forums like this that help overcome the feeling of isolation. Whether it’s empathy, advice, hard messages or however you want to badge it, it’s the sense of community that makes this a great place to be. 

here here @newhome

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

@laurenco if you do go down the crush-on-site concrete route I would be really interested in how it works out in terms of time, costs, dust and noise etc as I have been put off in the past.  The build we have just done is town centre and it would not have been possible but I would consider it in the future.

If we do @Mr Punter I'll let you know

42 minutes ago, newhome said:

That was because how you chose to articulate what you are doing came across as ‘I won’t run into difficulties because I’ve done all of this’, ergo it sounded arrogant. That’s very different from a separate post started by someone showing us a milestone in their build that they are proud of. 

Shock horror, in a self build forum it is offensive to detail personal hands-on accomplishments to illustrate one end of the personal responsibility spectrum.

• Confused 1

Just now, epsilonGreedy said:

Shock horror, in a self build forum it is offensive to detail personal hands-on accomplishments to illustrate one end of the personal responsibility spectrum.

Context Watson, context.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, laurenco said:

If we do @Mr Punter I'll let you know

If you do go down that route then a good supply of water is a must to keep the dust down. A few sprinklers well placed should be enough. When it's done then some polythene over the mound to stop it blowing away.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Right then, what have we got so far?

I would add "Pile your spoil in sight of a public road and they will come with offers to take it way".

I had two requests to take some of my trench dig spoil away within a week. Yesterday evening while laying trench blocks and enjoying the local bell ringing practice a bloke appeared and asked if I owned a 4m3 heap of heavy rubble on the edge of my plot which he wanted for a garage project.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I would add "Pile your spoil in sight of a public road and they will come with offers to take it way".

Bit different to round here then when they will ask if you can deliver it ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, newhome said:

There are a multitude of reasons why people self build and a multitude of ways of managing it. The only certainty is that you need to be on the ball and aware whatever route you take. For many it’s the satisfaction of saying I built that and having created a unique house that they wanted rather than having a house designed for the mass market. Plus many will want to oversee the operation and do as much as they can themselves. Just like self build houses we are all unique individuals bonded by a common goal and formed into a community via this forum. Self building can be a lonely place but it’s forums like this that help overcome the feeling of isolation. Whether it’s empathy, advice, hard messages or however you want to badge it, it’s the sense of community that makes this a great place to be. 

Nice uplifting prose and sentiment but getting down to brass tacks. If failure is the most likely outcome for a self builder then I think it is wise from the outset to comprehend the patterns of failure and how one's own build will avoid these patterns. Failure is the norm with software projects and as a result practitioners will state at the start of a project how prior mistakes are being addressed.

In your list of motivations to self build you do not mention the No.1 objective which is to put a better value roof over ones head than would otherwise be possible shopping for a house on the open market. Such financial realities do not figure on this forum and as a result of this culture I doubt the forum will ever represent the mainstream of self building.

This forum is not particularly welcoming to the individual who intends to roll up his or her sleeves and build an ordinary house using traditional methods. The forum is very accommodating as soon as such a self builder stumbles and needs specific help. Maybe it is a British thing, stoicism in the face of adversity is regarded as noble whereas positivity or success triggers cynicism. 

5 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

This forum is not particularly welcoming to the individual who intends to roll up his or her sleeves and build an ordinary house using traditional methods. The forum is very accommodating as soon as such a self builder stumbles and needs specific help. Maybe it is a British thing, stoicism in the face of adversity is regarded as noble whereas positivity or success triggers cynicism. 

Don't think you could be further from the truth. My own house is a simple block cavity build bungalow built using motar and with a dry dash finish. I even have some stonework so is about as traditional as you get. 

Lots of people here have went for block builds and timber frame. Both the 2 most popular traditional  build methods in the UK.

Are you not going for a thin motar type build. It's not exactly a traditional method.

Could you point out the posts where some one has posted about building using a traditional method and have asked for help and not been welcomed.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Failure is the norm with software projects

Not in my business ... 

38 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Such financial realities do not figure on this forum and as a result of this culture I doubt the forum will ever represent the mainstream of self building.

I’d say a good 75% of people have done it for this reason....

39 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

This forum is not particularly welcoming to the individual who intends to roll up his or her sleeves and build an ordinary house using traditional methods

Think you’re a little wide of the mark on this one... what the forum members try and do is give benefit of experience. And there is a lot of it. 

If you want to see a traditionally built brick and block build, with the foundations, drainage, floor joists, floors, roof structure, insulation, windows, UFH, first and second fix plumbing, boarding, staircase, kitchen, bathroom installations all done by a self builder who has rolled their sleeves up and has done it, just PM me and I’ll send you directions. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Not in my business ... 

I suppose this depends on the survey sample which for me is large clean sheet programming projects with IT team sizes over 15 and overall timescales of + 1 year (yes I know in the era of agile all projects restart after two weeks).

My definition for an IT project failure is running more than 30% over £££ budget or 50% beyond scheduled delivery.

52 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

[...]

In your list of motivations to self build you do not mention the No.1 objective which is to put a better value roof over ones head than would otherwise be possible shopping for a house on the open market.

[...]

Evidence?

54 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

[...]

This forum is not particularly welcoming to the individual who intends to roll up his or her sleeves and build an ordinary house using traditional methods. 

[...]

Evidence?

Forgive me, has something upset you? You're sounding  a bit out of sorts.....

6 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

This forum is not particularly welcoming to the individual who intends to roll up his or her sleeves and build an ordinary house using traditional methods. 

WTF would you want to? I live in a traditionally built house and have seen / been in a non traditional timber framed one to Passive standards. I know which one I'd rather live in. And that builder did a huge amount of the work himself. 

To be fair if ever I did my own I'd want a brick / stone skin but that's easily achievable.

• Like 1