Trac pipe

Russell griffiths

36 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Why TracPipe..? Can you not get the entry point closer to the appliance ..?

Not really, unless I want 2 cylinders sitting in the kitchen. 

Trac pipe? What else can I use

supply will be from 47kg propane cylinders mounted outside the garage, pipe needs to run under solid garage floor and then under block n beam house floor 

will measure distances later

out side will join to 2 cylinders via a change over valve

inside will feed a 5 ring gas hob only. 

What are the  other options as Trac pipe is dear as poison. 

3 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

can you not come up and over garage ceiling?

I could

but why would I ?

could I run it in copper over head ?

can it be left exposed? 

I have looked at the straightest route and that is straight under the floor and up behind the cooker. 

Edited by Russell griffiths

For my Gas run I used https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MDPE-YELLOW-POLY-PE-GAS-PIPE/152509406123?hash=item238244dbab%3Am%3Am6MLmW6c6EMW8nfnEvnjNWw&var=451866159573&_sacat=0&_nkw=yellw+gas+pipe&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313. It had to be buried out side the building, surrounded in sand and “Gas” tape above it, brought up outside the building (kitchen) and converted to copper before entering the building. Had it commissioned recently and curr3ntly cooking my tea with it ?.

We did the same, considering the cost of Trac pipe and the fact that it still causes concern inside the house we dug a trench around the outside of the house and laid gas pipe in that for a fire at the other end of the house from the boiler.

That should be fine, and done in copper too.

If all of those sub floor voids are ventilated then that won't be a problem. They just frown on you having a leak and charging a small cavity, whereas they're not so bothered about the larger ones. 

Duct from the bottles until the 'hollow void' with the duct sealed the dwelling side, and the other end of the duct visible and exposed to atmosphere. If a leak occurs it'll transport the gas to outside where it can be detected.  

Remember you only need 15mm, 22mm is way overkill. 

Edited by Nickfromwales
Bold text altered ?
  • Thanks 1

10mm plastic coated copper coil?  Well it's what I have used. Only 2 joints, one at the hob and one at the regulator.  In my case the bit from the hob (kitchen island) to outside is a hockey stick then straight plastic duct buried in the concrete to where it exits the wall.

Someone will now tell me how wrong and dangerous this is.

After having a good look on the tracpipe website, it states that for all LPG installations any pipe entering a building must be above floor level 

can you shed any light on this @Nickfromwales  is LPG heavier than natural gas or something so they don’t want it in a floor void. 

If this is the case it looks like I will have to run it surface mounted across the garage like @Alexphd1 suggested. 

Bloody hell life shouldn’t be this hard. 

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Is this because LPG is heavier than air so will pool in a sump?

I guess (hope) my buried pipe is okay as it is sleeved and exits above ground level outside.

Does it run downhill to outside, and is the duct end open to atmosphere?

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Does it run downhill to outside, and is the duct end open to atmosphere?

yes and yes (for now) though where it exits will get filled in with rocks as a French drain later on.  It's a continuous run of pipe off a coil, no joints in the duct.

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

yes and yes (for now) though where it exits will get filled in with rocks as a French drain later on.  It's a continuous run of pipe off a coil, no joints in the duct.

As long as trapped gas can get to atmosphere where it will naturally dissipate then you'll be fine. If that duct end will allow gas to fall to the void below the house then it could be an oops moment.   

21 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

As long as trapped gas can get to atmosphere where it will naturally dissipate then you'll be fine. If that duct end will allow gas to fall to the void below the house then it could be an oops moment.   

The duct is buried under the concrete sub floor so below the void so I can't see that happening.

On 27/07/2018 at 18:18, joe90 said:

For my Gas run I used https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MDPE-YELLOW-POLY-PE-GAS-PIPE/152509406123?hash=item238244dbab%3Am%3Am6MLmW6c6EMW8nfnEvnjNWw&var=451866159573&_sacat=0&_nkw=yellw+gas+pipe&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313. It had to be buried out side the building, surrounded in sand and “Gas” tape above it, brought up outside the building (kitchen) and converted to copper before entering the building. Had it commissioned recently and curr3ntly cooking my tea with it ?.

Was any old gas engineer happy about connecting to this? Where did you get the connections. My bloke didn't sound keen when I floated the idea once. 

10 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Was any old gas engineer happy about connecting to this? Where did you get the connections. My bloke didn't sound keen when I floated the idea once. 

I got a quote from a big Gas firm who did not suggest it was not right (the quote was huge and late) and it was commisioned by a local Gas engineer who also did not question it and had the fittings on board his van!