Neighbour protocol/ tree problem.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

The thing I learned during the time I was doing battle with this cat was that cats aren't like dogs.

“Dogs have owners, cats have staff”

Those ultrasonic things are hopeless. The rape alarm things tend to have more effect on a dog although it won’t deter a crazed one. But the downside is that you need to be there to use them. There is also a similar thing called a Pet Corrector that is a spray can of hissing air I believe. I haven’t used either as my dogs tend to mind their manners mostly but I might be tempted if a dog kept arriving in my garden. A water soaker or hosepipe might work well if the dog doesn’t like water (although one of mine loves the hosepipe and runs towards it not away from it!). 

4 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

That beats "It is a truth universally acknowledged.." into a cocked hat.

So tempting to sponsor a story competition with that as the defined opening sentence.

I suppose : After the incident with the sprinkler and the postman ...

”Fang the red setter never again saw postmen as potential victims, for the rest of his days.”

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

If you are there when the 4 legged visitors come then squirt them with a plant sprayer filled with water and a good slug of gin.  Try and get it on their face. They hate the gin and will clear off pdq.

You will have are the alcoholics hiding in the bushes making dog and cat noises waiting to be sprayed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Declan52 said:

You will have are the alcoholics hiding in the bushes making dog and cat noises waiting to be sprayed.

Ralgex on the nads makes for a good all round dog/cat/wino deterrent...

• Haha 1

Guest Alphonsox
1 hour ago, lizzie said:

If you are there when the 4 legged visitors come then squirt them with a plant sprayer filled with water and a good slug of gin.  Try and get it on their face. They hate the gin and will clear off pdq.

Are you kidding ? - Spray the gin in your face and forget the cats.

Edit - Cross posted with @Declan52

2 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

You putting it yours or the others???

Have to admit that was my first thought especially given his confession earlier that the missus only uses the bedroom for sleeping, and no wonder now he's confessed to this too :D

2 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

You putting it yours or the others???

I could tell a story involving a then girlfriend and after sports "massage" with the stuff that won't be forgotten in a hurry. But I won't! :)

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

After the incident with the sprinkler and the postman ...

After the incident with the sprinkler and the postman ...

Joyce, the local spinster decided that ...

Edited by Hecateh

14 minutes ago, Onoff said:

It's burned into my "memory" forever...

Hey, as a further thought does that mean your brain and your nuts are one and the same?!! Shouldn't be surprised I guess ...... :ph34r:

1 minute ago, newhome said:

Hey, as a further thought does that mean your brain and your nuts are one and the same?!! Shouldn't be surprised I guess ...... :ph34r:

Isn't that true for all blokes? :)

• Like 1

Hey guys sorry Ive been a bit down in dumps/ & didnt see any replies had been made since my last spiel.

Hugely appreciate the support. I actually said to the CPO how 'you guys'/ a great forum I stumbled upon, as I have, has been more supportive than my entire family.

Well mrX now looks v. unhappy about CPO visit, their call to the CPO themselves having backfired into a visit to them, as it did.. now he's eying up my hedges (i suspect either criminal damage/ obvious.. or what im cocncerned about: planting knotweed sprigs xy&z places, as they could easily do with their expertise & prevelance of available source in field opposite us, in easily hidden areas I couldn't cover with cameras).

I already suspect they've put cat faeces in my planting patch I had ready, I think buried just under surface (as they know the cats make me angry/ my achilles heel to react to) so once all dug over my gloves/ trowel/ trousers & whole patch covered & stinks, & I had to throw out troos/ gloves/ disinfect hands 5x until smell gone (I even thought it might be human so strong it was). £15 that cost me. THIS is a depressing course, but, Im leaving it to chance/ the cat alone (likely both put out for the whole nights now so I have double the ammount as before) for now or I'll just get depressed about it. Its not tho. If happens again- on my next area, then undeniably deliberate/ another CPO call > visit & a caution?

Im now having to consider cameras.. sigh. The damn tree now is a distant thing/ a bygone. People can be so dreadful: this is one, perhaps the main reason I choose to live alone/ chosen to live out in rural wales to get away form a fair bit of other nonsense from people.

Honestly the more they see they upset you the more they will continue to do so, so do try to stay calm mostly if you can. The cat thing will pass but only if you don’t bite on it. Unless you have evidence that they are putting cat crap in your garden there is nothing that really can be done because cats are free to roam and crap wherever unfortunately. 

Better to direct your energy into getting your house sorted internally since that will be what makes your house nicer to live in and should improve the value. 

It’s easy to write this from here as I have great neighbours but I have had an issue with a neighbour in the past and it’s not fun I know so can sympathise.  

• Like 1

@newhome is spot on, and I speak from experience, having become obsessed with dealing with a neighbours problem tom cat.  Getting that thing to stop crapping on our drive drove me to distraction, and was out of all proportion to the level of nuisance it caused.

Neighbours don't have any legal responsibility to control cats, unlike dogs, and my experience has been that cats can't be made to do anything, they will behave as they see fit.  The garden of our first ever home was a good example.  I decided to create a vegetable plot and spent hours digging and sieving the soil to get a really nice seed bed.  Needless to say it was used as a cat toilet as soon as I planted the seeds, both making a foul mess and digging out the seeds.  I ended up covering the plot with chicken wire on a frame, just to keep the cats out.

We have got wound up with a neighbour once, but quickly realised that the most sensible option was to just move house, as it didn't take long to realise that there was no way the neighbour was going to change at all.  A bit drastic, but the good thing was that we moved to a lovely village over the other side of the Rhins, Portpatrick, where we had really wonderful neighbours.

There are some people who delight in being able to wind up, or take advantage of, others.  You're not likely to change them, so all you can really do is come up with a strategy to stop them getting to you.  I know that's easier said than done, but staying quiet and ignoring provocation, whilst putting in place the best measures you can to secure your boundaries and reduce the nuisance caused by cats, is the best course of action, I'm sure.

Back in the early-1970's, I worked with, and became close friends with, a chap from Antigua.  He found me my first bedsit when I was kicked out of home.  He had a car, when I didn't, and we'd often go out for a drink together, along with a fair bit of partying at weekends.  It was great fun, as he saw it as his job to turn me into an honorary West Indian, educating my on the delights of West Indian music and food.  What shocked me was the discrimination he faced everyday.  Back then few garages were self-serve, and attendants would invariably refuse to serve him because he was black.  The same happened in the bank one lunchtime - the clerk openly refused to serve him and told him to go somewhere else.  If this had happened to me, I'd have flipped, but his way of dealing with prejudice and ill feeling was to be extremely polite and thank the person, with a massive smile on his face.  He explained to me that he'd found it was pointless trying to change people's behaviour, as doing so would just get him angry.  By letting their prejudice and rudeness wash over him, and just smiling and being polite, he managed to cope with it and just get on with life.  He shouldn't have had to, but he'd learned the hard way that some people just won't ever change.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, newhome said:

Honestly the more they see they upset you the more they will continue to do so, so do try to stay calm mostly if you can. The cat thing will pass but only if you don’t bite on it. Unless you have evidence that they are putting cat crap in your garden there is nothing that really can be done because cats are free to roam and crap wherever unfortunately. 

Better to direct your energy into getting your house sorted internally since that will be what makes your house nicer to live in and should improve the value. 

It’s easy to write this from here as I have great neighbours but I have had an issue with a neighbour in the past and it’s not fun I know so can sympathise.  

Yes you're right- Ive tried to follow this course, but they can see me washing everything (we're so close all I do is seen, as my gdn is just a cleared area/ a blank canvas, them all hidden with exotic plants & bamboo barriers) & aware/ I can't hide here at all from them alas.. they know this & now always appear at btm of their gdn/ v close next to my kitchen to annoy me, unlike before.

Amazing that one word- sorry- was all it took from her, after her huge rage/ anger episode (about what I still have no idea- BS that I "said s'thing' about mrX's recently rip'd ma"/ total BS, as if I would!- so this bizarre oddity as to a reason lingers & makes me angry) to have put a line under the whole thing. Even a 1/2 hearted sorry I'd have (grudgingly) accepted. One word. But no, they choose to make ME 'the problem/ the cause' (the damn audacity & lunacy makes my blood boil if I think on it) refusing to apologise > but instead both provoke me to rub my nose in it, getting themselves a CPO visit as a result, & a reported issue with a n'bor to hinder their selling of their house. EH??! If they were inbred I could rationalise things somewhat: but they both have degrees, mrX has two & clearly very intelligent.. it beggars belief.