Basework on slope/ cabin.

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

@Onoff bloody hell.

Cool isn't it? Gutted I missed out on another one just like it. Incredibly heavy. Plan is a rocket stove type thing. It's paying for chunky, plasma cut plates that's stopping me!

SWMBO hates the thought of it gracing our patio. Tbh it'll show our patio up! 

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Cool isn't it? Gutted I missed out on another one just like it. Incredibly heavy. Plan is a rocket stove type thing. It's paying for chunky, plasma cut plates that's stopping me!

SWMBO hates the thought of it gracing our patio. Tbh it'll show our patio up! 

Erm.. I think Im with swmbo Onoff. I like it as a novelty diving helmet though.

52 minutes ago, TonyT said:

That flange piece could end up looking good, just got to have a bit of artistic flare.

my mate made this, my wife saw it ( I’m not on social media) and she bought it

it was a gas bottle

5B8D9197-74F0-4168-95A0-DE2FCC45491C.jpeg

Which helps to explain why Calor have a shortage of gas cylinders.......

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, zoothorn said:

@Onoff what the eck is it anyway? Looks like a US fire hydrant.

It's a water valve I got asked to help change.

Sits about 2m up in the air in a plant room and is bloody heavy. Done a couple now. All I have is rig a lifting tripod, chain block and sling it safely then test and certify the rig and lift the valve out. Only really complicated by the legs having to be 3 different heights.

On 12/11/2021 at 22:10, Onoff said:

It's a water valve I got asked to help change.

Sits about 2m up in the air in a plant room and is bloody heavy. Done a couple now. All I have is rig a lifting tripod, chain block and sling it safely then test and certify the rig and lift the valve out. Only really complicated by the legs having to be 3 different heights.

Looks like a job to put hair on one's bal*s. no chest. Bloody size of it!

Onoff give us your opinion on my ebay idea/ find would you.. its steel, i guess you cant expect iron or not needed for smaller fires:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185139190569?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D59a7a2c442cf4032a54f741d28b854ba%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D185139190569%26itm%3D185139190569%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DStoves&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Af8ee8939-43fa-11ec-b854-7a8650940a8b|parentrq%3A15efc0f217d0a74478810f4cfffe80ae|iid%3A1

Thx zooter.

47 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Onoff give us your opinion on my ebay idea/ find would you.. its steel

I think it looks very nice. The maker appears genuine. Saying about stoves gone back for a refurb, one of his early ones being 15 years old etc. Nice too it's made in England. 

https://m.facebook.com/champstoveco/?locale2=en_GB

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

I think it looks very nice. The maker appears genuine. Saying about stoves gone back for a refurb, one of his early ones being 15 years old etc. Nice too it's made in England. 

https://m.facebook.com/champstoveco/?locale2=en_GB

That's what I thought too. And £25 less on there.. me no have facebook but i guess i just create an acc. The only thing is, why they're back for refurb, but hey it's not a huge £waste if this idea doesn't come off. Make the cabin look purposeful at least/ good 'sell' point. Thx z

42 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

That's what I thought too. And £25 less on there.. me no have facebook but i guess i just create an acc. The only thing is, why they're back for refurb, but hey it's not a huge £waste if this idea doesn't come off. Make the cabin look purposeful at least/ good 'sell' point. Thx z

I would imagine these things see a fair bit of use on canal boats and in caravans. I'd be happy getting 15 years service.

I'm just jealous you'll have your own little escape pod to sit in next to a babbling brook with a wee dram and a good read! ? Imagine that...thick snow...bliss! 

I'd at least put up a battery smoke alarm in there in case you drift off in your rocking chair and have an extinguisher on the wall too. 

So you'll want a decent hearth stone for your stove to sit on and something behind to protect the wall. I'm thinking slate considering your locale? 

Then the "how" to do your chimney!

The clever people will be along shortly!

Yes some nice slabs of Welsh Slate would do nicely.

Flue is not difficult, use twin wall insulated flue for most of it, then you only need to keep that 50mm away from flamable materials.  the roof penetration will be the hardest bit to detail, or take it out the wall at 45 degrees and up the outside.

@Onoff some of us can look at a babbling burn from our living room or bedroom windows.

30 minutes ago, ProDave said:

@Onoff some of us can look at a babbling burn from our living room or bedroom windows.

Only thing that babbles here is SWMBO!

As posted before I can occasionally look out on this when the road floods during heavy rain!

27825387211_22c6b49f34_b.thumb.jpg.d74648fd32c5098d5c01692abe18532d.jpg

38 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Rainwater, nothing nasty.  Agreed it could be more discrete.

You could camouflage it...think I'd avoid netting in case wildlife get caught up in it...wrap it with a couple of big cable ties?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Napacoh-Artificial-Simulation-Furniture-Ornament/dp/B08MT39FN6/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?

15 hours ago, Onoff said:

So you'll want a decent hearth stone for your stove to sit on and something behind to protect the wall. I'm thinking slate considering your locale? 

Then the "how" to do your chimney!

The clever people will be along shortly!

Hi Onoff, useful extra pics/ info thanks.. I didn't see any of this. Yup this looks good to me, should be simple enough to do the flue.. relatively speaking. Just the roof insulation (1" celotex) to be very careful o, or as Proadave suggests 45* angled out the back & up.

Joined facebook to try get it on this marketplace ( never seen before/ thought it was a social media thing).. but get a mssg " not allowed to access marketplace". Bloomin annoying.

Yup a decent hearth, 2 sheet metal panels behind (maybe some heatproof lining for the backs of). Welsh slate.. yes ideally, but a piece this size bloody costly. Will hsve to be a cheaper option Im afraid.

14 hours ago, ProDave said:

Rainwater, nothing nasty.  Agreed it could be more discrete.

Ive seen similar bigger ridged black ones like this in our forest protruding 10 ft out, I wonder why they cant be just cut down to a ft or so, IE why not just cut this right back so its not seen? Lovely wee brook that but for the pipe.