Basework on slope/ cabin.

27 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Use threaded screws to metal dowels.

screw wood screw part into timber leaving thread exposed fox bracket with a nut.

Fair shout. You'll have to give him a picture though! 

853699322_ae235(1).jpeg.4159361182ed1905b08f74d54855f804.jpeg

@zoothorn, how about this, no screws for the most part, or the brackets even. Just make a pattern from card then transfer to some 2" timber. The ones against the wall should just slide wedge in there - no screws. You will need screws at the front overhang where there are no walls:

1621356168808-130612745.thumb.jpg.911cbb043d610803de47ee5429103eaa.jpg

Edited by Onoff

Sorry chaps Ive been deluged with work, plus simultaneous gardening threads & 3 on a music electronics site too: I cant & cope with any of them!

Great ideas/ suggestions muchos gratias.

The pack it out with a block idea @Onoff is too big a span to achieve really.. the overhang is 10" you see.

I like your reverse-cowgirl-inverse hook idea.. but as Joe said how would I access it.

I thought of packing out the edge with a wedge, to make it vertical.. but then my gutter sits to far away-!

--

I think maybe joe saying dont bother with gutters is becoming more appealing! but defo need it top LHS side, t'other side its a luxury tarty addition really, as it can drip off onto stream bank 10' below (but I'd thought of making a small platform here, to access underneath the cabin, a useful storage space: so a gutter would be of use).

Hmm. JSH would know what to do. I am summononing him.

thx tooting-zooter.

right with 10” overhang you can get up behind with a screwdriver so what about a short bit of bent metal strap screwed into back of rafter and bolted to gutter bracket......

image.jpg

52 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I like your reverse-cowgirl-inverse hook idea.. but as Joe said how would I access it.

As @TonyT suggested:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easydrive-machine-thread-to-wood-thread-dowel-screws-m8-x-x-75mm-10-pack/7618H?

You could use screws and keyhole slot the bracket for instance...coach screws too, an option. Can't be ar$ed sketching it and it'd be too much for you to contemplate...so won't! 

23 hours ago, joe90 said:

Ah, didn’t realise that?‍♂️

I think Ive worked it out-? I'll fall off me perch if so..

@Onoff 's idea adding timber.. but simpler. 4x3 timber ~10" long bits screwed under t&g roof board (so perp to gutter) shape the end to wiggle round the baton under roof lip, & cut its end at an angle- to make it vertical.

Hopefully not get heavy enough to stress the t&g roof section its attatched to, if I put 3 brackets/ 3 timbers in each side.

thanks chaps. zH

@joe90 aha.. that bent metal idea seems simplest. Forget my timber chunk then.. didn't see this idea Joe, terrific cheers.

@Onoff apologies I can't quite figure out the screw/ machine screw end things idea.. I can't picture it, as I've never seen these before i think.

Dont worry I think joe's idea might work..? if I can find a bit of metal. any old rusty bit's ok surely if no water gets under here once gutter on.

grateful- zoot

sorry if this has been asked before but why do you want gutters?

Its not like the rain is going to run down onto the front deck - its all going off to the side.

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

I think Ive worked it out-? I'll fall off me perch if so..

@Onoff 's idea adding timber.. but simpler. 4x3 timber ~10" long bits screwed under t&g roof board (so perp to gutter) shape the end to wiggle round the baton under roof lip, & cut its end at an angle- to make it vertical.

Hopefully not get heavy enough to stress the t&g roof section its attatched to, if I put 3 brackets/ 3 timbers in each side.

thanks chaps. zH

It'll be fine. A good heavy snowfall one year will test your brackets! ?

I'd not fix to the t&g roofing but the long edge bits as aforementioned.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2021 at 21:20, jfb said:

sorry if this has been asked before but why do you want gutters?

Its not like the rain is going to run down onto the front deck - its all going off to the side.

well I was sort of assuming I needed them.. maybe I dont then!? I think RHS can drop off to stream bank/ ruled out this side then, so if just doing topside (LHS) I make it ~£55 to get the bits for this. If its £75 to get a 'pack' for both sides.. kinda makes sense to do both! so erm..

As usual I admit i dont know me oorse from me elbow jfb.

• 2 weeks later...

@Onoff further to your enquiries re. useage: last 2 night I've kipped in it.. great success, though the stream's quite prominent so takes a while to drift off. But got some lino (had lined up for porch job/ now ideal for cabin) down/ a futon.. & I'm 1/2 back in my vw camper parked up wild next to some river somewhere late 90's. Happy as a pig in the proverbial. It does offer me possibility now of doing b&b next year too.

zH

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zoothorn said:

@Onoff further to your enquiries re. useage: last 2 night I've kipped in it.. great success, though the stream's quite prominent so takes a while to drift off. But got some lino (had lined up for porch job/ now ideal for cabin) down/ a futon.. & I'm 1/2 back in my vw camper parked up wild next to some river somewhere late 90's. Happy as a pig in the proverbial. It does offer me possibility now of doing b&b next year too.

zH

I envy you.

What you need is a wife to f*** up your idyll. I've one going spare, can post. Be warned though, miserable ?

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I envy you.

What you need is a wife to f*** up your idyll. I've one going spare, can post. Be warned though, miserable ?

Hahaha!. Tbh 1st time in my life I'm happier, I think, without.. some 'freedom perfect idyll' you just seek after having a vw camper ~I reckon.

But you have your cabin, even more rustic than mine! tell her you've had enough & off to kip in it for a few days!

• 5 months later...

Chaps,

what do you think of the idea of a diddy log stove in my cambrian chalet? feasable... or idiotic/ from a madman's dream-?

I mean a tiddler, 1.5 / 2kw for eg. if they come that small. A reminder, it's a 3 x 3m inside.

My stone living room so cold during day you see, altho ok on my log burner nights (weekend)... that I need a hunker down warm day room, thinking this might be cheapest idea. Plus a groovy addition as it were.

Thanks, zoot.

A chap at our sailing club has a tiny stove in his wooden yacht, almost certainly smaller than your shed.  It burns charcoal.  You put a tea light in the bottom, load it up with charcoal, and light the tea light and it smoulders gently for some time keeping the boat warm without setting it alight.

I put a small WBS in our static caravan, a very cheap one made in China from an on line supplier

I had some offcuts of stone worktops that made a hearth and protection from the heat for the caravan.  Nothing burned that should not have.

stove_2.thumb.jpg.5157cbdcaae851879a41dcba724a1110.jpg

Hi @ProDave great, that's got to be another project then.. I'll research charcoal burners, & tiniest stoves: yours looks ideal for a bigger static caravan, good hearth example too. 

I've already seen 'pipsqueak' stoves, china jobs i guess, so tiny you can barely fit a cooks matchbox size log in.. but still whack out 3 kw: surely I dont need that figure if my house stove is 8kw for a biggish living room.

Interesting. Thanks, zh