Gate Pillars

Onoff

14 hours ago, Onoff said:

Well the Chinesium bits did their thing. Make that Chinesium BIT as in I only used one. Forty two 25mm holes in 5mm 304 stainless plate aided by the odd squirt of finest Machine Mart cutting fluid from a Lucozade bottle. It's still SHARP FFS!

Come on give us a link then !

37 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Wow.  Never seen this before.  Is it just mortar?

Looking forward to seeing the flint infill (although obviously not trying to rush you).  The panels look more substantial than I imagined.

4:1 building sand/opc with added Integral waterproofer.

36 minutes ago, pocster said:

But then what ?

I miss the bathroom biblical epic ?

Jesus! Dig up stairs room adjacent to the bathroom to allow UFH routing to all other rooms, garden room, hip to gable conversion on the house, rebuild the stable, re roof and ewi the house, lounge diner knock through. Lower floors in kitchen, conservatory (and lounge). Excavate around whole house and slope land away from it, treatment plant, drive, storage over garage...

For now I might just do some infill fence panels either side of the pillars...

Not enough money or years left tbh! 

Just now, Onoff said:

Jesus! Dig up stairs room adjacent to the bathroom to allow UFH routing to all other rooms, garden room, hip to gable conversion on the house, rebuild the stable, re roof and ewi the house, lounge diner knock through. Lower floors in kitchen, conservatory (and lounge). Excavate around whole house and slope land away from it, treatment plant, drive, storage over garage...

For now I might just do some infill fence panels either side of the pillars...

Not enough money or years left tbh! 

Christ sake man ! Get a move on ! 
Even I’ll be finished before you I.e either completed or dead ? 

15 minutes ago, Sue B said:

Hey!  I’m praying for planning permission so I can use that walk on glazing on a house that I have no idea how we are going to pay for yet.  ??

I have no idea how I’m going to pay for mine either - that’s all part of the challenge. !

• Like 1

Bugger! Second pillar was going so well and we were paying closer attention to the joint thicknesses. I'd done a couple of arbitrary laser checks between pillars on the lower courses which said it was nom 20mm out one side to the other but then just carried on with this second one. Bear with me, just venting here, but I think I know how I'm going to mitigate unless any better suggestions.

Both columns will be 32 bricks high. Nom 75mm per course as in 65mm brick + 10mm mortar.

Looking from the front the first pillar is too high. At 26 bricks high its 1960mm where it should have been 1950mm by design (26x75=1950). The second pillar at 26 bricks high is 1930mm so 20mm too low.

Its round the back things have gone a bit wrong for some reason. 

I've not yet finished the second pillar:

2019-10-23_09-41-35

On the first pillar course 30 pretty much sits under the 100x100 gate member:

20191023_093333

20191023_094444

To the extent that to maintain a gap around the steel I cut a section out of the brick.

20191023_094512

Also did the top brick so it looks symmetrical:

20191023_093355

HOWEVER...the second post is coming out 45mm too low. Brick 30 will pass under it by a mile.

From the top of brick 30 to the the top of the grey post is 145mm. The top of brick No32 would therefore be just about level with the top of the post rather than showing a good, notched out chunk like on the first pillar above. 

20191023_093717

I think sitting here back in the warm that the grey posts are sitting at different heights. Off to measure/laser in a minute. 

If I do nothing and carry on then the front, road view will look right but the rear won't. Saying that pillar 2 will be forever covered by the gate.

Tempted to up these last 6 courses mortar joints from 10 to maybe 12mm to help mitigate the rear. That'd put the top of the brick about 20mm above the steel. I want to maintain some clearance around the post where it comes out of the pillar as there's some deflection if the gate is banged hard. Shouldn't tbh be a huge issue once the motor is driving it.

Off into the damp/cold for some more mulling! ?

• Haha 1

The first gate post is pretty much 20mm lower than the second. All pretty plumb and level, just lower:

First post / pillar:

20191023_111200

Second post / pillar:

20191023_111236

Thinking for a start to cut off and reweld the high post 20mm lower, might even get 25mm lower. It'll mean too trimming where it's slotted to engage with the gate. 

2019-10-23_12-05-56

2019-10-23_12-12-40

My roller assembly (though it works a treat) was a "temporary" lash up of Buffalo board cut to fit inside the box, nuts, bolts and reinforced hose. Very resilient and quiet:

SAM_8315

Out with the set square & grinder then I suppose!

Off down the modification rabbit hole I went...

Drilled 4 more holes to be able to move the roller assembly up, shortened the downward leg by 25mm and extended the slots. Also drilled 20mm holes through the top like on the other post for an M16 "safety" bolt (should the welds ever fail).

20191023_152303

20191023_152404

A quick flap disc:

2019-10-23_03-55-52

And a lick of galv spray as a holding coat:

2019-10-23_04-35-04

Next I'll lop off the L shape bit to weld it back on 25mm lower.....when I can find the backing nut for my 9" grinder..... ?.....last used when I cut the first stainless lintels up....probably stuck to the slitting disc.....now where's that.....

• Sad 1