Gate Pillars

Onoff

You mentioned leaving space between bricks and steel as it exits the pillars in case of deflection, if you infill the pillars you loose the separation between steel and brick. I would not infill them.

41 minutes ago, joe90 said:

You mentioned leaving space between bricks and steel as it exits the pillars in case of deflection, if you infill the pillars you loose the separation between steel and brick. I would not infill them.

I think that was mainly where the horizontal "arm" exits at the top? These gaps will be filled with foam, round glazing strip then probably have a 2-piece cover plate.

20191023_125102

Ref the whole thing moving...with hindsight I could have glued strips of old HV mat onto the 100x100 box then infilled.

I'll just have to risk the Tesco/DPD/kid just passed their test hitting it! 

I suppose that means I can get on with the wiring and flints...

• 2 months later...

I may have a crack over the long weekend at making a start on the flint infilling. I've trays and trays of flints like this. I mentioned somewhere previous these were collected by SWMBOs late cousin, a keen amateur  geologist who saw something we guess in every piece. They'll be know as "Martin's flints".

I've still yet to decide on the mix to set them in. 

One question is they've sat in water in the trays for a couple of years now. During extended dry periods this might have been stagnant. Some might now have a bit of "greenery" on them. Is it worth maybe giving them a quick scrub in a mild bleach solution before setting them?

IMG_20200826_193824700.jpg

Don't know about cleaning them, but just before they become a gate pillar,  is there any chance some of them may have been collected because they show signs of having been worked (knapped), as in, Neolithic hand-tool style?  Be a shame to accidentally loose them if  they might have some historical value...

3 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

Don't know about cleaning them, but just before they become a gate pillar,  is there any chance some of them may have been collected because they show signs of having been worked (knapped), as in, Neolithic hand-tool style?  Be a shame to accidentally loose them if  they might have some historical value...

Quite likely, though I don't know what I'm looking for. I'd hoped they would show clear fossils but I can't see anything obvious. 

Hydraulic as opposed to hydrated lime mortar. Does anyone have any pointers for using this stuff for doing my flints? I haven't a clue! Do I add sand to it etc? Cheers.

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/cement/blue-circle-natural-hydraulic-lime-3-5-25kg/p/649341

Also, super daft question can I drill flints? Arrow head tile drill maybe?

Whilst I've left cable ways for the mains feeds I was just going to drill and screw the coach lanterns on once done. I suppose I could faff and try and ensure the Rawlplug aligns with a mortar joint. 

Cheers

8 hours ago, PeterW said:

You won’t drill flint - it will shatter. 

Hydraulic lime added to a standard mix will be fine - 5:1:1/2 sand cement lime. 

Thanks. Thinking some more I'll resin fix some M5 stainless studs in, sticking out for the coach lanterns, then just infill around them. 

9 hours ago, PeterW said:

Hydraulic lime added to a standard mix will be fine - 5:1:1/2 sand cement lime. 

I guess a case of try it and see but I wonder how that mix will sit, colour wise with the 4:1 sand cement mix I used for the mortar? 

5 hours ago, Onoff said:

I guess a case of try it and see but I wonder how that mix will sit, colour wise with the 4:1 sand cement mix I used for the mortar? 

Well.. that’s had 2 years to weather hasn’t it ..? So it will look different for a while as it settles but should be fine. 

Hydraulic lime is for lime mortars. They only have sand and lime in them usually made from lime putty. 

Hydrated lime which you link to is added to mortars for workability and softens the mortar slightly. 

23 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Hydraulic lime is for lime mortars. They only have sand and lime in them usually made from lime putty. 

Hydrated lime which you link to is added to mortars for workability and softens the mortar slightly. 

Thanks. So what do I want for the 5:1:1/2 mix? Up until now I thought hydraulic but now not sure again!  ?

As I understand it the lime helps with flexibility so the mortar doesn't shrink away from the flints.