And the prize for the worst job during a self-build goes to....

Ladies and gentlemen, the much coveted prize for Worst Self Build Job  during The Build So Far (awarded annually by  the renowned Estate Agents Floggit And Run )

this year goes to........

cutting rigid insulation.

We are using a Bosch table saw with an attached hoover, proper nosegay, and googles. There's PIR in my nickers, down me bra, between my toes and under my nails. I loathe it. 

Only another 96 saw cuts to go.   'Kin' Ell Phhhhhhhh.

Kin'Ell?

Don't they make cheap power tools?

Seriously I feel your pain.

Out of interest, one for @PeterStarck, what's cutting icynene like "health" wise, itchy, streaming eyes, coughing? Does it smell like board type PIR and de-gas over time?

Just now, ragg987 said:

Rigid insulation is polystyrene?

Heat is simplest for light polystyrene. From a 9v battery across a resistant wire to more complex tools.

Tbh the hot wire cutter I dabbled with seemed to cut the foil layers either side OK along with the PIR itself.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Kin'Ell?

Don't they make cheap power tools?

Seriously I feel your pain.

Out of interest, one for @PeterStarck, what's cutting icynene like "health" wise, itchy, streaming eyes, coughing? Does it smell like board type PIR and de-gas over time?

It didn't cause any health problems. It degases very quickly with most smell gone after a day. It's a soft rubbery foam so there aren't hard gritty bits getting everywhere. It does cling to everything though and needs vacuuming off but that's about the worst of it. It's just the tedium of days of trimming.

That just sounds like a rite of passage to me.

Like the first time you use a chain saw. Every time AFTER the first time, you make sure your trousers are outside your boots.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I thought someone made a special blade for that, I think it has like a wavey edge and no teeth so not as much dust. 

Bacho make one which I've got. Don't find it that accurate tbh. 

6 hours ago, daiking said:

thought this was going to be a competition for your worst bodge.

I am massively disappointed.

Dont go there..... please dont go there.