Slating a roof or two: 1, learning resources

Sometimes you just have to suck it up. And now is as good a time as any to accept that we aren't going to get a roofer to come and help before Christmas. I have asked til I'm blue in the face: no dice. Debbie's being brave about it, conclusion:  I'd better  Just Bloody Do It.

So, I'll be paying for my own mistakes rather than pay for those of others.

Differently put: the Full-On-DIY -experience.

I thought I'd teach myself how and in the process, document it. And then read  your critiques. And wince I expect.

This post builds on the earlier thread about the Piggery, and the roof beam saga : that proved remarkably painless, and quite safe, for two people because we'd thought it through. It only weighed 160 kg : just over 7 meters long. £500 crane fees saved. The very nice man from Haldane Fisher's HIAB played a key role: it's reach was about 2 meters short of what was needed. Some ya win.

Where are we now? Here : a set of rafters which are currently subject to close inspection by our swallows, 

20180418_151419.thumb.jpg.3804800260f0920b190233ba09ccaeea.jpg

What's the roof build up?

• Rafters
  • Counter battens
  • Felt
  • Battens
  • Slate

There's provision for a few kWh of PV, and a Velux in there somewhere too.

I list the better resources I have found below. Most of them contain commercial material, none of which I or BH endorse(s). 

As usual when faced by this type of problem, I resort to YooChube, hence:

There are many other sites: 

There's nowt like reading the comments under many of the videos: my God they can be bitchy: I thought it was only lecturers who were bitchy about colleagues' practice.

I'll add to the list above time goes by. If you find a good support / teaching / learning resource about roofing and slating, please share it below.

Ian

• Like 2

On 02/05/2018 at 14:19, PeterW said:

The Nu-Lok system halves the number of slates and looks really good. Easy to learn and understand too

Ooo this is timely. As someone cursed by a conservation condition previously satisfied with an example of best Welsh slate this would save me mega bucks. Would an eagle eyed conservation officer spot the different lay pattern of this slate efficient system?

5 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Ooo this is timely. As someone cursed by a conservation condition previously satisfied with an example of best Welsh slate this would save me mega bucks. Would an eagle eyed conservation officer spot the different lay pattern of this slate efficient system?

They say the material has to be welsh slate, not how it has to be laid..... 

13 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Nu-Lok have already rung me this morning. They get up early in Eire.

I should be in a position to compare prices by early next week, I hope.

Can I volunteer as your assistant tiler for a few days if you proceed with nulok?

I assume the slate cost saving is greater than the headline 30 percent because smaller tiles can be used.

15 minutes ago, PeterW said:

They say the material has to be welsh slate, not how it has to be laid..... 

I might be ascribing too much power to the local demi god conservation officer who according to local lore dispenses more tyranny than a marcher baron with a hangover.

7 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I might be ascribing too much power to the local demi god conservation officer who according to local lore dispenses more tyranny than a marcher baron with a hangover.

I love conservation officers ... just can’t manage a whole one at once without a nice bottle of Malbec...

Anyway, they can only enforce what is on the plans and what is agreed. If it says on the plans that slates laid double lapped etc etc then you’re out of luck, same as if it says lead for valleys etc but if the plans say slate, the agreed in writing material is slate, then they can’t really comment on the rest ...

whats the exact wording of the condition or the permission...?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Remember he can’t force you to use welsh slate he can only specify colour anD texture etc, not the source. You are free to get slate from anywhere within the EU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...