Cleaning Sticky Labels off a Brushed Stainless Fridge

I have some old sticky labels that came with my ex-demo fridge freezer. They have been on for a couple of years 

The finish is stainless steel,and I need to remove them.

The initial advice from several directions has been to soften them with olive oil or baby oil then remove carefully.

Is it Ok to use a razor-blade glass scraper once I have softened the labels for a week or two? I am currently using the edge of a plastic card and it will take weeks of chipping away at it.

Has anyone done this and can confirm that scratches are unlikely?

Cheers

Ferdinand

Would acetone do it?

I am sure that Nail Varnish Remover is a very expensive way of buying a slightly different version of a common product.

Will try WD40, then order some Multisolve ... which is quite pricey. Can I buy that at any standard outlets?

I've just actually used Multisolve to remove some gummy labels and the residue of super sticky double sided tape from stainless steel control cabinets. Looks spotless but in a certain light there's still a "shadow". I might try WD40. Got a feeling I'll end up doing the whole panel!

Gentle heat is sometimes the trick on a full label if you can peel one corner and heat as you go. I use a hot air gun on its lowest setting. Hairdryer might work too.

Edited by Onoff

It's a matter of finding the right solvent for the adhesive on the label. Once you get the right one they usually come off easily. In the past I've tried Meths or even petrol.

6 hours ago, lizzie said:

My handyman recommends lighter fuel

Try that before petrol as it stinks less!