OH F**K!

Pocster

49 minutes ago, newhome said:

I think in theory if you pay any amount on a credit card (not via PayPal) you would be covered for the full amount but I would want to pay £100 or more to make absolutely sure personally. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases#deposit

There is some issue if they use a third party to process the payment I think.  Not just Paypal, some companies, rather than accept direct credit card do it through a third party.  Not sure of the details as it hasn't affected me.  

5 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

There is some issue if they use a third party to process the payment I think.  Not just Paypal, some companies, rather than accept direct credit card do it through a third party.  Not sure of the details as it hasn't affected me.  

I’d just pay the lot on cc then clear it at the end of the month to avoid interest .

Just now, pocster said:

I’d just pay the lot on cc then clear it at the end of the month to avoid interest .

Yes but if the company uses a third party to collect the payment you’re not covered. A bit like PayPal but not so obvious. Cunning stunts ;). Not sure how many companies do that in truth though. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, newhome said:

Yes but if the company uses a third party to collect the payment you’re not covered. A bit like PayPal but not so obvious. Cunning stunts ;). Not sure how many companies do that in truth though. 

Hmmmmmmmm ! Not covered either way . I shall prepare a 2nd cunning plan then for my next victim.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pocster said:

Though most companies seem to prefer direct bank transfer ...

This is becoming more common. I’m currently ordering some items from a company in Yorkshire and their first response was cash before delivery and oh here are our bank details for the BACS transfer, no mention of other ways of paying!

11 minutes ago, Triassic said:

This is becoming more common. I’m currently ordering some items from a company in Yorkshire and their first response was cash before delivery and oh here are our bank details for the BACS transfer, no mention of other ways of paying!

Hate that 

Our family has dealt with a local carpet shop for nearly fifty years

Now they want cash upfront and can we pay the fitter seperately 

Not good

There is a small carpet shop that does our rentals Him and his brother do all the fitting 

We agree a price on a hand shake

abd bacs pay him when he gets round to sending an invoice 

34 minutes ago, nod said:

Hate that 

Our family has dealt with a local carpet shop for nearly fifty years

Now they want cash upfront and can we pay the fitter seperately 

Not good

There is a small carpet shop that does our rentals Him and his brother do all the fitting 

We agree a price on a hand shake

abd bacs pay him when he gets round to sending an invoice 

first one bad 

second one good

very happy to pay however they want when I am happy with the results.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pocster said:

Offered an additional 280 + vat off 

Not interested .

I’ll give them the 48 hours and then start a CCJ

I'm grouting so can't  fully type but a discount ' plus vat' isn't possible - you can't add vat to a discount. You can reduce the price and vat calculated accordingly on the remaining balance. A supplier tried that one with me. Took a while to get my head around it. 

Edited by jamiehamy

4 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

I'm grouting so can't  fully type but a discount ' plus vat' isn't possible - you can't add vat to a discount. You can reduce the price and vat calculated accordingly on the remaining balance. A supplier tried that one with me. Took a while to get my head around it. 

I read that as the discount is £280 + the vat that would have been charged on the 280 so a discount of £280 but @pocster would actually pay £336 less? 

A moot point maybe given that @pocster is telling them where to go. 

16 minutes ago, newhome said:

I read that as the discount is £280 + the vat that would have been charged on the 280 so a discount of £280 but @pocster would actually pay £336 less? 

A moot point maybe given that @pocster is telling them where to go. 

Yeah . As usual with this firm their ‘offer’ is open to interpretation .

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Yeah . As usual with this firm their ‘offer’ is open to interpretation .

And if your build is vat reclaimable the +vat bit isn’t saving you any money anyway! 

• Like 2

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 18:46, newhome said:

Yes but if the company uses a third party to collect the payment you’re not covered. 

If you get caught by that find out if the company has a "Commercial Entity Agreement". If it does that section 75 of the consumer credit act might still save you..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/credit-cards/section-75-credit-card-warning-online-payments-lose-protection/

• Thanks 1