Bump Cap, or Hard Hat?

The only reason I can see to replace my current helmet with another one (dropped and deeply scratched) is the slots which allow ear defenders to be 'parked' on the helmet, and visor be slotted to the front.

I love the bump cap I bought for Debbie. Don't tell anyone, but I wear it  when shes not on site. And nobody points and laughs.

Mostly the bump cap does what it says: stops me bumping my noddle on the scaffold. Whereas my helmet is just big enough to make me duck a bit  more than I normally do - slips around when I don't want it to; and while its quite light-weight its a bit of a pain.

Mostly I'm on site on my own; mostly I nut myself gently (but painfully) on bits of scaffold. And nobody is going to drop a spanner on  my head.

Cap or helmet?

I hate the standard building site hard hats, as they always seem to be too high and a bit uncomfortable.  As a bump helmet I use my old caving helmet, which is a low-profile composite mining helmet, with a fabric webbing inner that is spaced a lot closer to the hard outer than the plastic thing on a building site helmet. 

As a consequence, it is a LOT more comfortable, yet still does a very good job of preventing your head banging on stuff like scaffold.  The downside is that, because it only has around 20mm between the top of you head and the outer surface, it doesn't provide as much protection against a heavy falling object as a standard helmet.  However, I took the view that I was far more likely to wear something more often if it was comfortable, and so accepted that it wouldn't work as well if someone dropped a block on my head.

TBH, I have doubts as to whether a standard site helmet would do much to stop something really heavy doing serious damage - I think an errant bolt or maybe a scaffold clamp sailing earthwards is about as much as any of them might handle.

I'm not sure if the helmet I have is still available.  It's marked inside as being the property of the National Coal Board, and is clearly made of something with a lot of what looks like woven glass, or perhaps fabric, reinforcement in it, and has a shape more like a cap than the newer, very bulbous looking, helmets.  I like the low profile, personally.

@recoveringacademic

The general rule is that site helmets should be replaced if they have been damaged in any way and in terms of lifespan it's usually recommended to replace them every 5 years.

The risk of something dropping from above will be very low if you're working on your own - I'm with @JSHarris and I'd wear whatever is most comfortable.

A proper hard hat will have a date stamped on the inside on when it needs replaced. Sun light supposedly makes the plastic brittle over time.

A beanie hat under a hard hat helps to keep it in place but then it gets to warm when you start working.

I would just wear the bump hat and be comfortable.

Scaffold lifts are purposely measured so that if you wear a hard hat you hit every pole. ( probably not true but it seems to be the way) 

if you like the bump cap you wear it. Between you me and everyone else here I just wear a baseball cap and have done for the last decade or so. It stops the clips from tearing into your skin and generally keeps most of the crap out of my hair. As for hitting the poles I would advise not walking into them. :D 

If you have a go camping store near you they have a rock climbing section and nearly always have offers on

you can get a very lightweight climbing helmet with vent holes for the summer

after 10 mins you will forget you have it on. 

or just wear the bump cap for on the scaffold, but put the good one on if lifting things on site with the crane or telehandler. 

Cave and Crag used to have a good store not that far away, at Ingleton, but I see it's now closed,  I wonder what's replaced it?  Ingleton probably has other caving stores, I'd think, given it's proximity to Gaping Gill and the Leck Fell Master Cave system, plus all the small peripheral caves around that area.

This is the best I have found out there, when I come to replace mine in a year or so this is what I will get my hands on:

https://www.jsp.co.uk/link/en/head-protection/evo-8-en14052-safety-helmets/evo-8-linesman-safety-helmet/evo-8-safety-helmet-linesman-orange/ahs240-000-800/p/?parm=CAT1JSP&prdcod=AHS240-000-800

I wear my hard hat all the time on site, after all it s what it says on the sign on the fence! Without it I feel naked now when working on site and I have had a couple of knocks (nothing dropping) that I would have known all about were it not for my hard hat. Also because I have one, and I keep a spare or two for the purpose, visitors all expect to wear one - which it says on the sign. I am not sure what my site insurance says but I suspect that not wearing the appropriate PPE might give them a let out!

Clip on ear defenders are great as they are always there to put on, or you can get neckband ones which work with a standard helmet. Comfort is important, I use a petzl helmet but they're 50 quid... 

I wear an EvoLite that has these fitted into it. 

https://www.jsp.co.uk/link/en/head-protection/hard-hat-accessories/evospec-safety-eyewear-evo-range-clear/ant010-200-000/p/?parm=CAT1JSP&prdcod=ANT010-200-000

They also have ear defenders on at times, and I find it really comfy. It replaced a Stihl forestry helmet which was brilliant and I only had one gripe that the visor was too far out for my liking. The JSPs allow you to get much closer.