Tiling...many questions

Onoff

Been so long I couldn't find the carefully mitred bits for the bath end! Still missing a couple tbh. Must have had a clear up at some time of all the timber in the bathroom and they got mixed up. 

2018-12-04_09-38-16

Found half the bits in the open but under the cover of the tree house which is a bit of a dumping ground. A bit damp. Waiting  for the Gorilla Glue to dry. 

8 hours ago, CC45 said:

Look again - all the shower head etc are missing, so lack of screen not too much of an issue currently.

I was joking about the lack of enclosure! :)

Friday eh? Should finish it off nicely. CT1 at the ready?

I'm not sure yet whether I'll need a screen / enclosure. I quite fancy some bespoke, hinged glass doors like @Nickfromwales has posted a few times and I think @ProDave has done recently? Guessing £££ though!

The hope is that the combination of the eventual UFH and overhead body dryer (both in but not connected) will help dry out my wet floor.

It's funny but way, way back I did consider leaving the doorway I blocked up open to create a walk in shower cubicle. Behind this is a corridor hived off of the downstairs master bedroom. The area where the old wc is in the picture below is now the wet room corner. I could have used the other half of the corridor and had a slim, walk in shower/wc off the master bedroom. Never mind!

P1210068

Whatever, looks a bit different now:

20181124_132627

Hoping to finish off the bath boxing in tonight. Then it's tank it and tile! Still awaiting a call from CT1 about whether I can use their Power Grab n Bond to whack the tiles onto the ply. It'd make it super quick to tile. Bit concerned though if the stuff is instant grab/dry. I like the idea of it only being a relatively thin bonding medium. Give CT1 their due they did email me back asking for my mobile to discuss the issue, I just haven't heard back.

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 2

I had a chat with Kevin from CT1. He covers the Midlands but is happy to talk / help on any CT1 related question.

Some interesting comments:

"Clear" products like CT1 are generally considered "weaker" than their coloured siblings. They don't add pigments. Apparently you can tell the difference if you pick up a coloured and clear tube of CT1.

Early 2019 they are reintroducing their WT1 tanking membrane. Before it had to be trowelled on but they have revamped it to go on with a roller.

They do a new Anthracite CT1.

If you order a pallet or more (2500 tubes?) they'll do it in a RAL colour of your choice :)

As to my enquiry ref using CT1 Power Grab n Bond to put tiles onto marine ply: If I was going straight onto the ply he said he'd have no issue. The fact I'm tanking he's worried about a reaction between the Aquaseal membrane and Power Grab n Bond.

Anyone know what Aquaseal is, polymer, latex etc?

He's suggested I stick a tile sample to a piece of tanked ply that has been then primed with tiling primer then another tanked but no primer.

Nice bloke anyway if anyone has a CT1 related question:

Kevin Cashin 

C Tec Midlands/ C Tec Ireland
Mob: 07943 652135
Ire:    086 0465614
Ph:    0121 439 5823
Fax:   0121 2850253

• Like 2

£24 worth of "let's try this stuff out":

2018-12-06_12-15-50

Seemingly the Aquaseal primer is a "styrene acrylic based polymer".

Had to travel to get this stuff in the picture whilst waiting for CT1 to tell me a local stockist. Turns out the BM in the next village carries it! :)

This stuff is apparently based on "ordinary" CT1 which is a hybrid polymer product so I'm hopeful it'll all be compatible.

EDIT: Nards! It's only £9.99 at the BM near me.

Edited by Onoff

20 minutes ago, newhome said:

You’ve finished that whole side now? Happy days! ?

Window wall inc reveal and one pocket done, awaiting grout.

WC wall and 2 pockets done and awaiting grout.

Tempted to grout these bits but I like to finish one thing before I start something else...

• Confused 1

Off into uncharted, make it up as I go along territory with this bath end panel!  Decided now to have just one bfo removable panel at the end which I'll pre tile before screwing on with some neat, diamond drilled screw holes that'll be siliconed over. Or something like that...still evolving.

20181206_222601

Pita that I've run out of 12mm marine ply aside from two bits when I was going to clad each half of the bath end. 

Biscuit jointed them together with Gorilla glue:

20181206_222550

On 05/12/2018 at 07:11, Russell griffiths said:

See how much you have done between those two photos 

stop being so bloody doom and gloom all the time

doing a bloody good job

some blokes can’t even change a plug. 

Crack on son looks smashing ??

That might be an inappropriate comment. ?

The 2 piccies are 7 years, 11 months, and 3 days apart.

Linear interpolation suggests that it might be GoneOff (this mortal coil) not OnOff by the end...

F

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

That might be an inappropriate comment. ?

The 2 piccies are 7 years, 11 months, and 3 days apart.

Linear interpolation suggests that it might be GoneOff (this mortal coil) not OnOff by the end...

F

In my defence I have been under a lot of stress during that time...

:ph34r:

• Like 1

On 17/11/2018 at 22:09, Onoff said:

Ah yes! The tiles coming up the overhang will need a chamfer to meet the trim properly:

20181117_214820

More fun will be this one:

20181117_214733

Still going to be left with "sharpish" corners on the trim here but better than it being 90deg. 

On 17/11/2018 at 22:42, Nickfromwales said:

I’ll tell you how to get around that ;) 

Not tonight though ?

@Nickfromwales, me again! :) Did you have some cunning ruse for trimming this corner without "sharp" edges. Getting close to it happening!

Was it on these lines?

56884-189e042ff57d9d1264bdebd1c8dd7e91.jpg

Cheers.

Edited by Onoff

18 hours ago, Onoff said:

Some things...

;)

Course we multitask. The very thought.

Perfectly capable of simultaneously appreciating the skills of at least two beach volleyball teams, AND drinking a glass of beer, AND supervising someone cooking lunch.

Bah-humbug!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Course we multitask. The very thought.

Perfectly capable of simultaneously appreciating the skills of at least two beach volleyball teams, AND drinking a glass of beer, AND supervising someone cooking lunch.

Bah-humbug!

Or watching motor racing, drinking beer and using the remote. That was my hubby’s best effort at multitasking but then he had lots of practice with that one ?

• Haha 1