Tiling...many questions

Onoff

40 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I promised warts and all! Looking down the run it's this "out". 

20181121_171034

Down the bottom I've to put 10mm of adhesive under the 7mm tile to get it at least a little better. In effect I'll get the tiles plumb from here on down.

Anyone, how do you invisibly join this sort of trim? I don't want water going inside.

20181121_184647

20181121_184637

20181121_184713

Ahem. Mitre it please :) Then by the time you’ve squeezed the grout arround you’ll struggle to see it. The joints should be superluged to keep them true before tiling moves things arround. 

I am assuming you must have a long run and are not just being tight by joining odd bits :) 

Edited by Barney12
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Dudda said:

This is all taking shape. Do you reckon you'll have it done for Christmas? You're making good progress lately with the tiling and it looks sharp. What's left after the grout? Hang the WC and connect the WHB? Anything else?

That's about it. Shower riser to drill and fit, tiling in the cupboard might have to wait. Pocket lights to threadle up/down. Towel rad to go on & UFH...nowhere to connect them to at the mo...Body dryer...in but no supply as yet. Speaker and spot positions in loft to be better insulated.

I'd like to get the door frame in asap but need to take the left hand wall back a bit.

Pre-tiling but best shot of the doorway:

20180814_215832

Frame needs to go to the left. That brick needs to go and then be finished off. More chain drilling I reckon.

20180814_215946

Bastards, I'm going back outside to clean buckets after realising just how much more there is to do! :)

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Ahem. Mitre it please :) Then by the time you’ve squeezed the grout arround you’ll struggle to see it. The joints should be superluged to keep them true before tiling moves things arround. 

I am assuming you must have a long run and are not just being tight by joining odd bits :) 

Yep long run. 2.5m stock length plus another 435mm bit.

Too late to mitre as the long length is stuck on. Another newbie mistake!

Edited by Onoff

Just now, Onoff said:

Yep long run. 2.5m stock length plus another 435mm bit.

Too late to mitre as the long length is stuck in. Another newbie mistake!

It will still be fine. Just superglue the next length tight up to it. 

.........next time :D 

A bit more done. I actually had to break the ice in the clean water bucket I'm using for the tile saw!

20181122_220720

20181122_220736

20181122_220726

20181122_220750

Maybe last two pockets and window reveal next.

As an odd aside it's been pretty cold in the as yet unheated bathroom. About 13degC. Lots of heat loss at the mo through the ceiling and wall conduits etc. What I found helped was tipping a jug of water down the wall drain to fill the trap. At the moment the waste just exits outside and is temporarily capped with an old aerosol lid duct taped on! Went up 3-4deg by the time I'd finished in there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, newhome said:

Getting there. How much more tiling to do? 

- A few under the basin

- Inside the cupboard 

- Window reveal - top & sides

- 2 pockets - sides

- Over the door & cupboard though want to get the door frame in before doing that and inside the cupboard.

- The bath pocket

- Bath deck and tapered sides

Starting to think about heat now, getting the UFH loop and towel rad jumped in to the ancient downstairs single pipe CH.

That's tomorrow night sorted then! :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, newhome said:

Does no one ever want a bath in your house? ?

Oh yes! 

It was in use but then I covered it over as a bench / working platform and to protect it. A few days hopefully and I'll have it uncovered ready for tiling 

• Like 1

It certainly is starting to look good. 

You and I both know that finishing is the devil, so do a snag list and itemise the final leg ;)  Just do one at a time and you’ll be done in no time. 

Nearly there, and it can be done for Xmas. 

I’ll get that UFH manifold packaged up and posted. Got the memory of a goldfish sorry ? 

It'll be bloody luxury when you get 2 showers and a bath finally on the go instead of everyone cramming into the ensuite (not all at once hopefully ...) ;). When's No. 1 son back from uni? That has to be your goal if he's to get first dibs surely? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, newhome said:

It'll be bloody luxury when you get 2 showers and a bath finally on the go instead of everyone cramming into the ensuite (not all at once hopefully ...) ;). When's No. 1 son back from uni? That has to be your goal if he's to get first dibs surely? 

Be renting it out I reckon when it’s done !

18 minutes ago, newhome said:

When's No. 1 son back from uni? That has to be your goal if he's to get first dibs surely? 

He finishes on the 14th so then or that weekend. 

28 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

It certainly is starting to look good. 

You and I both know that finishing is the devil, so do a snag list and itemise the final leg ;)  Just do one at a time and you’ll be done in no time. 

Nearly there, and it can be done for Xmas. 

I’ll get that UFH manifold packaged up and posted. Got the memory of a goldfish sorry ? 

No worries. Such is the life of a jetsetting Sunamp guy! :)Just debating digging a channel across the floor of the stairs room to the eventual manifolds final resting place. That's going to go down a storm...

Snagging list is a good shout. I'll do one later and depress myself!

Presumably everyone's seen the "Alexa play Dad's favourite song!" ad when the homesick girl's at uni ?

I messaged him the other day; "Alexa, cover the place in dust and lay some random pipes on the floor I can keep tripping over!"

Not impressed!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Snagging list is a good shout. I'll do one later and depress myself!

It's supposed to be motivational! There is something quite cathartic about ticking things off the list and seeing it get shorter B|

• Like 1

4 hours ago, newhome said:

It's supposed to be motivational! There is something quite cathartic about ticking things off the list and seeing it get shorter B|

Me, make a list?

Is it:

Window Reveal

Cut all 26 tiles

Stick on

or

Window Reveal

Cut 3 big soffit tiles

Stick on

Wait to dry

Cut 3 small soffit tiles

Stick on

Wait to dry

Cut 5 big left hand tiles

Stick on

Wait to dry

Cut 5 small left hand tiles 

Stick on

Cut 5 big right hand tiles

Stick on

Wait to dry

Cut 5 small right hand tiles 

Stick on

;)

Edited by Onoff

Middle ground! 

Window reveal

Fit 3 large soffit tiles

Fit 3 small soffit tiles

Fit 5 large LH tiles

Fit 5 small LH tiles

Fit 5 large RH tiles

Fit 5 small RH tiles

Have a beer ?

I don't think you need to include any 'waiting' in your list - your modus operandi appears to factor that in effortlessly ;)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, newhome said:

Middle ground! 

Window reveal

Fit 3 large soffit tiles

Fit 3 small soffit tiles

Fit 5 large LH tiles

Fit 5 small LH tiles

Fit 5 large RH tiles

Fit 5 small RH tiles

Have a beer ?

I don't think you need to include any 'waiting' in your list - your modus operandi appears to factor that in effortlessly ;)

I beg to differ. If I don't wait for the 3 big ones to dry I'll upset their position trying to fit the small ones!

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I beg to differ. If I don't wait for the 3 big ones to dry I'll upset their position trying to fit the small ones!

I don't think you need to list that you need to wait for them to dry ;). Anyway if you have another task on your list, say finishing the pockets, you can do step one of that whilst you are waiting for the big ones for the window reveal to dry. But that would mean multi tasking ;). Maybe start with a work breakdown structure and then creat a Gantt chart, then you can see the tasks you can do in parallel by adding the dependencies :) Or you could JFDI ..!!! :D

42 minutes ago, newhome said:

I don't think you need to list that you need to wait for them to dry ;). Anyway if you have another task on your list, say finishing the pockets, you can do step one of that whilst you are waiting for the big ones for the window reveal to dry. But that would mean multi tasking ;). Maybe start with a work breakdown structure and then creat a Gantt chart, then you can see the tasks you can do in parallel by adding the dependencies :) Or you could JFDI ..!!! :D

I think I might have a copy of Microsoft Project 2000 kicking around come to think of it...

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

If you new to tiling and getting stressed --then i suggest you think of using a tile levelling system --lots of different ones --heres a vid to show how some work 

definately takes the stress out of tiling

Did debate this but a mate tried them and couldn't get on with them plus I thought "How hard can it be?" :)

Probably not helped by the first time plastering having come out well. 

With hindsight etc!