Tiling...many questions

Onoff

Got to do the soffit of the window reveal first but made a start on the side tiles. 1mm gap as shown by the yellow spacers, 1mm gap to the window frame and 3mm between tiles.

20181130_212940

But...

I lined the reveal with 27mm insulated plasterboard. It means the tiles encroach onto the window frame. I knew that.

The black arrow is on the trim line...where you'd place the chisel if removing the trim and then glass. The square is touching where the tiles would if I keep the tile "square":

20181130_213038

Same the other side.

I think I need to angle the side tile face back to the black arrow in case I ever need to replace the glass.

I'll have to anyway as the same line follows up to the opening fan light where it's a faux trim line.

20181130_213536

At least I'm thinking about things! :)

Having the serious ar$e over this morning's events I couldn't be bothered mixing up adhesive so reached for the new tube of grey CT1. That and half a tube of clear got the soffit tiles up.

20181201_153848

20181201_153903

Edited by Onoff

11 minutes ago, newhome said:

How many (numerical) tiles to go? I'm sure you have them all on your 'to do' list :). We need a countdown! 

Rough count about 110, all cut ones pretty much. That includes the top and sides of the bath and bath pocket. Doesn't include inside the cupboard. 

Done for the 14th looking unlikely.

Need to do these side tiles. Going to run out of CT1 I'm sure.

Is Evo-Stick Sticks Like Sh!t any good? It's here doing nothing at the mo...

2018-12-01_04-24-57

And would it be "safe" to stick one with CT1 and the next with the Sticks Like Sh!t?

Ta

@Nickfromwales, probably should have used adhesive but in a Devil may care "mood"! :)

I've just wacked some horizontal beads of CT1 on the back of these two side tiles. Should have probably done vertical so if any water does get behind the tiles...

Whatever, if I put the next tile on there's quite a gap behind for the grout to fill. How do I over one that it will the grout sort it?

Cheers

20181201_164135

20181201_164029

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Grout will fill the gap, ooze behind a tad, and grab like hell to the dry ceramic. Doubt you'll even get to the board behind unless you go bananas. 

Ta. So can I carry on and use the Sticks Like Sh!t to carry on (and use it up)?

20181201_172810

One side goes from 5 to 3mm, the other is about 5 constant:

2018-12-01_05-34-09

20181201_172922

I could either whack some adhesive on there with the 6mm notched trowel or shoot out and get some more clear silicon or grab adhesive first thing. Or use the Sticks Like Sh!t up first.

Hi @Onoff and others,

how are you planning on finishing the gap between the wall & floor?  I'm lined up to grout the ensuite tomorrow and not 100% sure how to finish between the shower tray and the wall tiles.  Its all tanked beneath the tiles so I'd thought of grout 1st and then over seal with some silicone - how are you planning to do between your bath and wall tiles?

Cheers

CC

36 minutes ago, CC45 said:

Hi @Onoff and others,

how are you planning on finishing the gap between the wall & floor?  I'm lined up to grout the ensuite tomorrow and not 100% sure how to finish between the shower tray and the wall tiles.  Its all tanked beneath the tiles so I'd thought of grout 1st and then over seal with some silicone - how are you planning to do between your bath and wall tiles?

Cheers

CC

I've left a credit card size gap between the bottom of the wall tiles and the floor tiles. I'll grout then wipe flush and finish with a white, good quality silicon that I can replace as and when. Can't remember if @Nickfromwales said to CT1 and wipe flush after the grout but before the white silicon?

My bath doesn't abut the walls as such but sits on a marine ply deck that will all be tanked. That'll be flat tiled first. The bath will sit on those flat tiles. The wall tiles will come down and sit on those flat tiles with the same 1mm gap as elsewhere.

In case anyone's forgotten what's under all the crap and temporary boarding:

20170108_160709

Edited by Onoff
  • Thanks 1

That's it for tonight. Run out of CT1 & Sticks Like Sh!t:

20181201_210156

Off to Screweys in the morning to get another couple of tubes of Sticks Like. Debating buying a box of 12 for £60 and doing the bath tiles with that. Then though I think I should use plain old clear silicon or tile adhesive what with the substrate being ply. But it'll be tanked so why not tile adhesive? I just don't know what way to go!

Did find a couple of generic adhesives, one expired Oct 2014 and the other had Oct 2014 as the manuf date and a 24  month shelf life!

20181201_210533.thumb.jpg.86d68f7eff47d9efe7d429b4c4876636.jpg

Maybe I should bin 'em? :)

Edited by Onoff

In the absence of anywhere open to get CT1 today I thought I'd give this a try:

20181202_104839.thumb.jpg.7da9637ebca6454d22a376168dd7d797.jpg

Going to use it to stick some tile trim on where I would have used clear CT1. Maybe also the mosaic strip across the long shelf above the bath. Tbh it's nearly a tenner a tube. I can get CT1 at the local BM for just under £8.

Be interesting to see if baby wipes take it off. 

Onto the mosaic strip / upstand across the bath wall:

Two mastic guns at the ready:

20181202_134719

Pencil marked the top and bottom of the trim on the painted wall at each tile:

20181202_134644

20181202_134700

Ran a line of decorators caulk along the top line and, no pic, a line of Sticks Like along the back face, bottom edge of the trim:

20181202_135715

Pushed the trim onto the wall into the caulk. Some 20p sized blobs of Sticks Like on the tile backs:

20181202_140022

Pushed the tile in and brought the trim down level to meet it:

20181202_140131

Took the excess caulk off and baby wiped:

20181202_140150

Repeat x8:

20181202_143711

20181202_143334

Two pita things. The new box of ten trim is a slightly different white  (same supplier?) so the 420mm bit I had to add to the 2500mm length stands out a tad. I'm sure that SWMBO will notice! I butt jointed it too rather than mitreing it.

The other nuisance is the mosaics are 398mm long rather than 400 like the grey tiles. So 5mm grout lines rather than 3mm like the grey!

But it's DONE!

• Like 2

Onto the bath pocket:

A bit of trim stuck along the top edge:

20181202_161738

The view from lying underneath. Above that ply lip is where the LED strip will go pointing back to the wall at 45deg. Idea is it'll subtly "wash" the mosaics without blinding you lying in the bath.

20181202_161057

It'll be finished with another bit of trim like this,again stuck on:

20181202_161502

Then a tile strip in between the two bits of trim. Not sure on whether to do plain grey or the mosaic? Time for a mock up!

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

You're smashing it today! Go plain because having half squares of mosaics will show imperfections more and I doubt you'll get an even 2 squares in that strip. 

Tiling in a tube helps! :)

Giving me the confidence to "silicon" them to the ply bath surround as I said but still mulling which product. It is just so damn easy compared to mixing up adhesive.

I used the crystal clear Evo Stick The Dogs B*ll*cks to stick this trim up. Seems to behave like CT1 and comes off with baby wipes much the same.

20181202_161738

45 minutes ago, newhome said:

You're smashing it today! Go plain because having half squares of mosaics will show imperfections more and I doubt you'll get an even 2 squares in that strip. 

Mocked up, I quite like it tbh:

2018-12-02_05-22-37

lot less mess than mixing adhesive...  did you mean to skip the grout gap under the 1st row of tiles you stuck on?

It will look great when you grout - me and her in doors did out ensuite today. We are still speaking so it went well.