Tiling...many questions

Onoff

A shot in the dark, quite literally as the lights were off!

2018-10-05_06-02-59

Another "didn't think of that" :)

The window sill is pretty wide, the window being fitted to the outer leaf of the cavity wall. With hindsight I should have maybe moved the window inboard a tad. Tbh I'm now seriously considering doing so. Of course it'd take some work with the multi tool as I foamed all the original gaps and Sikafkex EBT'd the insulated pb all round the reveal to the upvc frame.

Not so clear from the photo is that having the grey sill tiles landscape as shown, will mean I have 3 thin rips up the back. Won't match the side reveal tiles that'll be full depth. Gut feel is it will just look wrong. One option is I lay the mosaics on the sill in portrait, that'll span the depth in one.

Thinking maybe finish the rest and get in the good books then come back to the sill section on the "It'd look so much better (if we moved the window)..." front.

If I did live with the rips on the sill at least they would tie in with the ones needed on the wall in front! :)

Edited by Onoff

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Won't match the side reveal tiles that'll be full depth. Gut feel is it will just look wrong. 

Thats because you’re doing it wrong .... you match the sides to the cill - you would put a rip everywhere. 

And if you take the window out to fix this problem then we shall have to reconsider your buildhub membership as that’s just WRONG ..!! @Nickfromwales please come and talk some sense into him ..!!

58 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Thats because you’re doing it wrong .... you match the sides to the cill - you would put a rip everywhere. 

And if you take the window out to fix this problem then we shall have to reconsider your buildhub membership as that’s just WRONG ..!! @Nickfromwales please come and talk some sense into him ..!!

I’ve tried lol. 

The rip at the back will be covered by the endless quantity of crap that you know 100% will live there. Cut the tiles, stick them on, and crack the FCUK on spongebob. ?

Xmas is fast approaching ! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, pocster said:

Can we visit this bathroom when it’s complete ?

I feel it’s become part of my life now and it’s on my bucket list .

Visitors? The very thought sets my pulse racing and panic sets in. Probably down to a combination of embarrassment and social awkwardness. :)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Visitors? The very thought sets my pulse racing and panic sets in. Probably down to a combination of embarrassment and social awkwardness. :)

I won’t defecate in it . Just look and touch the tiles . Perhaps take a selfie so I can prove to the grand children I was there .

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You mean if I popped up the hill I would be faced with this? ?

B877D93F-94E0-4617-8A04-286C57E27D64.jpeg.9c9bfa23f5e602e7f452cce8aff5a447.jpeg

TBH that was always the vision I had when I passed through there as a kid ?

You’ve frequently said that the Mrs is the queen of tat on every horizontal surface so once the new ornaments, toiletries and wind chimes are present you won’t even see the damn cill! 

1 hour ago, pocster said:

I won’t defecate in it . Just look and touch the tiles . Perhaps take a selfie so I can prove to the grand children I was there .

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

We’ll struggle to get Jedward tbh ?

PMSL, struggling to pick a winner out of those two comments! Made my evening :)

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

PMSL, struggling to pick a winner out of those two comments! Made my evening :)

Grand design on just a bathroom ; there’s a thought .

Budget 2k ; actual spend 400k

@Onoff “ we went a bit over budget but we are happy with the final result “

kevin ‘twat’ mccloud “ would you do another ? “

Everyone on ebuild “ (expletive deleted) no !!!! “

???????

Its time as you can tell

2DE97987-B933-41B6-9D72-835C240D3EA1.jpeg

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, pocster said:

Grand design on just a bathroom ; there’s a thought .

Budget 2k ; actual spend 400k

@Onoff “ we went a bit over budget but we are happy with the final result “

kevin ‘twat’ mccloud “ would you do another ? “

Everyone on ebuild “ (expletive deleted) no !!!! “

???????

Its time as you can tell

2DE97987-B933-41B6-9D72-835C240D3EA1.jpeg

Is that the posh name for amyl nitrate then? 

• Haha 1

Oh my eyes! At least I put a mask on about 3/4 of the way through. But both eyes, when I close them it's not nice.

One hacked out:

20181005_180230

The 6mm Aqua Panel I've just bought should fit in there nicely:

20181005_180342

And then the trim should fit on just right. 

20181005_180157

The little lip on the trim...does it sit over the tile thus bringing the tile trim slightly forward or on the trim so the trim and tile are flush? 

Cheers

50 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Oh my eyes! At least I put a mask on about 3/4 of the way through. But both eyes, when I close them it's not nice.

One hacked out:

The 6mm Aqua Panel I've just bought should fit in there nicely:

And then the trim should fit on just right. 

The little lip on the trim...does it sit over the tile thus bringing the tile trim slightly forward or on the trim so the trim and tile are flush? 

Cheers

Whichever you feel right with ;)  I do it so there is a slight lip because ceramic isn’t as straight as the trim is. 

@Tennentslager, looks good from where I'm sitting does yours. So much better than mine! :(

Replaced the hacked out 12.5mm Aqua Panel with 6mm. Just whacked it up with some Sticks Like Sh!t:

20181006_154332

20181006_154525

My pockets look alright from a distance. Last one came out best and that's far from perfect.

20181006_145640

20181006_145648

20181006_145706

Close up, one of the better joints:

20181006_145825

• Like 2

Seems like a lot of work for not a lot to show today! Basically just trimmed the pockets and laid 5 mosaics in the back. Cant do the top ones yet until the Sticks Like Sh!t holding the 6m Aqua Panel goes off.

20181006_190348

And now the warts:

Pocket next to the mixer valve, this tile is a bit proud. Will grout get in there?

20181006_191043

I've cut a tile to sit at the slight angle at the base of this pocket. Strip of plastic just to aid removal! The tile was nom 75mm on the left and 80mm on the right. I had to shorten it lengthwise to get it in:

20181006_191018

Should it sit slightly proud of this trim where I've hooked my nail under?

20181006_190857

So now what? How to fix it? Tile adhesive obviously but I need I believe to CT1 where the back of the tile meets the mosaics, this is a scored and diamond filed edge. Ditto the front edge - that's a factory edge.

Or do I not use tile adhesive at all, just CT1 around all 4 edges? But then the tile is short lengthwise?

@Nickfromwales...HELP! :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pocster said:

Looks good

Shower inset must be mitred yes ? ; zooming in can’t tell !

Nope square finish...my sister's no 1 bathroom, not mine. 

Mine cost under £2k and kinda basic but nice.

How much I asked Susan for all this loveliness...no answer but I suspect many £££

8 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

This off centre job would rip some folks knitting...and external corners without mitres...looks good thoughIMG_20181006_143300093.thumb.jpg.5d9888cbded3d3b04b4e73970030cdc8.jpg

So why is it off centre? Just the way it ended up or did you plan it different in your head?