Tiling...many questions

Onoff

8 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Your doing fine, remain calm. 

Grout WILL save the day ;)  I get my kegs in a twist on nearly every job before grouting it. 

The mitres will be ok after a whiff of grout. Chill winston. 

Ta. Trying to find your post where you said about using CT1 between the back of the pocket shelf and mosaics...

WHEN does the CT1 go in? If I load the pocket with adhesive and squash the bottom shelf down into it at the slight angle, it'll squidge out the ends for sure as there's big gaps. It probably won't so much out of the front as it's against the trim. But the back...where it touches the mosaic...if I've got wet adhesive in there, coming through that gap I won't be getting CT1 in there.

Or is it done afterwards?

Cheers

Edited by Onoff

1 hour ago, newhome said:

Ta. @Nickfromwales's comment from 12th Feb & @PeterW's of 13th are on the lines of what I was looking for but it's not the thread I was after. Nick made a specific comment about not having a grout joint between the shelf section and rear mosaics in the pocket. Rather you should do this in CT1. Seem to recall it was a case of having a minimal gap and baby wipe the excess off.

BIG worry now though after reading the thread you linked is I'm thinking I should have stuck the trims on with CT1 and Multisolved the excess off rather than using mitre bond like I have!

Edited by Onoff

Worrying as above over whether this trim should have CT1 behind it, I was having a flex and a fiddle.....and pulled this strip off! And there was a LOT of mitre bond on it.

20181007_142105

So much I even took some of the glaze off the tile:

20181007_142121

A new bit of trim should hide the edge...just!

But back to how to water proof this trim?

Edited by Onoff

Wondering if I could fit some form of bendy nozzle and squirt CT1 in from the rear.

2018-10-07_05-31-10

Thinking I've done these trims all wrong. I should have made them up as a 4 sided frame, mitre bonded at the joins. Then set the whole lot in CT1.

Live and learn!

Edited by Onoff

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Wondering if I could fit some form of bendy nozzle and squirt CT1 in from the rear.

2018-10-07_05-31-10

Thinking I've done these trims all wrong. I should have made them up as a 4 sided frame, mitre bonded at the joins. Then set the whole lot in CT1.

Live and learn!

I think ‘making the frame’ pre install would be a nightmare .

Cant you just smear the trim with tile adhesive ? . I’ve done this before with no issue . As it is ; I’m confused ! - what’s holding the trim ???

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Why would you do that when no one else has to? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

Why would you do that when no one else has to? 

11 minutes ago, pocster said:

I think ‘making the frame’ pre install would be a nightmare .

Cant you just smear the trim with tile adhesive ? . I’ve done this before with no issue . As it is ; I’m confused ! - what’s holding the trim ???

I ran a thick bead of mitre bond up/along the tile edge then sprayed activator on the back of the trim before pressing it on. Stuck myself to it half a dozen times!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

I ran a thick bead of mitre bond up/along the tile edge then sprayed activator on the back of the trim before pressing it on. Stuck myself to it half a dozen times!

Erm ; perhaps I’m missing something- what’s the issue ?

tbh I do my trim and tiles at the same time - so I can ‘adjust’ either one .... I.e hide (expletive deleted) ups ?

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

@Onoff has been on the beer !!!  

Onoff has just had two Neurofen and no beer.

Day consisted of: Emptied/loaded the dishwasher. Cleared some leaves. Did the n/s ball joint on the Golf / cut one piece of ply to support the tiles over the window. Wet cut one tile for the bottom rhs of the window. Broke that bit of trim off. Then respite home,  hospital, Co- op & home.

Living the dream! 

Only the thought of Jodie Whittaker shortly is keeping me going! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, pocster said:

Erm ; perhaps I’m missing something- what’s the issue ?

tbh I do my trim and tiles at the same time - so I can ‘adjust’ either one .... I.e hide (expletive deleted) ups ?

Nick said to stick trims on first with mitre bond.

Edited by Onoff

I always mire bond the trims on ( but I don’t go pulling on them afterwards! ). 

The fact you’ve CT1’d or siliconed is enough of a waterproofing measure. You won’t get these watertight like a submarine, but you may die trying by all means ;)  I just retro seal any obvious gaps with the appropriately coloured silicone, rubbing it in with my finger and wiping off the excess with baby wipes. CT1 multisolve spray finishes cleaning up and gets things immaculate, after 24 hours. 

Fwiw I’ve accidentally bumped trims off many times so they will indeed come back off. The mitre bond is just to hold it until the tile adhesive / other is applied for final fix. 

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

The fact you’ve CT1’d or siliconed is enough of a waterproofing measure. You won’t get these watertight like a submarine, but you may die trying by all means ;)  I just retro seal any obvious gaps with the appropriately coloured silicone, rubbing it in with my finger and wiping off the excess with baby wipes. CT1 multisolve spray finishes cleaning up and gets things immaculate, after 24 hours. 

Fwiw I’ve accidentally bumped trims off many times so they will indeed come back off. The mitre bond is just to hold it until the tile adhesive / other is applied for final fix. 

OK so the Welshman has appeared just ahead of Jodie. Better than Jodie Whittaker? Maybe don't answer that one ... :ph34r:

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

You no understand! :)

The trims are just mitre bonded on. No CT1 as yet. Will my idea of CT1 from the rear work?

Ta

Edited by Onoff

36 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Onoff has just had two Neurofen and no beer.

Day consisted of: Emptied/loaded the dishwasher. Cleared some leaves. Did the n/s ball joint on the Golf / cut one piece of ply to support the tiles over the window. Wet cut one tile for the bottom rhs of the window. Broke that bit of trim off. Then respite home,  hospital, Co- op & home.

Living the dream! 

Wine mate ! WINE !

What a day you’ve had ! ? 

You are living the dream ( though personally I would prefer a different dream with Nigella , Kylie and My female doctor ) - but that’s MY dream - just for me ! 

15 minutes ago, pocster said:

Wine mate ! WINE !

What a day you’ve had ! ? 

You are living the dream ( though personally I would prefer a different dream with Nigella , Kylie and My female doctor ) - but that’s MY dream - just for me ! 

Kylie? I should be so lucky! :)

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Kylie? I should be so lucky! :)

Who is going to get in your shower? You seem to switch between Jennifer, Kylie and Jodie pretty rapidly ... Or will you just be having dreams in your shower? Might be a bit wet ;)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

Who is going to get in your shower? You seem to switch between Jennifer, Kylie and Jodie pretty rapidly ... Or will you just be having dreams in your shower? Might be a bit wet ;)

Can’t be ‘wet’ ; it will all leak behind the ill fitted trims ! ?

5 minutes ago, pocster said:

Can’t be ‘wet’ ; it will all leak behind the ill fitted trims ! ?

How can you have a dry shower? ??

Anyhoo the leaking won’t be noticeable until the day it all collapses ?

• Haha 1