Tiling...many questions

Onoff

27 minutes ago, CC45 said:

will it 'crack' off using a broad blunt screw driver blade?

That's Mrs @Onoff's domain then. She can use a screwdriver for just about everything round the house allegedly ;). Personally I would get a chisel, whack it with a hammer and hope that the bits fall off :D 

Every night's a school night! Well it is for me, learning as I tile. 

20181001_190059

I think @Nickfromwales referred to the importance of avoiding "rips" I think he called them, thin strips of tiles that look awkward and unplanned. Well I managed it! :)

I've ended up with a nom 40mm strip up by the ceiling. I was going to cut the mosaics down in strips to say the 30mm width of the squares? It'd mean a 5mm grout line either side. Or cut it down to 35mm keeping the pseudo grout line. Then put that against the ceiling and grout as normal between the main tiles and mosaics. Thoughts? Cheers.

20181001_190226

• Like 2

Smaller mix, smaller bucket! (Taylor, Gilbreth?)

20181001_200418

Don't look too close:

20181001_214355

Like I said, don't look too close. Had to put a couple of pb screws in just to hold a tile in position:

20181001_214407

Above the window coming down from the ceiling it'll go slip, full tile, slip. SWMBO wants a blind there so that'll take the eye off the lower slip.

2018-10-01_10-03-35

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

I think mosaic tiles across there would make the room look low. Could you grout or otherwise fill the whole gap? I expect it'd just visually join on to the ceiling that way.

1 hour ago, newhome said:

Lower the ceiling? :ph34r:

Small coving?

A bit late to the party i'm afraid. Looking damn fine there me old china mug :) 

@Onoff I'd 100% put a cornice not a standard cove in there. See Gyprocs 135mm S profile for eg. You could go for a smaller one, but that S profile looks the dogs bollocks when up. Its a bastard to cut and mitre, as its IIRC 92mm out and 88mm up so doesn't sit in a generic mitre box, but the results are great. 

Another option is a 60mm Upvc D-section. 

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

A bit late to the party i'm afraid. Looking damn fine there me old china mug :) 

@Onoff I'd 100% put a cornice not a standard cove in there. See Gyprocs 135mm S profile for eg. You could go for a smaller one, but that S profile looks the dogs bollocks when up. Its a bastard to cut and mitre, as its IIRC 92mm out and 88mm up so doesn't sit in a generic mitre box, but the results are great. 

Another option is a 60mm Upvc D-section. 

Ta. Tbh I should have waited until you were back from the Maldives  before I started tiling! :)

Was wondering about white, 40mm D line.....should fit straight in the gap:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DL2D4020

Edited by Onoff

SWMBO is undecided as to whether the returns in the pockets are going to be done in the mosaics or the plain tiles.

20181002_173900

The pockets are different depths, 95mm on the right:

20181002_174744

& 130mm deep on the left

20181002_174820

Personally I favour having just the back in the mosaic and the top, bottom & sides in the plain?

Anyone care to weigh in as to why my idea is best other than it'll be an odd number of squares?

Cheers

Edited by Onoff

14 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Personally I favour having just the back in the mosaic and the top, bottom & sides in the mosaics?

Anyone care to weigh in as to why my idea is best other than it'll be an odd number of squares?

Ugh? Don't you mean top, bottom and sides in plain? 

Anyway I googled tile pockets and every image I saw that had mosaics only had them in the back panel. I imagine any slight variations in depth or any slight angles may be more noticeable if you are looking at tiny squares? Other than that I reckon it's personal preference. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, newhome said:

Ugh? Don't you mean top, bottom and sides in plain? 

Anyway I googled tile pockets and every image I saw that had mosaics only had them in the back panel. I imagine any slight variations in depth or any slight angles may be more noticeable if you are looking at tiny squares? Other than that I reckon it's personal preference. 

My bad! Yes, top, bottom and sides in plain. I'll go and edit that!

To tile the strip of green pb, far right, up alongside the window:

20181002_215816

Would a near full tile from window to corner as in "B" be acceptable or does this need to be done in two with the join where the verical laser is?

20181002_215943

Cheers

Whilst we're on the subject....plain all round in the window reveal?

20181002_173922

F***! With hindsight the dwarf wall alongside the bath should have been made the same height as the window sill! Only just seeing now this would have looked better.

Edited by Onoff

Thanks all. SWMBO is insisting on printing out the mosaics on paper (scan a tile?) and "papering" the reveals to see what it looks like! 

Overpowering and awkward I think! 

I think the fact that we'll end up seeing 1/2 squares, will mean the plain gets the vote.