Tiling...many questions

Onoff

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

SWMBO is insisting on printing out the mosaics on paper (scan a tile?) and "papering" the reveals to see what it looks like! 

My God! Are you 2 related (ain’t that the norm up the valley anyway ?). 

• Haha 1

I think plan B wouldn't be too terrible if you were just tiling up the side of the window but if you do that what happens across the top? You'll have to have a small tile, the width of the dwarf wall, in the top right corner. You can't have the join on the left of that not lining up with a join below. So, plan A gets my vote, I'm afraid.

7 hours ago, Onoff said:

With hindsight the dwarf wall alongside the bath should have been made the same height as the window sill! Only just seeing now this would have looked better.

If only you had taken your time with this project instead of rushing you might have spotted this

• Haha 4

Tell the Mrs to ditch the idea of mosaics on the window reveals. It would look Barry White.

You need to go with plan A of the tiling, unless you run a vertical band or mosaics to balance the one to the left of the window, but that would be even more work

Sticking ceramic tiles to plain, untreated marine ply...

Do I prime the plywood then stick them with tile adhesive?

or 

Do I use the cheapest of cheap silicon to stick the tiles to the unprimed ply. Pretty sure @Nickfromwales advocated this method?

Thinking this:

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p48821

or

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p57967

Way cheaper seemingly than SF!

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Where is this in Chez Onoff Boudoir..? I thought you had tanked everything to within an inch of its life ..??

Not tanked the ply "deck" the bath sits on or the angled sides (so you can stand closer), as figured it's marine ply! Can do though I guess...does that mean I can use tile adhesive rather than silicon...if it's tanked?

IMG_20180827_164614141

Personal preference would be to tank the deck as the tiles will be on a solid bed then and not on smear of silicone so when you kneel on the side of the bath or something daft you don’t crack a tile. 

@Nickfromwales when you’ve finished your kebab... what say you..?? 

Use the cheapest non silicone sticks like shit / sikaflex / CT1 rip-off etc as it’s a ‘moving’ structure. 

Yes, I said loads of cheapo silicone back in the day but now looking at it I’m pulling a 180. I have happily and successfully used cheapo silicone in the past, but only on fixed baths with tiled panels. 

Best not to risk it here, especially as you’ll be grouting a lot of detail there. 

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

Personal preference would be to tank the deck as the tiles will be on a solid bed then and not on smear of silicone so when you kneel on the side of the bath or something daft you don’t crack a tile. 

@Nickfromwales when you’ve finished your kebab... what say you..?? 

image.thumb.jpg.33017525a51d798003d5a451471d87ca.jpg

See your kebab, and raise you a king prawn tandoori masala ✌️

On 02/10/2018 at 09:55, Nickfromwales said:

Looking damn fine there me old china mug :) 

You wouldn't say that if you ran your hand over the joints! :( Lucky I won't be cleaning it! Would have been great to have just run a squeegee over it without catching...

Fingers crossed grout will help! 

Used x4 20kg bags so far. Reckon same again to complete!

10 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Use the cheapest non silicone sticks like shit / sikaflex / CT1 rip-off etc as it’s a ‘moving’ structure. 

Yes, I said loads of cheapo silicone back in the day but now looking at it I’m pulling a 180. I have happily and successfully used cheapo silicone in the past, but only on fixed baths with tiled panels. 

Best not to risk it here, especially as you’ll be grouting a lot of detail there. 

Solvent or solvent free?

You don't get much time to play with that stuff do you? Can't see it working for me tbh! I'd want to be doing a line of tiles along the bath edge then tamping down flush with a long level. The first will be skinning up and going off by the time I get to the last!

This?

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p36863?r=googleshopping&rr=marin&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0dHdBRDEARIsAHjZYYATyrYhQYG9XJX5HrlomXB3tJuZqK0XZyciqseDyFz0BwIYvtIAkfMaAiIbEALw_wcB

Edited by Onoff

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

20p sizes blobs of Sikaflex at 3” centres would be ?

Prime the ply with the flexible tile primer. 50/50 and soak it. 

Christ, that sets REALLY quick! 

@Nickfromwales, Evening. To trim the pockets do I first make a frame up o/of 4 pieces mitre bonded where the 45corners meet? I assume you mean that first THEN mitre bond the frame to the pocket?

Running a miniature Stanley knife across my knuckle just now (after a 660ml bottle of Tyskie) put me off doing much tonight! :)

14 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I cut the bottom piece and bond it to the top of the tile. Then the left, then right. Top last. Watch they're not leaning forward or back otherwise the mitres won't be parallel. 

Ta. Problem is that some of the corners are maybe slightly over or under 90deg. Doesn't help that the face of the tiles isn't always level!

Steep learning curve this.