Tiling...many questions

Onoff

Due to life and work commitments I don’t get so much time to read the forum at the moment but it’s always a refreshing dose of “WTF” to dive into this thread. :D 

Typing this from a central London ASK restaurant having a “meal for one”. So many window lickers in the big smoke ;) 

1 hour ago, Barney12 said:

Due to life and work commitments I don’t get so much time to read the forum at the moment but it’s always a refreshing dose of “WTF” to dive into this thread. :D 

Typing this from a central London ASK restaurant having a “meal for one”. So many window lickers in the big smoke ;) 

Was that you over the back?

2018-02-10.jpg.8d8f55ef82b4e4d685b3741188b83cc0.jpg

;)

13 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

The WC pan will be fine, but it will need a fresh approach. CT1 will be your friend. You can tile perfectly but the tiles are never that perfect tbh. 

I'm guessing load the "gap" with CT1, nut it up, baby wipe and let set. Really load it, as in cover the area of porcelain at the back of the pan rather than just a thick bead around the edge?

Then finish off with a replaceable as and when, quality white silicon?

Cheers

10 minutes ago, newhome said:

Christ on a bike that’s not until Christmas! ?

Yep I know. Probably be done well before but might hold off using until he's back.

Once the bathrooms done then I need to think about clearing & breaking the concrete floor up in the adjacent room where the stairs are. Then digging down a foot or so like I did the bathroom (that was actually deeper) fitting a manifold under the stairs and ducts for UFH in the floor for when I do all the adjacent rooms.

At the mo there's no UFH in the bathroom, the towel rad also will be on the wall but not connected as that'll come off the eventual manifold too. 

What's the method then to finish off around the Geberit flush plate box?

20180928_171825

Possibly should have grouted first before I snapped the projecting plastic wings? Could have left the bottom bit a bit longer possibly...

Do I just grout around the edges of the box when I do the rest of the grouting?

20180928_171836

Finding I don't hate tiling now. It's all sort of coming together now. I'm not panicking for a start! Got half a system of cut a load first. Very little waste so far.

Found out the hard way not to use bucket water from a previous mix to knock up fresh adhesive! :( Got away with it but a bit harder to work with.

2018-09-29_04-35-30

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 3

Tonight's faux pas!

I'm about 6mm out on the pocket height. Not yet sure how that happened until I look at the CAD and do a post mortem. Best I can do I'm thinking is hack out the 12.5mm thick Aqua Panel and replace with some 6mm thick of the same then re tank. 

20180929_182321

20180929_182331

20180929_182341

39 minutes ago, newhome said:

Why can't you just cut the tiles down a tad? 

The line follows around the whole room so it'd mean cutting loads :(

I can't recall tbh whether I stuck all the "tops" in with Sikaflex EBT or not. Hopefully just the leading edge. If so they should multi tool out fairly easily.

Edited by Onoff

Interesting how when tiling what you do on one wall can impact another so much!

My "focus" was on the bath being the focal point so I have a tile horizontal about the centre line of the pocket:

20180930_165825

I knew I'd end up with a sliver under the window but figured the towel rad will take the eye off of this:

20180930_165910

However.....with hindsight.....

I'm sure I'd meant to have the flush plate dead centre of 4 tiles! :) But then that doesn't work with the tile being centre to the bath. Tricky this!

The only issue now is its a full tile to the ceiling then a sliver about 11/2". Debating whether to mask this with a mosaic line all the way around?

2018-09-30_04-52-09