Praise for a good product

Gone West

I've started hanging the doors upstairs which are oak Mexicano design. I have been using Osmo Polyx Clear Satin and the finish is excellent. I have never used it before but it was really easy to paint on  even in the grooves down the door. I would certainly recommend it.

P1010002.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@PeterStarck

Like you we used Osmo products on our oak doors and also on the solid oak kitchen worktops and an oak table. It’s been in use now for about a year and it’s been really excellent with no problems at all. Any spills on the worktops or table just wipe away easily with no staining.

I used exactly the same stuff  on very similar doors. Excellent and goes a long way.

But it is very odoriferous - my handyman who painted the doors had a huge migraine despite having windows open, and had to have a day off.

Very much stuff to use with a good mask.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

I've started hanging the doors upstairs which are oak Mexicano design. I have been using Osmo Polyx Clear Satin and the finish is excellent. I have never used it before but it was really easy to paint on  even in the grooves down the door. I would certainly recommend it.

P1010002.JPG

Exact same doors that we will use

Bit of a dilemma as to which to go for

finished or unfinished Big saving on unfished 

They look really good

@nod

We have talked about price before, but if you have all the Wickes discounts you can get their Geneva doors in this style for £61 each delivered if you have about 5 or more at present untreated.

I found that a 2.5l £75 can of Polyx Oil did about 7 doors 2 coats both sides and some other shelves etc..

Another 5% may be possible if you catch a holiday or Monday offer.

I paid a bit more elsewhere as I needed a 55mm trimming margin.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

13 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

We have talked about price before, but if you have all the Wickes discounts you can get their Geneva doors in this style for £61 each delivered if you have about 5 or more at present untreated.

I have found it difficult comparing this style of door from different suppliers. For the same size and thickness there appears to be quite a range in the weight of the doors from the various suppliers. I assumed, possibly incorrectly, that a heavier door would have more oak in it and therefore may be better constructed. There are also differences in how much can be trimmed from the sides.

16 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I have found it difficult comparing this style of door from different suppliers. For the same size and thickness there appears to be quite a range in the weight of the doors from the various suppliers. I assumed, possibly incorrectly, that a heavier door would have more oak in it and therefore may be better constructed. There are also differences in how much can be trimmed from the sides.

ABsolutely.

I bought a 32kg version partly for the weight, while the Wickes ones are I think 27kg. I also wanted it to feel heavy when opened.

As far as I could tell the weight difference was in the fibreboard core but I am no expert.

My joiner was impressed with the doors I gave him to work on, and apparently creating the holes for the latches etc was a bit of a sod B|..

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

One of ours (the extra I bought when I decided to add the walk-in wardrobe) is a Geneva from Wickes.  It's almost indistinguishable from the Mexicano doors we bought for the rest of the house, but is nowhere near the quality.  Luckily I didn't need to trim it, as I built the frame and lining to fit it, but I would have had problems if I had, especially at the top and bottom where the trimming allowance was pretty modest.  It also had a much softer chipboard core, and it was easy to over-tighten the handle screws.  I ended up using a syringe to inject glue into several of the handle screw holes.

The Mexicano doors had what seemed to be a laminated oak strip core around the edges where the handles and hinges fit, so were a lot more robust.  I'm not convinced you can tell by just the weight, as the soft chipboard cored door from Wickes seemed as heavy as the others, although it's had to be sure as it's a bit smaller.

• Like 1

+1 on the Osmo.  Great product and so much easier to use compared to varnish.  I finished our doors, facings and stairs with it.  Very hard wearing on the stairs. 

I went with unfinished doors rather than prefinished to ensure I had a matched OSMO finish throughout the house.

21 hours ago, JSHarris said:

We have the same doors coated with the same product!  Excellent, in my view, it's easy to use and gives a nice finish,  We also used it on the oak staircase, and it stands up well in terms of wear and tear.

Staircase.thumb.JPG.04c9321441985bbd6aa20c99e442c750.JPG

Love your doors and oak staircase. Where did you get them from? 

• Like 1

The doors and liners came from an online place, something like "door deals direct"?  I can check later.  The staircase was made by Pear Stairs: https://www.pearstairs.co.uk/ who I can highly recommend.  Everything was a perfect fit, and the whole staircase, including the landing balustrade and 10mm glass, came to just over £2k, IIRC.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

The doors and liners came from an online place, something like "door deals direct"?  I can check later.  The staircase was made by Pear Stairs: https://www.pearstairs.co.uk/ who I can highly recommend.  Everything was a perfect fit, and the whole staircase, including the landing balustrade and 10mm glass, came to just over £2k, IIRC.

Wow that is cheap for an oak staircase. We had budgeted about  £1500 for just the balustrade. Will definitely take a look 

I second StairBox, ours was delivered in 5 days after accepting the design/quote and it fitted together very well, we have a problem with the handrail but their tech support is very helpful. Also very reasonable.

• Thanks 1

Our stairs also came from Stairbox.  They did get 2 of the newel posts wrong so they re made them. Of the replacements only one was correct, so they re made one of them a second time before it was finally all correct. But they never quibbled and sent the replacements promptly.

stairs_2.thumb.jpg.be7eaef775b1f681a1927833d5b80e66.jpg

• Thanks 1

With a few coats of Osmo satin finish ours aren't at all slippery, but there is a bit of noise when you walk up or down them wearing hard soled shoes.  We're adopting a "shoes off in the house" policy anyway, not because of the stairs, but really just to try and keep muck out of the house.  We're finding that there's not much dust in a house with MVHR, and that highlights the fact that most of the muck seems to come in on our feet!

55 minutes ago, Jude1234 said:

Apoogies I seem to have high jacked this thread with staircase info. Really like the idea of oak stars as well as balustrade.  But are they noisy and or slippy. We have 2 teenage boys.

29 minutes ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

You could start a new one were folks could share their pictures, company used etc.......just a thought

If you do want start a new thread on stairs it's easy enough to get the posts from here moved to it, if you wish.