Oh no - another excited newbee.

epsilonGreedy

I have not been so excited since I opened my Scalextric on Christmas morning in 1972, there are many questions buzzing in my brain but I will try to ration myself to posting two questions a day.

Serious Stuff.

• I have found the plot with planning permission in the centre of a postcard perfect English village.
  • 1,500 sq ft two story, L-shaped.
  • A ton of conservation criteria to be met.
  • Externally build will be in an architectural straight jacket which is probably good for making progress.
  • Limited funds so I will have to forgo all the fun self-build extras like media networks and a fancy kitchen.
Edited by epsilonGreedy
  • Like 2

Welcome and best of luck. With limited funds my approach would be to spend the money on the stuff that is harder to change later (e.g. insulation, air-tightness, windows) and cut the corners on stuff you can easily install or replace as the funds come in. Don't forget the VAT benefits of a new build - means e.g. that a kitchen is cheaper at first install than a few years later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

• I have found the plot with planning permission in the centre of a postcard perfect English village.
  • 1,500 sq ft two story, l-shaped.
  • A ton of conservation criteria to be met.
  • Externally build will be in an architectural straight jacket which is probably good for making progress.
  • Limited funds so I will have to forgo all the fun self-build extras like media networks and a fancy kitchen.

First of all, welcome.

In relation to every single one of your points, you'll have many happy fire-side hours reading the relevant stuff on this site.

It's yet another job in addition to the ones you already have.

We'll try and make it easier for you: it's often a good idea to tell us about the work you have done towards answering the questions you pose - it helps us give more focused responses.

BTW, what's epsilon got to do with greed?

Ian

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

BTW, what's epsilon got to do with greed?

A good question... epsilon greedy is a term used to describe an algorithm in a type of artificial intelligence called reinforcement learning.

https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/248131/epsilon-greedy-policy-improvement

Reinforcement learning is how human toddlers discover the world i.e. run too fast, fall over = ouch. Must try better.

I hope to avoid reinforcement learning during my self build.

4 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Both will repay an evening with a pint and an end-to-end perusal.

Thank you, at the moment I am indexing web pages faster than I can peruse them!

The past 24 hours have been like watching a single episode of East Enders in the year and then trying to fill in the last skipped 364 days of plot development.

Dramatic cliffhangers such as "Code for Sustainable Homes" and "Community Infrastructure Levy" have been and gone it seems.

[Edit: Correction, CIL can be avoided with a diligent paper trail.] 

Edited by epsilonGreedy

55 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Thank you, at the moment I am indexing web pages faster than I can peruse them!

The past 24 hours have been like watching a single episode of East Enders in the year and then trying to fill in the last skipped 364 days of plot development.

Dramatic cliffhangers such as "Code for Sustainable Homes" and "Community Infrastructure Levy" have been and gone it seems.

CSH has gone - except that it lurks like a tar-pit captured brontosaurus in the manuals and policy docs around Energy Performance.

CIL is alive and implemented and waiting to bite you in the backside if it is in place in your area and you miss a trick.

The blogs here are light relief :D

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Think again :D

We'll all be learning until there's nothing left to learn.........and then the bastards will change the rules and off we will go again. 

Good news though, you've chosen the right fairground in which to enjoy the rides, aka BuildHub. ;)  

Welcome aboard. ?

51 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

CIL is alive and implemented and waiting to bite you in the backside if it is in place in your area and you miss a trick.

Hmm I see what you mean, having fully read the link below. CIL exemption claim dates will be another another item for my self build diary. 

https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/community-infrastructure-levy-cil/

Welcome!

2 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I hope you do too, although I think the general feeling is that self-build is more or less a series of reinforcement learning episodes punctuated by brief periods where things appear (deceptively) to be going right.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jack said:

Building a house is easy. It's like riding a bike. Except the bike is on fire and you're on fire and everything is on fire and you're in hell.

And everyone else is jealous of you being on fire, and watch your every move for signs of your bum being on fire too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jack said:

Building a house is easy. It's like riding a bike. Except the bike is on fire and you're on fire and everything is on fire and you're in hell.

I like to think of it as the end of the Crystal Maze when you're in the big perspex box frantically trying to catch money spinning around you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

And everyone else is jealous of you being on fire, and watch your every move for signs of your bum being on fire too.

And the builder and architect and other nasty trades are all throwing petrol at you .... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

I like to think of it as the end of the Crystal Maze when you're in the big perspex box frantically trying to catch money spinning around you. 

... and it's your money.

On 1/30/2018 at 08:46, jack said:

Ha ha!!! I love that!