Demolition

Can anybody tell me how I am supposed to know about regulations regarding demolition of a timber cabin, I’m going to try and sell it but I think with the work involved in moving it this could be unsuccessful, so if I take it to bits how am I supposed to know the correct procedures. 

Can I just act dumb if the council suddenly turn up. 

I intend getting in a big skip for the insulation and roof felt. 

If i do get the correct paperwork do I have to have an asbestos survey, I’m just trying to do this as cheaply as possible and really don’t want to go having to pay another bod to turn up and tell me there’s nothing present when I already know that. 

Cheers dodgy russ. 

073A07F5-F4FD-44B3-9F94-6D227400E8FF.jpeg

Take care and not just the health and safety! You need a demolition order from the council and unless you are careful this will trigger the start of your build so you need to tell them it is just prep work and not the actual start unless you want it to be. If you do start and you then want to use an independant BC company the council may insist you use them as the work has started.

You probably do need an aspestos survey for piece of mind as you cannot knock down a building containing it and it is an offence to dump the stuff and there is one blend of the stuff that even the removal company won't  touch without breathing apperatus and  walk through shower units. Our survey was £560 showed up loads of the stuff and removal cost a £5kand that was without the really serious stuff! 

Is the cabin a registered dwelling or simply a temporary/garden structure?

I don't know enough about the regs but it would look like a candidate for "DIY" dismantling to me and nothing to do with your build.

One thing is for sure; ask the question the wrong way and the answer will always involve a "yes" and a "fee". :/

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Just had some thoughts regarding asbestos. 

If the cabin was constructed in about 1990 then surely there would be no asbestos present as it had been outlawed by then. 

2000 is the year to use.

Asbestos was finally banned in the UK in 1999 but some may have been left in stockists so it’s safer to use the year 2000 as the safe date for new building construction.

15 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Big bonfire maybe.......accidentally of course

Except of course that Asbestos won’t burn no matter how hard you try. It’s one of the many reasons it was so popular and used in such vast quantities in buildings. There are plenty of countries that are still using it in fact.

Edited by Ian

Does it HAVE to go?

It looks too good. I would be trying to retain that and build on a different part. It would make a smashing workshop / shed / man cave, plus temporary accommodation while you build.

I had the offer of something similar, but I had nowhere to put it and the condition for having it free was I would have had to remove it.

How was it built? is there a chance it was a sectional prefab? in which case it might be possible to remove in sections with a crane and low loader.

18 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Does it HAVE to go?

It looks too good. I would be trying to retain that and build on a different part. It would make a smashing workshop / shed / man cave, plus temporary accommodation while you build.

I had the offer of something similar, but I had nowhere to put it and the condition for having it free was I would have had to remove it.

How was it built? is there a chance it was a sectional prefab? in which case it might be possible to remove in sections with a crane and low loader.

That would fit around the side of my house just BEAUTIFULLY........??????????????

Please put that and me out of our misery asap. 

It comes in two pieces, join down the middle, was delivered on two artics, will need a crane and two artics to take it away. 

My planning consent  is for the spot the cabin sits on, I can only move it to a different spot if I take it completely apart as the track around the lake is not wide enough, I’ve got enough to do building a new house, I really don’t need another project, I thought about stripping off all the ship lap but would end up storing it for a couple of years while I build the house. 

Is it really worth it. 

Get it gone so I can crack on. Will be going on e bay for 99p

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Except of course that Asbestos won’t burn no matter how hard you try. It’s one of the many reasons it was so popular and used in such vast quantities in buildings.

It doesnt burn but it can explode shattering dust all over the place and any loose dust is transported in the smoke.

Essentially if you own a building with aspestos or the suspicion of it you are under the control of Aspestos regulations 2012 and it is am offence not to take the correct steps

Edited by MikeSharp01
Addition of URL

14 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

It comes in two pieces, join down the middle, was delivered on two artics, will need a crane and two artics to take it away.

As I suspected, it was built to the portable building / caravan spec so would have been exempt from building regs.

In that case it should be possible to separate the 2 halves and move it again. You might even be able to sell it, so I am sure you could give it away.

Take lots of photo's and put it here in the market place and on somewhere like Gumtree

It is in effect a "twin unit" mobile home, but quite possibly built better than most static caravans. It would make someone a good temporary home while building if nothing else.

How far are you from @Nickfromwales ?  Crane hire and 2 low loaders. Worth getting a quote?  Would a large hiab lift each half? have you looked underneath? are you sure it's not on 2 mobile home chassis with wheels?

No wheels it has a couple of4x12 timbers that run the full length these sit on pad stones of concrete blocks so it is off the floor by 450mm. 

All this talk about asbestos has got a bit carried away, I’m 99% certain there would not be any, I wanted to find out how I could demolish it without having to have an asbestos survey as I don’t want the expense, I think I answered my own question after remembering it was built in 1990, so going to do some research on the manufacturer. 

It would make somebody a perfect home while they build, it has a small kitchen, bathroom, 3 beds and full central heating. 

I am just looking at the most pain free way to get it gone that costs me the least amount of dosh. 

Up until a year ago it was occupied and has been for the last 20years. 

Im assuming the internal work was done after it was bolted together, so probably a fair bit of destruction ( plumbing / electrics / finishes etc ) before it could be separated?

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Come and get it @Nickfromwales

Id be there tomorrow morning if the budget and my arm allowed. Marketplace here has to be worth a shot? Give it a good bit of coverage, be our guest !!