Scale models

Russell griffiths

Cracking job, Russell, and I think it does make the point that the proposed new development looks much neater and in keeping with the setting.  I'd be surprised if these models don't have a positive impact at the planning meeting.  Blame me of they don't..............

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Does it give the impression of a green roof. 

As there actually raised seam metal. In grey. 

No, I meant would a green roof help lessen the visual impact and maybe help swing things.

Also, for the purpose of the model would painting the roof a darker grey, to blend with the "lake" colour be better?

TBH I agree with you. In that model the new one looks very dominant. It would be a surprise to me if It helps in that form. However your Planning Consultant is the local expert and their opinion is far more weighty than mine.

I think if presented with that as a Councillor on Planning Committee or as a potential local objector, I would be concerned enough to ask some awkward questions.

I think you need to communicate that the house is in a far larger context than that shown on this model, so the extra space is really a very very minor overall change. One way to do that might be to have a small scale model of the landscape showing how small it is in the context of your 19 acres and umpteen lakes, then a model showing the detailed house and no landscape, demonstrating the high quality of the design - so the change is de-emphasised and the old size vs new size is not discussed in the same breath.

I might be tempted to get the latter one 3D printed and dismantleable by layer.

If you have to have one of house plus some landscape, then I would suggest putting enough landscape in to place it properly in context, and I would turn eg all that brown into green. If the lake moves then I would perhaps model it with the water lower eg in high summer. Never show the two side by side in the form imo.

If you make sure to call it an "'illustrative" model In the definitive places even if you call it just a "model" elsewhere, then you cannot be formally bound by it.

I would use it as a prop to your presentations rather than something you let people take away.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Maybe add some rusty farm machinery, some deep furrows, a couple of brightly coloured skips and a smattering of abandoned vehicles to the existing model. A tumbledown greenhouse, caravan(s) and maybe a broken swing for good measure. All just for eyesore value.  It'll make the new one look positively uncluttered.

:)

What are the laws about recovering ground?

Can you build a mini-polder into the lake if it is your lake? Even 5m on all round would be a huge difference.

Flood protection, innit.

Serious question.

Edited by Ferdinand

Or wasn't there a successful Grand Designs when a Scottish supplier of potatoes to chip-shops built his house *over* a private lake?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-1218678/Were-cashing-chips-selling-Grand-Design.html

GD Episode:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/grand-designs/on-demand/38275-008

Could you shunt it forward or to the right and cantilever or balcony over the lake? Would that be a different response to the site restrictions?

chip-shop-grand-design-lake.jpg.62f23917585f375d6190517e7eeb2048.jpg

Lesson to the wise. Build cost was about a million in 2005.

That Mail article has it priced at £1.9m in 2009.

Around 2012 Rghtmove had it under offer at £1.25m.

(To be fair they haven't lost money and the adventure sounds well worth it).

grand-designs-lake-house-for-sale.jpg.423891e6ba2e00c482c0309988ccf397.jpg

Depending on the specifics, perhaps a classic approach for a constrained plot - build nearly to the edge of the plot and use the most attractive area as something you *look* at. Wonder what @caliwag thinks?

house-by-lake-resite-2.thumb.jpg.c7f83fa606acf2eca307c76312bfcbbe.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand

4 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

• STILLWATER KILLEARN FISHERY KILLEARN G63 9QW 
  • Sold  2013-05-30  
    Price  £1100000  
    Sale type & deed codes DW  11

Thanks.

If I had the money to build that, I would not have regretted a loss vs inflation for that experience.

Interesting...I'm a bit confused by the thread. I have to say that the Killearn one looks as though it could be anywhere, and does rather lack character! Sorry. Is the model the same as the low pitched roof one, as I cannot see the water. If different it does appear to turn its back to the landscape. I agree a larger area of map/landscape would highlight the relative scale. Is the low pitch roof to allow for a planted roof or just to present a lower profile. The non-vernacular form might irk the planners.

Did they ask to bring a model to the meeting? I’m not sure I’d bring any and definitely wouldn’t give them any model to keep. I’d only really present models to the client and try not to present them to planners. Remember nobody except the local flying club will ever view the house from the angle you’ve shown above but it’s the view everyone will have at a meeting. 

You’d be better off taking a photo from some view and then if you could do a Sketchup model (or a more advanced 3D rendering program if available) and insert that into the image with Photoshop you’d have before and after photos. This is the way we present to planners always as you get to decide the view and pick an angle which would be favorable to the design and scale. Print these up large enough, eg A3 or bigger, and mount them on stiff card so they look professional and are easy to handle. You also get to flick through them like flip cards and control the presentation explaining the concept and challenges rather than them jumping ahead. They can see how it will look in the landscape from eye level where it will be seen when finished. You can find people online who can create these photomontages for you cheaply and quickly if you want or if you’re architect is to costly.