Habito, Fermacell, OSB & Plasterboard, Ply & Plasterboard, or…..

Earlier this week I visited Nick Laslett’s build and he was very generous with his time and patient with my myriad questions.  And as a bonus I now feel I’m not the only Makita obsessed diy-er.  

I also realised it has never occurred to me that there may be alternatives to plasterboard other than plaster on blockwork.  How dumb do I get? (No replies on that subject needed, thank you!)

Because I’m mildly neurotic, occasionally obsessive and always annoying, and because we have a narrow plot that we want to make the most of we are trying to build with relatively thin walls.  I also like the idea that we could hang pictures and mirrors and stuff anywhere, so I’d focussed on an internal skin of OSB or ply inside my plasterboard.  We have a possibly irrational preference for skimmed walls as well.

The benefits of the wood layer beneath the plasterboard are feeling of solidity, maybe a bit better sound attenuation (from outside, internal sound transmission is less of a concern),  and of course the ability to hang stuff on the walls.

Nick is using fermacell and he mentioned that habito might also be worth a look.  So after visiting Nick I read all I could find on here about each of those.  

Are there other types of board I should consider?

It looks to me like the materials cost is not all that different, and if so, the driver will be optimising the ‘feel’ of our little house.

What do you think folks?

11mm OSB then 12.5mm plasterboard and skim gets my vote. 

You could increase spacing of your studs to 600 cc then. 

If you were to move the airtightness layer to the outer sheathing as per my previous post then you could install all wiring in the main stud bays, fit the OSB with whatever depth back boxes suited your electrician, drill a 70mm hole for the cellulose blower in the top of each bay, blow full of insulation and plasterboard over the top. 

Then just use slightly longer screws to fit the socket face plates as needed to account for the depth of the OSB and plasterboard. 

Hello Geoff, I enjoyed your visit. 

Here are some good threads from when I was looking at this topic. 

Another product that might be of interest is OSB3 SmartPly from Medite, this has an airtight membrane already attached. 

https://mdfosb.com/en/products/smartply-airtight

Forum top tip, you can tag someone to a post by using the @ symbol and their user name, e.g. @G and J, @Nick Laslett, this will then send them a notification. Not something to abuse, but when you are trying to get a specific subject matter expert it can be useful. 

4 hours ago, Iceverge said:

11mm OSB then 12.5mm plasterboard and skim gets my vote. 

Noted.  Would love to understand the reasoning.

You could increase spacing of your studs to 600 cc then.

Presumably you mean my service void studs rather than the main frame studs.  Mind you, I’d love to do the frame on 1200mm centres, it does wonders for the u value.

Then just use slightly longer screws to fit the socket face plates as needed to account for the depth of the OSB and plasterboard. 

One thing I’ve never liked about backboxes for plasterboard is that they become loose when the face plate is unscrewed. Even if fitted before skimming this can happen and it makes a mess.  It did occur to me that the OSB layer may enable me to fix metal backboxes by screwing through side walls into the OSB to avoid that issue. 

OSB can be airtight enough for standard building regs testing. The concern, I think is the sheets can be a bit variable during production. When the walls are pumped with blown cellulose much of the airtightness comes from that. However OSB  is vapour permeable so some people use a different board on the inside and OSB on the outside. There’s a very good thread on here on this very subject. I’ll try and find it. 

Edited by Kelvin

5 hours ago, Nick Laslett said:

Medite

I only have experience if their water/moisture proof MDF.

It is an excellent product.

(People may remember I weighted a lump of it, put it in a tub of water for 13 months, left it outside, removed it, wiped the slime off, weighed it again and it had the same mass)

On 28/06/2024 at 13:16, G and J said:

Are there other types of board I should consider?

I'm using Gypsotech GopsoLignum, often in 2 layers. It's somewhere above Habito in properties, on the way towards Fermacell. They do have a UK office, but not sure how easy it is to find (I'm using it in France)

On 28/06/2024 at 19:06, G and J said:

I presume from the existence of airtight OSB that standard OSB isn’t airtight then?

It depends on the brand. Some are, others are not.