I've had enough of ....

People thinking that it's OK to borrow stuff from our site and then return it -

• caked in concrete (shovels, trowels, mixer)
  • smashed, but returned in such a way that you don't notice that its (in this case) wheels are missing
  • with the hoover unemptied and the filter jam-packed with soot
  • moaning when I refuse to lend something
  • driving over hose pipes with a digger and then telling me I need to get the hose mended
  • telling me "I wouldn't do it like that , I'd....... [...] ..... much better"
  • smashing through foul drainage pipes when it  is clearly marked with a series of brightly coloured 2 by 2 stakes 
  • push-rods still smelling and smeared with the contents from their own foul drain - I should feel grateful they were returned at all I suppose

Yes, I know I have the privilege of doing nothing but build our house but   Das sind alles faule, beschissene Arschloecher

What gets you about some folk who visit your site ?

Edited by ToughButterCup

I have got pissed off with some of the trades who forget this is our home not a building site. One guy swept the back of his van onto the parking area then buggered off. I swept it all up and dumped it back in his van on the last day he was here. He tried to deny it was his until I pulled out a business card with his name on it. Another guy threw is empty lunch stuff on the floor despite me having bin bags nailed to the walls. I dumped that in his brand new van. He wasn’t at all pleased about that and couldn’t get his thick head around why it was equally not ok to dump stuff on the floor of our home. They’ve not all been bad. Some of the trades are scrupulously clean and tidy. 

I don’t get any of that from friends I loan stuff to. If I did I’d either tell them how I expect it returned or tell them to take it away and clean it or if it bothered me as much as it bothers you I wouldn’t lend stuff. 

• Like 1

I have always took my sandwiches to work in a sandwich box. Any wrappers or waste goes back in the box and goes home with me and sometimes on the way home I empty the car door bins into it as well.I just can't get it into my head why nobody else can do this.

Empty bottles and cans strewn across the site boil my piss. I did empty a mortar tub full of them into the back of the roofers van before they left one day and I wasn't very popular. Tea drinkers and their discarded tea bags are another breed as well. Where do they think they go after being left on the side of the kettle. It's for this reason that the microwave I bought for site is still at my other house. 

As for wheelbarrows and wasted plasterboard let's not go there 😞 (If you couldn't tell) after a year on site I am now officially fed up with tradesmen.

• Like 1

i really enjoyed after i had the knock through but didnt have my full length doors fitted yet, all the builders sat smoking in the old kitchen sunbathing. And the subsequent me having to remove 5000 tab ends and fag packets from the cavity walls.

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

I do not lend anything 

or borrow anything. 

Right. Thats it. 

Rather than wait for them to ask me, I'm going to tell everyone in the next few days, I'm no longer lending tools.  It took your post @Russell griffiths for me to realise that during the entire 8 years of this build,  I haven't ever borrowed a tool.

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I do not lend anything 

or borrow anything. 

I will only borrow stuff on the understanding if it breaks I mend it (borrowed a petrol concrete cutter once and broke the pull cord but replaced it and told the owner). I don't lend tools because I am OCD and look after my tools, (clean and super sharp) I would rather do a job for someone using my tools than let them use my tools.

3 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

What gets you about some folk who visit your site ?

Luckily my builders were brilliant, tidy, listened to instructions (even when their view differed) they ended up good friends).

Reminds me of an incident when we still had a buy to let property.  There was a leak in the roof, so I had a quickstage tower up to the roof and my roof ladder hooked over the roof for the repair.  I left the house for the evening, taking with me the ladder that gave access to the scaffold.

When I returned the next day, the roof ladder was not on the roof, but leaning against the scaffold.  How did it get there.  Then I noticed the white paint on it.  It did not take much detective work to see the house a few doors down being painted.  They thought it was okay to borrow it and then not even put it back on the roof and not bother to keep it clean.

There are some cheeky b******s about.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I did my apprenticeship in toolmaking.

If you borrowed a tool, you always asked permission first, and always cleaned and returned it.

That ethos is now ingrained in my DNA.

I do the same at work, except I never offer to sharpen someone elses knife, just the slightest angle difference can change the whole feel of a chef's favourite tool.

It bugged me that despite the handy rubbish bags I had tied up in useful places, including on the skip, they still chucked crisp packets and all sorts of recyclable rubbish directly into the skip, ready to blow away… 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Bump.

Could I just ask all of you please ......

When a tradesperson comes to your site to do a job where the price has been agreed - and asks - actually asks - you whether they can borrow your tools  , as in 

"Gotta shovel I could borrow mate ?"  (and all four of your shovels are stacked in your workshop in plain sight )

- and the next day, he ( yes, 'he' ) goes into your tool store, takes two shovels and then returns them covered in solidified  concrete.......

What's your reply?

Edited by ToughButterCup

thinking back, i had a few things that i would "personally not do" if i was in the trade. Apart from smoking in the house, i recall one morning coming down and they were raiding my log store to fire up my chimenea. Yes it was really cold out there, but surely they should have asked. If they did ask then id have said just crack on lads no worries, but you cant just presume. 

Also they used parts of an old fence i had stashed behind the shed to put in the roof of my porch and they stole my builders bucket i bought to actually move my logs around 😂

A few friends and I regularly drove each other’s cars on various race tracks around Europe and the general principle was you crash you buy it.