Which nail gun

Hi all , I am looking at buying a nail gun for first fix, flooring roofing stud work etc, to use on my wrap around extension. Any recommendations on which nail gun to buy. There appears to be some good cordless battery , and gas and battery nail guns upton90mm nails, any recommendations please. Thanks Jeff 

I got a Dewalt DCN692N as it uses the same batteries as the rest of my kit.

If I was using one 5 days a week I'd probably go with a Paslode, but for < £300 and no gas to buy, the Dewalt does a very good job.

We had problems with one of our dewalt 1st fix (bought x2 and 1x 2nd fix) Should of sent it back it back but never did. When working was a good machine and handy with shared batteries. Was using the other one tonight for concrete shuttering. 

Hikoko (Hitachi) Half the price of pasloda Dewalt are great in winter No gas But not practical for roofing 

To heavy 

Posted (edited)

Secondhand is a real punt A couple of hundred for a pasloda that may arive with issues Better new and sell for hundred quid less than you paid 

Ive issues with my second fix nailer I’ve put it on market place for hundred quid Spares repair 

Just bought a second fix Dewalt 

£230 Brand new Not worth the bother of getting my old one fixed 

Edited by nod

i bought a Hikoki gun. after 3 or 4 months it started double firing or misfiring often. i took it for repair and Hikoki said "yeah, this happens. we can try and replace some parts but can't guarantee it'll fix it". i got my money back and bought a Paslode. that hasn't skipped a beat.

Posted (edited)

I personally wouldn't buy a used gun for what they cost new.

I'm just different in my choice of nailer in that all of mine are compressor run - massively more reliable and easy to repair compared to the gas cartridge and electric, and for the most part they're more powerful & lighter too. An air nailer will run all day and in almost all temperatures. I've dropped and damaged mine several times, sometimes off scaffolding, and I just call the supplier and have the spares delivered next morning. The inconvenience with an air nailer is the air line and that you'd have to buy a compressor. But price comparison there's not much in it.

A Paslode battery framing nailer will cost you around 6-700 which is about the same as a professional air framing nailer with compressor, but Tacwise sell some very good value air nailers.

Edited by SimonD

Posted (edited)

I’ve got a Bostitch one, no probs with it. Battery & gas.   I was a jammy git, a few years back Homebase was in trouble and were closing stores and getting rid of stock.  I got mine for under £400 I think it was £180 thereabouts.  Brand new.  I’ll probably get most of that back when flog it second hand.

Edited by Bozza

Thanks for all your replies, an air nailer is interesting , I have a small/ medium size compressor. I will look into an air nailer see what size nails they take etc. Any other suggestions on the battery side of things ? 
thanks jeff

1 hour ago, Jeffb said:

Thanks for all your replies, an air nailer is interesting , I have a small/ medium size compressor. I will look into an air nailer see what size nails they take etc. Any other suggestions on the battery side of things ? 
thanks jeff

I bought a DeWalt air nailer, takes 90mm nails (same as plaslode). Did all the internal stud walls, battening out the ceilings and all the external cladding (using SS ring grove) and a couple of sheds, no issues. Just used a small cheap compressor, don't bother with a good one as well the dust ect kills them.

5 hours ago, Jeffb said:

I have a small/ medium size compressor.

You should be fine then. I have a cheap 25 liter Stanley compressor I bought over 20 years ago and it's still going strong. You don't need lots of flow capacity, just variable pressure - but even then you can buy cheap units that connect to the air line to adjust pressure at the tool if necessary.

5 hours ago, Jeffb said:

I will look into an air nailer see what size nails they take etc.

You can buy air nailers for just about anything. From 1st fix framing nailers that fire up to 90mm nails, to 2nd fix brad nailers, to staplers and metal connector nailers for joist hangers etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all thanks for your replies , I have ended up with a Dewalt DCN692N used it today , with 90 and 75mm it is heavy but just about useable, I probably build up the required muscle to use it above head with a bit of luck, but to much to nail above head height so should be fine. Thanks again .