Lender not happy with builder

SarahG

After months of waiting and sending documents to Saffron BS they have now said they are happy to lend us money but not happy with our builder. Really annoyed it has taken so long for them to say this. We are happy with our builder and he comes personally recommended. Apparently they don't like his website and it has errors.

Can anyone recommend any other lenders we could try? We cant use ecology sadly as our SAP is only 82 and has to be 88.

We are hoping to start in March so really gutted about this.

55 minutes ago, SarahG said:

After months of waiting and sending documents to Saffron BS they have now said they are happy to lend us money but not happy with our builder. Really annoyed it has taken so long for them to say this. We are happy with our builder and he comes personally recommended. Apparently they don't like his website and it has errors.

Can anyone recommend any other lenders we could try? We cant use ecology sadly as our SAP is only 82 and has to be 88.

We are hoping to start in March so really gutted about this.

i am with Melton, they have been good

https://www.themelton.co.uk/mortgages/self-build-renovation-mortgages/

not sure how a mortgage company can gauge it

also you could try a self build broker

https://www.mayflowermortgage.co.uk/self-and-custom-build

Edited by Moonshine
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Temp said:

another reason

I must agree that poor websites are worse than no website.  But not that, unless it shows false information. 

But it will more likely be something else that must remain confidential. 

If they told you, you might be duty-bound to advise your broker so best leave it there perhaps.

It's their risk so their decision.

When I was looking for builders I found Builders Merchants wouldn't recommend anyone if you just walked and asked outright. However if you were in there buying something and just casually ask at tye counter.. "I don't suppose you know any good builders to consider" or "Have you heard of a builder called ..." they would be more forthcoming with their views. Staff being more forthcoming than management.

If there is another reason they have not shared it with me or maybe they can't? It is not a complete done deal yet. They have a checkatrade logo on the website but are not on checkatrade- builder says sorry it's a mistake and he doesn't use checkatrade as nobody accepts those reviews anyway and tend to be for smaller jobs. There is also a typo in the menu, it says reat extension instead of rear apparently! I mean English is not his first language, and I wouldn't wnat to go with a builder with a flashy website anyway! it just seems nit picky. He has done refurbs for our friend and their friends and all highly recommended and we think he knows what he is talking about. Their main business is refurb, but I would imagine new builds are not most builders primary work anyway.

Builder is going to get together an advice letter to vouch his work. I am hoping they will accept this.

I had a look at melton, I am already using a broker so maybe I can suggest to them. Just feel like throwing in the towel now!

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Get the SAP up 

Not that it would make your builder better, or worse.

Yes I thought someone would say this, that is of course one option but going to delay us even more :( 

6 minutes ago, SarahG said:

Yes I thought someone would say this, that is of course one option but going to delay us even more :( 

just stick some solar panels on, that usual has a bit uplift in SAP score.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, SarahG said:

A few weeks delay for a lifetime of lower energy bills and emissions? Sounds like a deal to me.

I can guarantee you you'll get no silly behaviour from Ecology, one of the best experiences with a financial institution for us.

Edited by Conor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SarahG said:

Just feel like throwing in the towel now!

It’s a marathon not a sprint. There will be several more hurdles to get over in your self-build journey. Each one can feel impossibly high to climb over but inevitably you’ll find a way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

It’s a marathon not a sprint. There will be several more hurdles to get over in your self-build journey. Each one can feel impossibly high to climb over but inevitably you’ll find a way. 

Ain’t that so.
There could be plenty more curveballs to come, so try to stay focussed and always protect the downsides in any decisions you are forced to make. Resilience is essential as self building can  really test your mental health. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Conor said:

A few weeks delay for a lifetime of lower energy bills and emissions? Sounds like a deal to me.

I can guarantee you you'll get no silly behaviour from Ecology, one of the best experiences with a financial institution for us.

We would need to get new drawings done, submit a planning amendment so would take months not weeks. In hindsight we should have perhaps done this two years ago when we were doing planning.. Is an option though. 

It feels like everything is always so difficult everywhere you turn and everything seems to cost 1000's. We have already had a delay of a year due to personal reasons. 

They basically have an issue as they can't find any independent reviews and they don't like the website (I mean nobody can fake google or checkatrade reviews can they :) ) So now I've had to ask the builder for a CV of his work and a load of other stuff, luckily he is being great and said he can do all of this. I just feel like now they are looking for an excuse to say no though.

Really is a test of mental health. Also working through various planning conditions and party wall stuff at the moment. I think someone said on here the easiest part is the build, it's all the stuff beforehand which is the hardest. I have to say without this forum I wouldn't have even got this far.

39 minutes ago, SarahG said:

t feels like everything is always so difficult everywhere you turn and everything seems to cost 1000's. We have already had a delay of a year due to personal reasons

In the sailing world, boat stands for Break Out Another Thousand. I haven't figured out the self build version yet but there has to be one.

I'm coming to the end of my build now, and can say it's been some of the hardest years of my life but come to the realisation it's been a series if problem solving and finding workable solutions day after day. It's all it is problems will come at you and its your resourcefulness and bloody mindness which gets you through

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

In the sailing world, boat stands for Break Out Another Thousand. I haven't figured out the self build version yet but there has to be one.

Stupid

Expectations of

Living

Favourably

But

Unexpectedly and

Inevitably

Lead to

Disappointment 

• Haha 1

On 17/01/2024 at 20:21, SarahG said:

We would need to get new drawings done, submit a planning amendment so would take months not weeks. In hindsight we should have perhaps done this two years ago when we were doing planning.. Is an option though. 

It feels like everything is always so difficult everywhere you turn and everything seems to cost 1000's. We have already had a delay of a year due to personal reasons. 

They basically have an issue as they can't find any independent reviews and they don't like the website (I mean nobody can fake google or checkatrade reviews can they :) ) So now I've had to ask the builder for a CV of his work and a load of other stuff, luckily he is being great and said he can do all of this. I just feel like now they are looking for an excuse to say no though.

Really is a test of mental health. Also working through various planning conditions and party wall stuff at the moment. I think someone said on here the easiest part is the build, it's all the stuff beforehand which is the hardest. I have to say without this forum I wouldn't have even got this far.

To go up 6 points in that range might not be hard, and definitely no need to go back to planning. E.g

Glazing - does you EPC assume mid range double glazing? Go triple and that will get you a few points.

Air tightness - what has your EPC assumed? 5? Drop it to 3 and that will make a difference.

PV - adding a couple pkW will get you there.

None of the above will need to go planning or require resubmission to BC, and wont add major costs to the project. For construction drawings for the builder, they are minor tweaks and in mostly the notes/schedule, rather than drawing change.

BTW, this phase is the worst. Once you get started you'll soon forget the previous two years and you'll have a new lease of life and enthusiasm. 

Our initial design was 85B. We got to 97A as-built by getting windows down from 1-1.2 to 0.8-1, walls from 0.15 to 0.13, changing oil boiler to ASHP, adding 4.5pKW of solar panels, and air test from 5 down to 1.5.

On 19/01/2024 at 09:55, Conor said:

To go up 6 points in that range might not be hard, and definitely no need to go back to planning. E.g

Glazing - does you EPC assume mid range double glazing? Go triple and that will get you a few points.

Air tightness - what has your EPC assumed? 5? Drop it to 3 and that will make a difference.

PV - adding a couple pkW will get you there.

None of the above will need to go planning or require resubmission to BC, and wont add major costs to the project. For construction drawings for the builder, they are minor tweaks and in mostly the notes/schedule, rather than drawing change.

BTW, this phase is the worst. Once you get started you'll soon forget the previous two years and you'll have a new lease of life and enthusiasm. 

Our initial design was 85B. We got to 97A as-built by getting windows down from 1-1.2 to 0.8-1, walls from 0.15 to 0.13, changing oil boiler to ASHP, adding 4.5pKW of solar panels, and air test from 5 down to 1.5.

Thanks- all good points.

Yes our glazing is all set to 1.2 u-value so that could certainly be reduced and ai tightness again is 5 so potentially another easy win.

I think as we are in a conservation area we might need to get a planning amendment. But we could do that during the build anyway and our neighbour has them so shouldn't be an issue. We would like to install them in the future anyway.

We already have an ASHP. I'm not sure about the walls, I think they are pretty highly specced already.

I've spent a lot of time this week gathering reviews and documents from the builder and people I know that have used him. Just sent it all over to my broker so I am crossing my fingers they will accept it and we can move forward.

Otherwise I think it may be a case of doing the above and trying ecology!

3 minutes ago, SarahG said:

Thanks- all good points.

Yes our glazing is all set to 1.2 u-value so that could certainly be reduced and ai tightness again is 5 so potentially another easy win.

I think as we are in a conservation area we might need to get a planning amendment. But we could do that during the build anyway and our neighbour has them so shouldn't be an issue. We would like to install them in the future anyway.

We already have an ASHP. I'm not sure about the walls, I think they are pretty highly specced already.

I've spent a lot of time this week gathering reviews and documents from the builder and people I know that have used him. Just sent it all over to my broker so I am crossing my fingers they will accept it and we can move forward.

Otherwise I think it may be a case of doing the above and trying ecology!

In a conservation area, you can't normally have solar panels that are visible from the road. So if all on the back roof, you should be ok. We used GSE in roof trays, which was one of the reasons why we got approval to have 8 panels on gable return roof thats visible from the road (also conservation area.)

8 hours ago, dpmiller said:

*think* isn't good enough, what's the number? Buildup?

Quite right. I just checked and the walls are 0.18, so sounds like there could be room for improvement there too. Maybe I should give the SAP assessor a call and see what changes we could make to get the score up to 88.

We have room on the top of the roof to put a couple of solar panels which I think would be approved as it would be the same as our neighbours.

Actually our SAP is 81B, not 82. 

Finally the lender is happy with the builder! My mortgage advisor went above and beyond to help us. The builder also sent us lots of useful documents, all this managed to reassure them thankfully. So glad to make it to the next stage, now the land valuation. I'm sure this will be fine..

• Like 3