Anyone done their own building regs plans

Hi,  

First post but been lurking a while and reading a lot.  

I’m wondering if there’s anyone here who has done their own building regs plans?

We’re looking at doing a fairly straightforward rectangular side extension (3.3m x 10m) in place of an existing garage. Having been quoted several thousand pounds from several sources for the planning app drawings I decided to do them myself in Sketchup & Layout. Plans are now submitted so whilst I wait for that I thought I’d turn my attention to building regs.  

My initial plan was to pay someone to draw them up, but having seen a few examples, I’m wondering if anyone has ever done them themselves?  

I’m going to get a SE to do all the technical aspects, and I’m wondering how feasible it is to draw up my own Full Plans by using NHBC and possibly buildingregs4plans.co.uk? I’ve seen a few people that commented that their paid for and prepared building regs plans were basically a mix of their plans and lifts from that site (which has been updated to include the new regs from Oct 2023 so the site looks pretty up to date). I probably will end up paying someone to do them, but was just curious about other people’s experiences.  

Am I being grossly unfair to the people that draw up the plans and there’s a real skill in developing these, or is it achievable myself with some thorough research? I’ve spoken to the local BCO who was very helpful and said he would do what he could to help me along the way.  

I have a pretty good knowledge of building construction and as I’m planning on doing most of the building work myself, preparing my own plans should hopefully only help to improve that. The local BCO even commented that the last self build extension he supervised was one of the best extensions he’d seen built because the guy was not having to do it to make a profit and could spend the time to do a really thorough job.  

Thanks for any thoughts.

Building regs is about details not how something looks.

BCO wants to see that the regs will be adhered to, taking a wall out? - SE calcs, fire escape? - Position, size, rating etc. Stairs? - Width, angle, rise, going, handrails, etc. foundations? - geo survey, trial pits, depth, concrete spec etc.

Plus insulation, electrics etc etc etc.

So building regs isn’t about drawings (sections through help) and all about the details.

I'm sure if you are a meticulous type, it's doable. You might go down a lot of rabbit holes, but it will definitely help. I learn the hard way that I had to research and challenge, when something didn't look right, and do my homework retrospectively. It would be worth borrowing a similar successful set of plans as a starting point

Edited by Jilly

If you have your BCO on side then do it yourself. I did my own for a full build but got an architect to draw it up on CAD (as I still use paper and pencil 🙄) and frankly he made mistakes I had to correct. Your BCO will help, as mine did.

I did. As well as planning.

I have some experience in building, but just scoured the planning portal, picked out relevant items, copied details etc and submitted my warrant application.(Scotland) I missed a few points but this was soon resolved. In Scotland we need a certificate of design as well. This has to be outsourced, but they used my detailing and amended where structure required. I know I saved a fortune. As I only spent £350 on software and around £900 for the structural calcs and certificate of design. But beware and remember you don't know what you don't know.

Lucky you, I'm sure some bcos take to interesting projects and their people.

Our Highland one says it's nice to follow the interesting project that is so different to all the mass development.

Don't expect too much, as they are inspectors not advisors.

The building regulations are open to all, so it is all in there.

If you have conventional construction and the layout is already appropriate then there isn't much to detail.

Yeah I did my own plans and building regs.

I did have a sample set I obtained from an architect, so used them as a base document. 
Saved a few grand in fees and BCO was happy so winner winner 

• Like 1

I did my own, and to be honest thy were more like construction plans as i working out how to build the thing.

I used CAD and the libreCAD software 

I got my architect to spend a couple of hours to check them over which was good. Building control only had minor comments.

Happy to send you mine taking my personal info off them

Edited by Moonshine

@moonshine I'm about to do my own too, with Sketchup Pro. I tried to get a sample copy off my BCO but he says it would be unethical. Any chance of receiving your copy, minus personal bits? (Not sure how that is done if emails are not published here)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, efkor said:

@moonshine I'm about to do my own too, with Sketchup Pro. I tried to get a sample copy off my BCO but he says it would be unethical. Any chance of receiving your copy, minus personal bits? (Not sure how that is done if emails are not published here)

I found Sketchup is good to a degree but found CAD better for my needs, it was good to be able to send the CAD files to the structural engineer etc.

I will see if I can message you them

On 16/01/2024 at 14:24, Professionally nosey said:

Yes thanks all. I'll see if i can get a set from the BCO to see what they should look like. The examples online are all quite variable in quality

I found the planning portal invaluable for this, searching local builds/extensions on the map meant I could see what was being built and you can down load the documents for any particular application. Got lots of ideas and tips just from looking at what had passed planning. There's the whole range from biro on lined paper to full architectural designs.

Doing it on building notice means i never submitted any thing to building control past drainage layout and a shed load of money.

5 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

BC docs are minimal - generally just a completion cert and nothing else.

Yes the BC designs are not published for commercial reasons....as above...People might dabble and make big mistakes.

Plus there can be very clever ideas that the designer doesn’t want to leak to the competition.

But for a simple and traditional building, a designer might put construction level info on the planning drawings, and so it gets published in the planning register.

We did our rear extension, 3x5 on a building notice, no regs drawings or plans... Just made it up as we went along.

We'll do the same with our side extension, settle on a contruction method (150 cavity, full fill) and get on with it.

Edited by HughF

• 2 weeks later...

I did my most recent extension on a notice too. The key thing is to make sure the builder understands it is his responsibility to build to regs and final payment is subject to a completion certificate being issued. i.e. the builder is on a design and build contract. Do expect to pay a premium for the builder's risk though. In my case it wasn't an issue because the builder and the LA BCO had worked together loads of times and there was mutual trust and respect.

IMHO this is a good way to go because it totally avoids any controversy between the designer and the builder passing the buck between each other if there is a problem with BC.

• 2 weeks later...

I did my own Building Reg drawings, just based them on the Planning Drawings which I also did with more details and a extra sheet of notes. Most of the notes required are pretty standard and can be obtained from the website below or cribed from online BC drawings. Local Authority Planning drawings are usually available for public view online and sometimes include the BC notes, useful if there are similar properties to your own in your road or area to compare with.

This is a good website in link below for showing the kind of Building Reg drawing details and notes that are needed for various kinds of extension:-

https://www.buildingregs4plans.co.uk/index.php