Noisy 13A socket

Adsibob

We have a couple of single gang 13A sockets, each of which has two USB type A sockets as well. When a USB cable is inserted to charge a device the socket makes a very slight high pitched sound. It normally wouldn't be bothersome, but these sockets are either side of a bed (and designed to allow the user of the bed to charge their device whilst they sleep).

I can't find the receipt, but I suspect this was a fairly cheap socket, so I'm now looking to replace it with something better.

Ideally, I would like something like thisL https://www.screwfix.com/p/knightsbridge-13a-1-gang-sp-switched-socket-4-0a-2-outlet-type-a-c-usb-charger-matt-black-with-black-inserts/756vf because it has both a Type A and Type C usb socket, which i think will be more useful now that Type C is becoming more prevalent.

However, I've not had particularly good experiences of Knightsbridge products (the only Knightsbridge product we have is a shaver point in our bathroom, and that makes a slight buzzing sound when something is plugged into it); plus the expense of this socket looks extortionate.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

21 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The very last place I want my phone at night is by my bed.  It gets plugged in to charge overnight in a different room.

Each to their own. 

26 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Mine are the same, stopped using them, just plugged in the 3 pin plug instead.

Which brand are your noisy ones @JohnMo?

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

Ideally, I would like something like this because it has both a Type A and Type C usb socket, which i think will be more useful now that Type C is becoming more prevalent.

The changes in socket types are why I choose only regular 230V power outlets.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

The very last place I want my phone at night is by my bed.  It gets plugged in to charge overnight in a different room.

You're not 'OnThePull ' anymore Dave are ya...... Or got grandchildren who need carting to school, so they get delivered to your door at 0530 - and the parent throws the child through the door and says  ' GoddaRushSorry KissKiss

Now then, about those spellings we were going to learn - 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mike said:

The changes in socket types are why I choose only regular 230V power outlets.

I think that now that USB-C is mandatory in the EU for pretty much all new handheld devices, it will become universal, even here in Brexitlandia.

4 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

I think that now that USB-C is mandatory in the EU for pretty much all new handheld devices, it will become universal, even here in Brexitlandia.

No, we will go back to unshielded 5 Amp plugs.  We will not be able to afford to plug anything in that draws a whopping 10,000 BTU/h.

5 Amp Round Pin Plugs Mains Plug 3 Pin Lighting Plugs for Stage ...

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

Problem is, there's USB-C and there's USB-C

Most laptops, phones etc benefit from >5V for faster charging, but most cheap chargers, inc all those I'm aware of built into UK sockets, will only give 5V. (Note many advertise higher amperages, but this is largely irrelevant if they don't have PD compliance)

Now beside the bed a trickle charge is often less problematic, but in the kitchen etc I much more often need to fast charge, maybe for a power guzzling laptop. And the kitchen is somewhere I value integrated USB sockets a lot more, as we have less places to hide a charger box -- under the bed or behind the nightstand is really easy in comparison.

So for me I went with plain old 13A outlets pretty much everywhere, and will upgrade in 5-10yrs when I'm sure a standard has settled and better quality options exist.

(On the flip side, I also have cheap bike lights with a "USB-C" charger socket that refuses to charge on a proper Power-Delivery compliant charger, it will only charge from a dumb 5V PSU... sigh. But they will have died and gone to landfill long before I put USB-C chargers integrated everywhere)

Thanks @joth. It's really only in one room where it will be helpful to have integrated USB because the room is tiny so the only place where a bedside table could go is also the only place where the socket can go, so integrated saves space. In the end I went with this as it has one of each type, which seems useful for now: https://alertelectrical.com/click-deco-matt-black-usb-a-c-port-13a-single-socket-vpmb585bk.html

I appreciate it only offers:

• Independent Charging: 5V DC, 4A – USB Type A (2.4A), USB Type C (3A)
  • Dual Charging: 5V DC, 4A - USB Type A (1.2A), USB Type C (3A)

But that will do for overnight charging of phones and similar devices.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

No, we will go back to unshielded 5 Amp plugs.

These and sockets are still available and I use them for lighting controlled by wall switches (hard wired ones!!,!,)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Thanks @joth. It's really only in one room where it will be helpful to have integrated USB because the room is tiny so the only place where a bedside table could go is also the only place where the socket can go, so integrated saves space. In the end I went with this as it has one of each type, which seems useful for now: https://alertelectrical.com/click-deco-matt-black-usb-a-c-port-13a-single-socket-vpmb585bk.html

I appreciate it only offers:

• Independent Charging: 5V DC, 4A – USB Type A (2.4A), USB Type C (3A)
  • Dual Charging: 5V DC, 4A - USB Type A (1.2A), USB Type C (3A)

But that will do for overnight charging of phones and similar devices.

If its overnight charging, what about wireless charging? 

The charge mats Double up as drinks coasters for the morning cuppa 😂

24 minutes ago, joe90 said:

These and sockets are still available and I use them for lighting controlled by wall switches (hard wired ones!!,!,)

I had a regular call out to replace these in a hotel where European travellers would force euro plugs into them. 

Think they were the 2A version.. Smaller pins, the face plate would be cracked, I think I was replacing 3 or 4 a month into they moved over to flexed outlets for the table lamps

1 hour ago, joe90 said:
3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Me too - very useful for that, though better to use a sleeved version. Domestically the corresponding shuttered BS 546 sockets are still permitted for lighting.

I wish they had an equivalent in France, where instead the best you can do is to add 2 regular power sockets (confusing) or flex connection plates (annoying) to a lighting circuit.

2 hours ago, joth said:
3 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Problem is, there's USB-C and there's USB-C

Most laptops, phones etc benefit from >5V for faster charging, but most cheap chargers, inc all those I'm aware of built into UK sockets, will only give 5V

Yes, I can recommend USP PD (Power Delivery) power supplies to save space when travelling, if you have a compatible device. They have USB-C plugs on the cables but can go up to 48V.

Edited by Mike

3 minutes ago, Mike said:
1 hour ago, joe90 said:
3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Me too - very useful for that

Would that not be like having two fridges, one for just milk and the other, larger one, for everything else.

Why go to all the bother of fitting the extra wiring and different sockets just to run a few lights that can be run of a normal 13A socket.

11 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Would that not be like having two fridges, one for just milk and the other, larger one, for everything else.

Why go to all the bother of fitting the extra wiring and different sockets just to run a few lights that can be run of a normal 13A socket.

That’s not what I said, 

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

I use them for lighting controlled by wall switches (hard wired ones!!,!,)

That is what I said, I like to be able to switch standard and table lights from the door and if you fit several sockets you can  move lights and furniture around and still control then from the door, usually only fitted in a lounge.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, joe90 said:

That’s not what I said, 

I know, but it seems a harder way to do it, simple remote switching will do that for for a fraction of the price and give you more versatility. 

31 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

So you can switch them all from the door simultaneously (or wherever the light switches are), instead of individually. Not a problem if you only have a couple of lamps, but if you have 6 or 12 of them scattered around a room, it's much easier.

22 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I know, but it seems a harder way to do it, simple remote switching will do that for for a fraction of the price and give you more versatility. 

As you know @SteamyTea I am in favour of kiss plus I started doing this before remote units were available. It all started when I was quite young, watching a film where someone entered a room and switched several table lamps on from the wall switch, it’s all about choice.

Edited by joe90

14 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:
19 minutes ago, Mike said:

6 or 12 of them scattered around a room

There is no hope for energy reduction when people fit that many lights

It does depend on the room size, but the power used by a dozen 3W LED lamps is not huge, while often being preferable (visually and in energy use) to a ceiling full of 10 or 12 Watt LED downlighters.

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

That is what I said, I like to be able to switch standard and table lights from the door and if you fit several sockets you can  move lights and furniture around and still control then from the door, usually only fitted in a lounge.

We have the same, and I really like it. Every bedroom, my study and the lounge has this. It is extra cost to do, but worth the convenience in my opinion. Particularly as I’m not much of a fan of ceiling lighting, so much of our lighting is a cocinaron of wall lights, table and floor lights.

• Like 2