Cutting veneer

Pocster

Don’t like this .

Big sheets - no mistakes 🫤

Not ready yet - but worried once I cut will chip and give a crap cut edge .

Tape line where I’m cutting ?

Circular saw or jigsaw ?

What type of blade for either ? ( even a ‘fine’ circular saw blade looks aggressive )

6 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

Personally I’m shit with a jigsaw and would use circular every time if possible. Or a track saw. 

I don’t know how to stop the chipping though. 

Yeah I’d use a guide for either saw .

It’s the chipping that worries me .

I presume someone will recommend some mega blade for either that doesn’t chip …. 🫤🙄

I'm sure there are a million and one youtube videos. I think there are some 'down cutting' blades for jigsaws. Also, I know cabinet makers use various types of tapes e.g. masking tape, to resist chipping. Maybe some subtle lubrication e.g. rub a little on the cutting blade with some hard, colourless wax e.g. a candle. Practice a bit on some off cuts?

24 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

I'm sure there are a million and one youtube videos. I think there are some 'down cutting' blades for jigsaws. Also, I know cabinet makers use various types of tapes e.g. masking tape, to resist chipping. Maybe some subtle lubrication e.g. rub a little on the cutting blade with some hard, colourless wax e.g. a candle. Practice a bit on some off cuts?

Yeah - there aren’t any off cuts ( yet ) . I did Google but it seemed a bit random on what’s recommended .

8 minutes ago, Pocster said:

Care to link ( say on screw it fix ) to what you mean by ‘fine’ ?

Appreciated ! 👍

A crosscut blade, highest number of teeth for the diameter you can get. The 6-1/2 inch ultra thin blades are fantastic

Edited by markc
  • Like 1

If it's a 165mm blade, go for 40t+. I use these. 24tfor ripping and first fix, 40t for fine.

Trend CraftPro Triple Pack of Medium/Fine Finish TCT Saw Blades for DC390, DWE007, DCS391, DC391N Circular Saws, 165mm x 20mm Bore, 24 & 40 Teeth, Tungsten Carbide Tipped, CSB/165/3PK/C https://amzn.eu/d/hp07Ddg

Edited by Conor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, cherryfountain said:

If it’s worktop you are cutting and the edge is on show ,cut it 10mm approx from line with jigsaw then finish with router and clamped straight edge.You then have an edge you can laminate .

Yes, only way to get a perfect edge is with a router and guide or clamped straight edge. Circular saw and fine (many) teeth second best and sanded with block. You must cut it face down if using a circular saw. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Reckon everyone needs a track saw, they are an absolute gamechanger. 

I've got a Bosch one it's ace, Corded though, but I can deal with that.  To think I procrastinated for so long before buying too.  I keep scouring amazon warehouse for 'used. like new' tracks and stuff.  Although I've got 2 1.4m tracks I could do with a dinky one to go with.

First rule of self build should be - Allocate 2/3k to tool purchase, then you don't need to feel guilty!

• Like 1