Ofgem scam

20 minutes ago, Marvin said:

We already run our own charging system for the EV, however there are particular requirements to make this work:

The EV has a range of about 250 to 300 miles. (large storage)

It does about 5000 miles a year.(low milage)

When home the EV is plugged in all the time. (often home all day)

The charger is the 3kW type. (low and slow charging)

The charger will only charge if the PV produces at least 2.5kW during winter or 3kW during summer, unless overridden. (control system)

We have a 5.12kW PV system.(large PV array)

Based on the Isle of Wight(one of the sunniest areas in England) 

Therefore our car would not help with the grid as we do not charge during the night 99% of the time (only twice last year).

However if there was a system where everybody plugged there vehicle in when they parked in say a carpark, allowing excess energy to charge the vehicles, this would be a great benefit. Now that would work. But this will need the powers that be to deal with the problem and not the cause.    

its not the charging of v2g is pulling power from the car during grid peaks.

26 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

its not the charging of v2g is pulling power from the car during grid peaks.

Ah understood. Well that wouldn't work very easily I think the management of it would be a nightmare, not from the Grid and meter side but from the user side. Wanting to charge your car and then having to wait 2 hours until the peak period is over is one thing when your at home but at a charging point in the freezing cold. hmm.... Talk about charging anxiety! Everyone would want vehicles with a 500 mile range!

Edited by Marvin
Completely changed

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Ah understood. Well that wouldn't work very easily I think the management of it would be a nightmare, not from the Grid and meter side but from the user side. Wanting to charge your car and then having to wait 2 hours until the peak period is over is one thing when your at home but at a charging point in the freezing cold. hmm.... Talk about charging anxiety! Everyone would want vehicles with a 500 mile range!

from what ive read its user optional and you will be paid. so for example you work 9-5 then drive home and park up. 60% charge left. you may wish to allow 30% of your remaining charge to power your house during the peak time of 4-8 after which you get to top back up for cheap / free

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

Why is yours only going down £16?  Mine is going down 8% which at my annual usage is about £150

This is what is in the email £16.85 = 4.75%. This is by how much the prices are GOING DOWN. It's a joke or they just test how stupid people are.
If this kind of announcements make people happier I don't know what to think. It's one of the cheapest ways of making people happy for the next 6 months I have seen.

I forgot such thing is called PROPAGANDA.

I could save a bit more between 10-12% if I use one of their fixed tariffs 13, 25 months ones but this discount is so they harvest my data and I have to pay them by Direct Debit.

To me this 10% is peanuts and I am thinking of getting rid of the smart meter anyway because it interferes with my music equipment.

High standing charges is an obvious incentive to people who have some money reserves to burn 20k and go off-grid. This is how I see it.

Screenshot_2023-09-24_13-15-38.jpg

Screenshot_2023-09-24_13-16-23.jpg

3 minutes ago, JohnBishop said:

This is what is in the email £16.85 = 4.75%. This is by how much the prices are GOING DOWN. It's a joke or they just test how stupid people are.
If this kind of announcements make people happier I don't know what to think. It's one of the cheapest ways of making people happy for the next 6 months I have seen.

I am with Octopus and they have just told me my prices are going down 8% to less than the price cap, and standing charges are not going up.

If Octopus can supply for less than the cap price why can't others?   In theory if actual prices are less than the capped price, we should be back to proper competition.

If you want to switch to them (and I recommend them for a variety of reasons) then PM me for a referal code to get £50 credit.

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

The biggest challenge is storage. We produce all of our home and EV needs, if only we could install a practical storage system. In the UK the average energy loss through distribution is 8%.

The 4 main energy demands we have are building heating, hot water, cooking and the EV. (however the EV is more like a mobile energy store for us).

Back to the original subject:

So to save us from high energy bills the decision is to borrow money at the highest interest rate for 14 years to put off paying until future dates when one way or another we will then have to pay the original amount and interest. Lovely.

The pot that this money comes out of is the taxpayers: yours and mine. Meanwhile, this handout strategy, whilst most needed for some, will become an expectation when something unexpected happens.

What happened to the idea of a hand up rather than a hand out. Yes it maybe too late for this winter, but what about the next, and the next, and the next, and the next, and the next, and on and on. Reacting to the symptoms and not the cause! Dah!

Too many people, businesses and countries have borrowed too much.

But borrowed from whom? Marvin are you suggesting there are some higher entities above governments that lend us money? Otherwise we would borrow from ourselves, no?

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I am with Octopus and they have just told me my prices are going down 8% to less than the price cap, and standing charges are not going up.

If Octopus can supply for less than the cap price why can't others?   In theory if actual prices are less than the capped price, we should be back to proper competition.

If you want to switch to them (and I recommend them for a variety of reasons) then PM me for a referal code to get £50 credit.

Before I was with London Power via Octopus (before Octopus I was with Bulb) but at the new address I don't have any other options but SO Energy. When I switch I save £12 - a joke.
I think in the countryside there aren't many options but in the city they maintain this pretend market and you have many pretend energy suppliers to choose from.

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

The only problem with nuclear power is the containment of waste and the fallout from a power plant destruction. I think we have to make smaller power plants that if destroyed will not kill the human race. How this would work I do not know, but if this can be achieved then it will gain my vote.

So how (we think) technologically inferior French do it? Apparently their grid is 80-90% nuclear.
I think it's a cross border agenda we are dealing with here. I think the energy costs went up across the board "because of COVID", "because of war", "because of climate change", "because of higher than ever extreme weather patterns". Of course all bollocks explanations.

Edited by JohnBishop

1 hour ago, JohnBishop said:

But borrowed from whom? Marvin are you suggesting there are some higher entities above governments that lend us money? Otherwise we would borrow from ourselves, no?

Where does the UK borrow money from? The money the UK borrows comes from the private sector, usually financial institutions like pension funds and banks. It raises this cash from bonds - also known as gilts.

1 hour ago, JohnBishop said:

So how (we think) technologically inferior French do it? Apparently their grid is 80-90% nuclear.

Statistics published today by the U.K. Department for Transport (DfT) show that in 2022 85% of the car drivers in Great Britain broke the law by driving faster than the speed limit in 20mph zones.

The choice to live dangerously is available to everyone.

2 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Possibly places like China - they like to lend

Do you mean the Phoenicians in Hong Kong and Shanghai but also at Manhattan, City Of London, Canary Wharf, Frankfurt and other less significant locations? That lady who is or maybe was leading the COVID scam from NHS angle is/was also the chair at the Bank of England. She has a telling nickname "Dido". I let you do some research on that.
Someone else is lending money not Chinese who just recently crawled out of the mud. Their banking was reset (de-nationalised) no more than 50 years ago. The West was already in debt big time to whom to Commie Chinese?

Edited by JohnBishop

46 minutes ago, JohnBishop said:

Do you mean the Phoenicians in Hong Kong and Shanghai but also at Manhattan, City Of London, Canary Wharf, Frankfurt and other less significant locations? That lady who is or maybe was leading the COVID scam from NHS angle is/was also the chair at the Bank of England. She has a telling nickname "Dido". I let you do some research on that.
Someone else is lending money not Chinese who just recently crawled out of the mud. Their banking was reset (de-nationalised) no more than 50 years ago. The West was already in debt big time to whom to Commie Chinese?

? No idea what you you talking about

On 23/09/2023 at 17:59, SteamyTea said:

It is still pretty cheap when you think about it, 3.6 MJ for 30p.

A Big Mac has 2.06 MJ and it costs £4.59.

Tesco Red Lentils have 0.322 MJ in 80g, that works out at 30p, for an eleventh of the energy company content, and you have to boil them up at home.

Take a thermos to work and bring home hot water.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, JohnBishop said:

[..] and I am thinking of getting rid of the smart meter anyway because it interferes with my music equipment. [..]

There is nothing in a smart meter that can create interference ..? More likely something in your house such as a fridge or another motor that is creating noise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PeterW said:

There is nothing in a smart meter that can create interference ..? More likely something in your house such as a fridge or another motor that is creating noise.

Or is there?  A smart meter is basically a 2G phone used for data.  Does nobody else remember placing a phone on the dashboard shelf next to the car radio and getting "galloping horses" interference on the car radio?