Can you help me tidy up this socket

Adsibob

We have some sockets built into a bookcase to plug some speakers and lamps into.

The socket is probably 6mm too low for the plug to fit in comfortably, unless I switch this plug for one that doesn’t have such a large milder plastic mount on it. But it would also give the lamp a bit more visual “breathing space” if I got rid of the plug altogether.

IMG_2654.thumb.jpeg.4b37e9f36a9bc2c36c08df40ac6bd9db.jpeg

I found this online, but not sure how it would be wired up:

https://www.corston.com/products/cord-outlet-antique-brass-1?variant=39293021323361&bcndyn=d2lkOjQ4OHxjaWQ6NTY5&gad_id=&utm_campaign=Google_Ads&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5f2lBhCkARIsAHeTvlgOLBlBfvfNNxDi8i6nC7GLxAvARlUbWx_6nTXjavYiyiLPYfy2b0saAsC6EALw_wcB

Where would the fuse go?

Alternatively, is there another type of socket that can connect directly to the cable, without having an actual plug?

Edited by Adsibob

16 minutes ago, RichardL said:

Hole in the unit corner & discrete grommet - then a stock spur socket out of sight?

Perhaps just the hole to push the cable loop into?

The socket is cut into a bespoke bookcase. The location of the socket cannot now be changed. So only possibility is to replace the socket and/or drill an additional hole in the back panel of the bookcase for the cable to pass through. I’m keen to understand if I can just drill a hole in the cover plate of the Corston socket.

10 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

The socket is cut into a bespoke bookcase. The location of the socket cannot now be changed. So only possibility is to replace the socket and/or drill an additional hole in the back panel of the bookcase for the cable to pass through. I’m keen to understand if I can just drill a hole in the cover plate of the Corston socket.

You can’t drill holes in metal and pass mains cables through it, without installing an approved gland. I very much doubt drilling into a socket is permissible, plus you’ll need some for of cable grip also.

Why don’t you use what I’ve linked? That has a front exit cable every point with a cord grip all in one. Drop in a 3A fuse and you’re done 

48 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

I’m keen to understand if I can just drill a hole in the cover plate of the Corston socket.

I suppose that’s possible with a Grommet but you will not have a cord grip or fuse 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

I’m keen to understand if I can just drill a hole in the cover plate of the Corston socket.

They will have some sort of frame that screws into the patress box and the face plate clips to the frame so no screws visible. Some modification to the frame might be needed. I've done similar things to other makes to produce things like loud speakers cable outlets.