Down the big long lane...

dpmiller

On 22/08/2019 at 15:24, dpmiller said:

Time for another landmark. Upstairs pipe loop installed, screed poured today as planned. Remarkable stuff- I was expecting runny,  but just how coarse the aggregate in it is surprised me.

DSC_0884.thumb.JPG.f8ed86a9a5adc35585c39802f40ca7eb.JPG

Is it self levelling?

• 2 weeks later...

more toys installed. Acquired a Solar iBoost+ and while I don't have any water storage yet I did have the desire to hang on to what generation we do have.

So plugged an 800W halogen heater in, to keep the cool at bay.

Last night at 7pm? still a nice warmth. Pretty impressed.

today at 9am. heater maxed out. What to do... Plug the kettle in. Well blow me, if the kettle hasn't gone the whole way to the boil twice today. 5.5kWh captured.

not bad...

Insulation is good. I like insulation. It even seems to be working...  Overnight temperatures are dropping radically but the small amount of heat that the diverter is putting in during the day seems to be hanging around nicely. Drops consistently from 16 and a bit to 15 and a bit overnight. And while we're airtight there's not yet any insulation in the attic and the GF is a bare uninsulated subfloor so I think we're doing OK.

Was given the loan of a plasterboard lifter so that'll make things slightly less difficult in the near future.

Oh and got some company for the digger, a dog-rough but useable Thwaites 4000 dumper. Putt Puttt Putt.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nearing December. We would've loved habitable for Christmas but are a fair bit off. [shrug]

Sitrep:

One side of every internal wall PB'd

Internal walls and GF ceilings all insulated. First layer of insulation in the attic complete.

FF ceiling boarded out.

Upstairs mostly firstfixed for electric, plumbing still a bit to do.

First couple of sheets of PB (that soundblock is HEAVY!) hung on the GF ceiling.

Oh, and I'm sold on MVHR. Was working on a diesel spaceheater for a customer last weekend. Ran it for an hour in the hallway. 17c downstairs, stifling on the balcony. 7c outside that night. Supply air 15+c. Impressive.

• Like 1

Goodies. Haven't unpacked the bath fully yet, but it's a big'un, a 1400 symmetrical corner. Threw some ceramics together for a look-see, as I hadn't actually seen them in the flesh prior to purchase. Lecico Atlas Smooth, we have a Lecico suite currently and I've no problem with the quality, this range has the look we wanted (SWMBO wanted a classic round bowl but with no hard-to-clean external detailing) at a nice price-point

.DSC_1016.thumb.JPG.5b484974998f18923b44c333b9aec24d.JPG

DSC_1015.thumb.JPG.37b94a40684f5e6a8b24948690e23bec.JPG

I fitted a sink very similar (Homebase) but put the wc like that back in the box and went wall hung.

Much nicer to look at and easier to clean.....or so I'm told!

A fiver says you fit a bog roll holder before I do! ?

Edited by Onoff

• 3 weeks later...

Got tired of using fan and halogen heaters.  So plumbed a Willis into the main manifold and got some circulation to the upstairs loop, which covers the landing/balcony, the big bathroom, and the ensuite. I couldn't quite get enough flow through the willis just by closing the bypass over so it's duty cycle was a bit low; conveniently I was able to set a length of 15mm copper into the end of the bypass pipe (vertical, to the right of the pump )to force flow down into the cold end of the immersion. Much Better. Got the loop up to 23c return temp today and the house did feel a lot warmer for it.

DSC_1032.thumb.JPG.663610ead2ea5b4feb994d43407266a1.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Carrying on. More pipes, more cables, more plasterboard. Howdens stock door linings for CLS-sized studwork so gave them a try and have to say, pleasantly surprised with the quality and service. Got a door to go with, to square things up easily.

Had a plasterer down to price some bits and bobs. Waiting for another crew to offer costings now.  Plan is, to get the ensuite skimmed out so we can get a working bathroom and get shot of the portaloo. I won't miss the rental going out every month...

Which leaves today.  Loos don't work without drains, and we'd never got a final scheme together for the BCO. And based on the limited height we have between the current level, the FFL and the FGL I didn't want any nasty surprises re. pipe cover etc. So, called in to request a visit just to thrash out what works and suits.

BCO arrives, makes approving noises about progress, doesn't care to look at any internal drainage and agrees to all the points of my (minimal) scheme. I asked if there's anything else he wants to see or check on before I start covering the GF ceilings and...no. Just a look at the safety glass in the french doors.

So we're clear to complete the surface water drainage with no inspection required and he just wants a call to pop out and view the foul pipework once bedded.

Onwards!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Relatively busy couple of weeks. Had the groundworks guys in for a few days and so the foul drains are ready for inspection tomorrow. Half of the rainwater drainage is done too, and a trench cut to drop the mains water pipe into. With the overnight rain it's looking more like a navigation...

Had some skimming done so amongst other things the hotpress is ready to receive some pipework.

And this:

ensuite.thumb.jpg.93d884f0758dd5968ca395368ec718ba.jpg

just the door to hang now. A touch more civilised than a site loo, yes?

• Like 1

On 22/08/2019 at 15:24, dpmiller said:

Time for another landmark. Upstairs pipe loop installed, screed poured today as planned. Remarkable stuff- I was expecting runny,  but just how coarse the aggregate in it is surprised me.

DSC_0884.thumb.JPG.f8ed86a9a5adc35585c39802f40ca7eb.JPG

what dat blue stuff sticking up from floor?

More progress today, more milestones. Paul was down bright and early (freezing!) and by the time I called down for the morning update he'd cut a fine-looking trench out the front to let the front downspouts and future ACO run straight out to the open field drain.

front_drain.thumb.jpg.42b650cb9cdcc658da51ddeeb42b0d23.jpg

...which dealt nicely with the weekend's problem. The trench dug for the mains water drained into it.

oops.thumb.jpg.775385e53a924d182f9563c72711e372.jpg

We then brought the water into the house, dropping from the long 32mm down the lane to a 25mm at a toby, so we've local isolation. Sent me up the lane to turn off, and them promptly made the joint live before I had a chance to even get the screwdriver out of the car. Phone line is in alongside it.

For completeness, here's the rear and right rainwater drainage, with a rare sight on Sandy, in the trench, trying not to lose her wellies to the clay. All the foul works sit on top of this pretty much so we'll need a few loads of rubble now to build levels up past them. No piccies of the foul yet, must do that for my records.

back_drain.thumb.jpg.7d88ffff870e490623786b6f9f66ae61.jpg

And the final result? Loo flushes, and Chinesium hot-water tap works. Bought on a whim but it's actually a pretty smart item. I stripped and checked it for all the usual Chinese failings. Metal clad element, earth wire connected to it, overtemp and underpressure control. Super.

hot_tap.thumb.jpg.9bad1c02e9d4f3640ced58b4361608a7.jpg

Just need to pull the SWA out to the treatment plant and get it commissioned now.

• Like 3