Down the big long lane...

dpmiller

Treatment plant wired in and running. Just the air inlet pipe to sort for the pump (I'm extending it so it's little stack is in the hedgeline rather than in thee middle of a lawn) but it's working. Very quiet.  The Hiblow pump sits inside a sealed "bucket"- a screw-top vessel as used for storage on boats or that Sigma chemicals are supplied in- and this sits in the middle of the "manhole" atop the airlift pipe. So well isolated from the outside world.

At power-on it did a 30-min airlift discharge cycle which does have a distinct trickling water sound and then settled into it's programmed bubble/ settle sequence. The bubble portion is 14mins, not quite sure what the settle is yet. From the manual this means it's set default as 8PE. When bubbling there's no noise whatsoever and the body of water heaves with a remarkable turbulence but no visible bubbles. I darned-near had to rest my ear on the closed manhole lid to hear the hum of the pump. It's double skinned poly which helps too no doubt.

I've found a passord online to try on the controller. If it works I'll play with the menus a bit and reset down to about 5PE (there'll generally only be three of us in the house) If it doesn't I'll get the rep to pop in and do it, he lives locally. Piccies to follow.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

And it keeps on keeping on. Down to my last stack of plasterboard. Been doing some diggering of soil and rubble outside so the topsoil mound is smaller than it was and we've an inkling of the shape of drive and garden.

But more interesting stuff. As I'd mentioned elsewhere I'd ordered the thermal store- from the lovely people at World Heat- after it became apparent that Harlequin have moved away from larger and multi-coil variants of the Heatstream. Bit of a b*gger as I'd already pre-plumbed some stuff with it in mind. Hey-ho.

270l active, with expansion space above. Direct tappings from the boiler stove, an HP coil (15mx 35mm corrugated), a 15mx 25mm DHW coil, and two immersions. All in stainless.

So tank is in place and sufficient of the plumbing done that I was able to fill it last night; from a stone cold start today it had got to over 51c and tripped out the 'stat (that I'd forgotten to turn up...) off diverted PV, and today wasn't terribly sunny. 7kWh diverted, according to the iBoost. I'm very happy with that.

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

TS can go to 90c but make sure you have a proper mixing valve setup that can take hot at 90c into the TMV. 

It's as supplied, but I'll look into a copy of the MIs for the valve itself, thanks.

OK for completeness it's a Reliance tempering valve and good to 99c

Edited by dpmiller
updating info
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dpmiller said:

Hot-press plumbing done, give or take. Just need to bring some cables up to a wiring centre on the wall and that'll be it for now. DSC_1455.thumb.JPG.2c8b413bfc9f15800480cdec5fadc39c.JPG

What is the black box with the gauges on please?

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

What is the black box with the gauges on please?

It's an Afriso pump station for the boiler stove, Like a Laddomat. Recirculates the water in a boiler stove until it heats to a useable temp before letting it into the tank. Improves combustion efficiency and boiler life.

• Thanks 1

Now it's not much more than an anecdote but...

there's been s few sunny days this week. Reported diversion is about 10kWh per day (yes, I'm running hot water off every evening to pull some energy out of the TS) bringing the store back up to 88c and both stats satisfied. I've been able to do some monitoring of the DHW coil performance in the process and can see that the deltaT between store and flow out of the coil is around 10c at 10l/min sustained, less at single-tap flow rates. Plus the coil's volume means it's even better than that for a quick handwash. Oh as 20secs for hot to the ensuite which is about the longest run in the house.

But what I find more interesting is this. I've been having difficulty believing in the heat loss calcs for the house, it's hard to wrap yer head round such a big house only taking a few kW to heat it. So while I'm surprised, I'm also pleased to see that since commissioning the TS evening temperatures in the house  have dropped between 2 and 4c from a stifling 22-24c to a rock steady 19-20c.

And all because the silly wee 800w halogen heater that I'd connected to the diverter isn't trundling away all day...

• 2 months later...

Steady progress.

Plasterboarding just about finished. Remainder moved upstairs for storage

Ground floor cleared

Insulation down (100PIR over 50 graphite EPS)

Heating plumbing roughly in place

Now working my way through the UFH pipework. About halfway there now...

2020-11-25_19-51-57.thumb.jpg.862ba49893ba10041150c02de2bb425d.jpg

Willis on the left (and the piping from the ASHP will come through the wall in roughly that location). Diverter valve next (sorry @ProDave) defaulting all flow up to the TS's coil, mixing flows in the mid position and bypassing the TS when fully over. One 2-way valve sending up to the towel rail manifold, and the last sending round to the UFH manifold. Bypass valve to ensure necessary flow in all states.

Interesting observation is that with the towel rail motorvalve open the is sufficient flow- convective or otherwise- to warm the FF ensuite towel rail even with the manifold pump off.

And yes, I've pipe insulation to fit yet...

2020-11-29_20-02-46.thumb.jpg.c7e2d328a3c1c9f320eedd0f4b93cbdf.jpg

Edited by dpmiller
typos
  • Like 1

Date set for the screed pour- next Thursday (17th). Got the final loop down on the floor tonight, so that gives me a chance to go over the edge insulation, joints etc prior.

Total loop length? 666 metres. Really. And no, not deliberately....

DSC_1600.thumb.JPG.55b6ef2cb9cd5e35d3c99d0343a5641f.JPG

• Like 1