Sign in to follow this  
dpmiller

Down the big long lane...

Right then gents. Getting into the nitty gritty of some TF quotes and of the two I'm most interested in (names witheld at this time..) I'm interested in the collective's opinion of differing buildups. Forgetting cost at this point, and bearing in mind both systems are quoting the same U- value:-

option 1

breather membrane/9mm OSB/140mm stud filled with Frametherm35/ 50mmPUR/ vapour barrier/ service void/ PB

option 2

breather membrane/ 12mm Durelis Populair/ 140mm stud filled with Superglass35/ 50mmPUR taped as air&vapour tight/ service void/ PB

Is the Populair's better vapour transfer likely to be a benefit in the real world?

The OSB is the racking layer to give the building strength. How does the Populair compare to OSB in that respect?

9 hours ago, dpmiller said:

Right then gents. Getting into the nitty gritty of some TF quotes and of the two I'm most interested in (names witheld at this time..) I'm interested in the collective's opinion of differing buildups. Forgetting cost at this point, and bearing in mind both systems are quoting the same U- value:-

option 1

breather membrane/9mm OSB/140mm stud filled with Frametherm35/ 50mmPUR/ vapour barrier/ service void/ PB

option 2

breather membrane/ 12mm Durelis Populair/ 140mm stud filled with Superglass35/ 50mmPUR taped as air&vapour tight/ service void/ PB

Is the Populair's better vapour transfer likely to be a benefit in the real world?

Your first option is essentially the same as my wall buildup, by the way, although as I had non foil faced boards I added an additional vapour/airtightness layer. All I can say is that, so far, it seems quite warm and hasn't fallen down...

...which is a good thing @Crofter.

So where are we now then?

Solicitor is finally happy with the bones of the deal so we've signed for the site subject to a couple of final niggly niggles.

PC is happy with final placement on the site and has all the necessary drawings (location plan is GIANT to cover the whole lane, lol!) done to send in the application. He's just awaiting a FOI request for BCO's notes on the site and footings.

I need to amend the drawings to include the treatment plant and then send off the Consent to Discharge application

I need to visit the site with the strimmer and clear grass from around the footings to make'em nice and obvious

and we need to do some planting to replicate what should've been done back when the footings went down, a bit of hawthorn hedging.

Planning application is IN. Including a five page Design and Access Statement which is frankly so well composed it made my jaw drop; thus far, hiring a PC was an extremely good choice...

• Like 1