Aerogel Insulation

Sophiae

3 hours ago, dpmiller said:

In the picture with the garage door, where exactly *is* the boundary and has this been confirmed by a mapper?

My wall, my property, their fence on my wall to stop me opening my window. 

IMG_3179.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sophiae said:

My wall, my property, their fence on my wall to stop me opening my window. 

IMG_3179.jpeg

With the boundary being the wall of your garage, it seems odd that you would have an outward-opening window there, as you would be opening into your neighbour's "airspace" for want of a better term.

• Like 2

On 07/07/2023 at 13:02, Jilly said:

It might be worth looking at the deeds to see if your boundary is actually 1 m away from the wall...

I know I am well over a meter away. Even 2, but less than 3. Otherwise planning office wouldn’t have approved the plans. 

17 minutes ago, Sophiae said:

I know I am well over a meter away. Even 2, but less than 3. Otherwise planning office wouldn’t have approved the plans. 

The planners don't look at the deeds. Building control look at the evidence of the boundary, but again, no one but you and your neighbour would scrutinise your deeds. 

I might have missed something, but I can't understand how your neighbour can put a fence up and stop you opening your window...

• Like 2

On 06/07/2023 at 16:57, Sophiae said:

A quick question for all whilst we are at it. Do I need a VCL between the plasterboards and the Rigid PIR for the walls and existing roof insulation upgrade? 

a94b3b2c-5aa2-4de8-a323-8ca8183d6162.jpeg

69f55350-b289-46ad-976c-1b2ae7ed1d42.jpeg

Have you insulated the full rafter depth?

gaps need filled and foil taped and I also like to see tape extend over the rafters making the installation more airtight/belt and braces

4 hours ago, Jilly said:

The planners don't look at the deeds. Building control look at the evidence of the boundary, but again, no one but you and your neighbour would scrutinise your deeds. 

I might have missed something, but I can't understand how your neighbour can put a fence up and stop you opening your window...

You haven’t missed anything. The surveyors and the BCO a planning officers all said they can’t and shouldn’t, but my neighbours feel they are above the law and that it is inconvenient for them! Which is why I am in this pickle still. 
I guess one way to solve it is the court. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TonyT said:

Have you insulated the full rafter depth?

gaps need filled and foil taped and I also like to see tape extend over the rafters making the installation more airtight/belt and braces

I wasn’t personally there when they have full filled between rafters, I have the pictures before all was boarded. Hence why I am asking so that if it was done wrong, I will ask the person responsible to redo the full work. 

7 hours ago, Sophiae said:

You haven’t missed anything. The surveyors and the BCO a planning officers all said they can’t and shouldn’t, but my neighbours feel they are above the law and that it is inconvenient for them! Which is why I am in this pickle still. 
I guess one way to solve it is the court. 

Why does it need court? If the boundary is *actually* some distance out from your wall they must have trespassed in order to fit anything to your wall and you are at liberty to remove same. 

If you can confirm that the boundary is a metre out (or whatever), let THEM be foolish enough to try legal action...

13 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

If you can confirm that the boundary is a metre out (or whatever),

This is the whole point, what does your deeds say? Get a copy of the land registry map (I know they are not accurate to the inch/m but enough to show a gap of 1m plus). Then you can challenge your neighbour with documentation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dpmiller said:

Why does it need court? If the boundary is *actually* some distance out from your wall they must have trespassed in order to fit anything to your wall and you are at liberty to remove same. 

If you can confirm that the boundary is a metre out (or whatever), let THEM be foolish enough to try legal action...

Not only that it’s further than a meter, they have admitted in few messages corresponding to me and confirming they will not allow me to open my window and they also said they will not remove the fence from my wall. 
If it’s not the court, then it’s the police. They have placed that gate without my approval so I can’t access me wall and remove their fence. 

12 hours ago, TonyT said:

Re reading the thread, you plan to render.

how do you do this if you cannot get access outside?

All changed now. I will be constructing an external leaf with Bricks, external leaf build first on that left hand side and carrying out as usual for the rest of the extension. 

13 hours ago, joe90 said:

This is the whole point, what does your deeds say? Get a copy of the land registry map (I know they are not accurate to the inch/m but enough to show a gap of 1m plus). Then you can challenge your neighbour with documentation.

I have the deed. Where does it say and I will share a picture of it. 

1 minute ago, Sophiae said:

All changed now. I will be constructing an external leaf with Bricks, external leaf build first on that left hand side and carrying out as usual for the rest of the extension. 

how do you built the soffit / fascia/ install guttering

How do you as the client provide the workforce with a safe place to work if you cannot provide safe access?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sophiae said:

I have the deed. Where does it say and I will share a picture of it. 

The deed should have a “map “ showing boundaries or you need the land registry “map” and the boundary will be in red.

https://searchdeeds.co.uk/title-documents?title-plan&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtamlBhD3ARIsAARoaEzF0ro_9uKwOtmtcVAaDLZv31AOTOPygKQeVoTC3ELVi0FAazt2XsMaAsJyEALw_wcB

Edited by joe90

If you can anonymise the deed plan and show it to us I think that may provide some enlightenment, as I am not clear exactly what the situation is. If you could also provide a plan showing the original building and the extension that would be very useful. Apologies if you have done this already but if so, perhaps it's on another thread. Thank you!

If you are no 28 those plans show the boundary as your (garage?) wall therefore as said above how come you have an opening window into their land? This does not show you have 1m + from the boundary 🤷‍♂️.

10 minutes ago, joe90 said:

If you are no 28 those plans show the boundary as your (garage?) wall therefore as said above how come you have an opening window into their land? This does not show you have 1m + from the boundary 🤷‍♂️.

I am not sure I will be opening the window into their land. 
there is an alley between us which gives access to my left hand side wall. 
Legally I am required to open a window in all bedrooms for fire/escape. I also have submitted my plans to the planning office and they approved it. 
I have promised this window would have obscured glass so that both privacies are protected. 

1 hour ago, Sophiae said:

Can I put Sash window instead of an out opening window instead? 

How big is the window? You need to check the fire regs here with your building control/architect. If on the boundary you might not be allowed to have it openable at all.