Aerogel Insulation

Sophiae

Sure but better run it past the council  as they may have given permission based on a different style of window in keeping with the rest of the house,  you can only ask them.

I do think you would be better looking for a friendly architect or architectural technician to help you navigate these issues, get them all sorted, and get cracking in with the build.

13 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

so who owns this alley then?

edit

looking on Streetview it would appear that the boundary is halfway between each property (except for no.18 which uses the gap as the driveway to a rear garage). Would it be worth knocking the door of one of the other neighbours and asking them how it works for them? Try searching planning docs for the other houses as there might be useful drawings (side porch between 16 and 18, and again 30 and 32 for example

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TonyT said:

Sure but better run it past the council  as they may have given permission based on a different style of window in keeping with the rest of the house,  you can only ask them.

I do think you would be better looking for a friendly architect or architectural technician to help you navigate these issues, get them all sorted, and get cracking in with the build.

The council agreed for the window to only be the same as the other ones in the property which is why they approved our application. I won’t be changing anything till they approve it. 
We discussed the window in detail when I applied for it as they had concerns the neighbours weren’t happy, but they approved it as it wasn’t against the law. The neighbours said it was inconvenient but no one mentioned it to be illegal. Otherwise we would have made different plans. Now it’s too late. That’s a whole bedroom without daylight or ventilation or fire escape. 

1 hour ago, dpmiller said:

edit

looking on Streetview it would appear that the boundary is halfway between each property (except for no.18 which uses the gap as the driveway to a rear garage). Would it be worth knocking the door of one of the other neighbours and asking them how it works for them? Try searching planning docs for the other houses as there might be useful drawings (side porch between 16 and 18, and again 30 and 32 for example

I don’t know any of the neighbours so don’t know if they have similar settings. Unfortunately they are all retired people and we are the youngest little family to move in. I know from my neighbour to the other side that they don’t like spending money on their properties, as they don’t expect to see a return in value. Most if not all are still kept the way they have been built, only a bit of paint and a clear out. I am the first to apply for an extension according to the planning office. 

https://buildsafe.co.uk/building-regulation-for-windows-in-bedrooms/#:~:text=Rooms on the ground floor,leads to the fire escape.

Reading this now makes me feel I may have other options, but I would rather have a window in the bedroom. 
I could technically abolish the 3rd bedroom and either turn it to a play area for my son/ office, or completely open the space up which would make the property 2 bedrooms instead of 3, or anything else.

Any ideas. I am truly lost now. 

Edited by Sophiae

30 minutes ago, Sophiae said:

https://buildsafe.co.uk/building-regulation-for-windows-in-bedrooms/#:~:text=Rooms on the ground floor,leads to the fire escape.

Reading this now makes me feel I may have other options, but I would rather have a window in the bedroom. 
I could technically abolish the 3rd bedroom and either turn it to a play area for my son/ office, or completely open the space up which would make the property 2 bedrooms instead of 3, or anything else.

Any ideas. I am truly lost now. 

What about doing a skylight instead? 

20 minutes ago, bmj1 said:

What about doing a skylight instead? 

It’s a single story property with a pitched roof. The room is an existing bedroom but the window is closed to create the dining area, hence a new window needed to be created. 

I’ve spent all morning now looking into alternatives into ventilation and lighting. I got a few ideas, mostly will cost me a lot more than budgeted. However if it will mean no disagreement with the neighbours and avoiding more than the existing animosity, I am willing to compromise till an agreement may be reached in the future or not. By then we would have got accustomed to the new setting. 
I believe the only downside is that it may be a problem if I wanted to ever sell the property in the future, but I guess I will worry about it when it happens. 

A ductless split AC could be used and it should satisfy BCO
Artificial lights (LED) can be used with fake windows in the wall. 

Any ideas? 

12 hours ago, Sophiae said:

there is an alley between us which gives access to my left hand side wall.

I would suggest that this is their alley and their land as it’s outside your red line showing the property boundary, unless your deeds specify you have “right of access”. On another point there is no point in you have an egress window (escape) if you can’t get over their fence 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

I would suggest that this is their alley and their land as it’s outside your red line showing the property boundary, unless your deeds specify you have “right of access”. On another point there is no point in you have an egress window (escape) if you can’t get over their fence 🤷‍♂️

I agree. They have already put up the fence. I can still put the window for some light, though not sure of the exact use of it except to tick a box (likely not adequate). 
Now looking into alternatives for BCO to approve this as a bedroom. I would like to keep it for my mom if she ever visited. She like all elderly people will not use the window to escape in case of fire. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sophiae said:

I agree. They have already put up the fence. I can still put the window for some light, though not sure of the exact use of it except to tick a box (likely not adequate). 
Now looking into alternatives for BCO to approve this as a bedroom.

When permission was granted for this work, was frosted/privacy glass in the window a condition of approval? As it overlooks your neighbour I would expect that to be the case.

25 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

When permission was granted for this work, was frosted/privacy glass in the window a condition of approval? As it overlooks your neighbour I would expect that to be the case.

No it wasn’t but I volunteered it later to the neighbours as I didn’t want my or their privacy breached as it is an alley. But planning didn’t have any conditions. Simply granted as specified. 

2 hours ago, Sophiae said:

It’s a single story property with a pitched roof. The room is an existing bedroom but the window is closed to create the dining area, hence a new window needed to be created. 

I’ve spent all morning now looking into alternatives into ventilation and lighting. I got a few ideas, mostly will cost me a lot more than budgeted. However if it will mean no disagreement with the neighbours and avoiding more than the existing animosity, I am willing to compromise till an agreement may be reached in the future or not. By then we would have got accustomed to the new setting. 
I believe the only downside is that it may be a problem if I wanted to ever sell the property in the future, but I guess I will worry about it when it happens. 

A ductless split AC could be used and it should satisfy BCO
Artificial lights (LED) can be used with fake windows in the wall. 

Any ideas? 

a mini split is for heating or cooling not ventilation.

you need a ducted vent system, you could incorporate heat recovery too in a single unit and run supply and return ducts to each room

or a single unit in the style of a wall fan

Edited by TonyT

2 hours ago, Sophiae said:

Now looking into alternatives for BCO to approve this as a bedroom. I would like to keep it for my mom if she ever visited. She like all elderly people will not use the window to escape in case of fire. 

How can you add a window if you cannot get access to outside??

like the rendering, fascia soffit, guttering 

You really need to address this issue, or what will you do when the neighbours call the police and the builders walk off the job??

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TonyT said:

How can you add a window if you cannot get access to outside??

like the rendering, fascia soffit, guttering 

You really need to address this issue, or what will you do when the neighbours call the police and the builders walk off the job??

For all the extension work, the builders said they will not require any access via the neighbours as the new building is slightly away border. The foundation was laid to the inside of the party wall. All roof work will not cross over to the neighbours. 
No more rendering as we are now replacing the external leaf with Brick work, building outside in for that last side wall to avoid conflict. 

I can install an inwards opening/tilt&Turn window which technically won’t open outwards, will provide ventilation and a legal fire escape if needed. The light won’t be sufficient because they have the fence opposite my window. The window fitters don’t need to access the wall from outside, though I am sure it is my right to have access to the wall for maintenance.