Aerogel Insulation

Sophiae

23 hours ago, Sophiae said:

The problem now is that all internal walls have been boarded up (plasterboards) with only that 25mm in situ, hence why I am looking for alternative solutions, rather than ripping out all these plasterboards and insulation

Internal walls don't need heat insulation so I guess you meant existing wall as distinct from new walls of the extension.

Cavity wall insulation is well worth considering but i would only recommend the grey/platinum coated bead system not a loose fibre fill system. The company should also check that your bricks and the location (not exposed) won't lead to water crossing the cavity.

It sounds like you are doing a renovation project? Are you living in the house? If not has it been empty for more than 2 years? If so you should only be paying 5% VAT. If you have already moved in then its too late to get 5% rating.

14 hours ago, Sophiae said:

Hmmmm. That’s a good question. The plan is to build from outwards in on that left hand side wall. The BCO didn’t have problems with it being at the boundary line. He knows the problems with the neighbours. He didn’t say anything else. As for the guttering and down pipes, it’s for the builders to figure it out I suppose. So long that it doesn’t cross the party wall line. 

The eaves and gutter cannot overhang the boundary without permission so the wall normally has to be on your side a bit to allow for that. Many times builders just assume you have permission and start building the wall on the boundary. Would be a shame to have to take it down and rebuild if the neighbours object later, decided to take you to court for trespass or kept removing your gutters. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2023 at 00:57, Temp said:

Internal walls don't need heat insulation so I guess you meant existing wall as distinct from new walls of the extension.

Cavity wall insulation is well worth considering but i would only recommend the grey/platinum coated bead system not a loose fibre fill system. The company should also check that your bricks and the location (not exposed) won't lead to water crossing the cavity.

It sounds like you are doing a renovation project? Are you living in the house? If not has it been empty for more than 2 years? If so you should only be paying 5% VAT. If you have already moved in then its too late to get 5% rating.

Yes renovation and extension. I am not living in the property as my son has sensory problems and won’t be able to cope with the work. The place is virtually insulation free when I bought it, and I knew I needed to work on that. It was just trying to figure out what would work. 

I am not sure about the VAT? You mean I can claim vat? 

On 27/06/2023 at 01:05, Temp said:

The eaves and gutter cannot overhang the boundary without permission so the wall normally has to be on your side a bit to allow for that. Many times builders just assume you have permission and start building the wall on the boundary. Would be a shame to have to take it down and rebuild if the neighbours object later, decided to take you to court for trespass or kept removing your gutters. 

We have now established that we have to build inwards a bit to avoid trespassing problems with the neighbours. Unfortunately we were unable to meet in the middle as they have refused to be reasonable and iron out the differences. For them, I should have consulted them in my design and plans, they simply don’t want me to extend as they “didn’t sign up for this”. So this is where we are. 

The wall on their side has to be rebuilt outwards in, the outer leaf bricks has to be built first as they won’t allow access under any circumstances. 
They said they were happy for 6 years before I bought the property and they now feel miserable, every day they wake up and look in their garden and see my extension to their right hand side, and they have installed wooden fence on my wall so I am unable to open a window in my bedroom. 

Just now, HughF said:

Are they old? Old people have a habit of dying eventually, in my experience….

Retired, but not that kind of old. His father just died a few months ago in his 80s, so he’s got a long way to go 🙂 

6 minutes ago, HughF said:

It’s particularly unfortunate that they’re not older, and are being unreasonable. You have my sympathies.

Thank you. This is the only place I found that makes me feel like a have an understanding family. 
Not many people know about my project and some of the ones who know about it told me to sell my place instead of finding solutions. 
I am standing my ground into finding solutions and alternative designs so I can have a home for me and my disabled son. He is worth it. 

• Like 1

Get more advice on building 1m from the boundary, I was under the impression you have to do this. It will solve your problems: maintenance, guttering, let alone trying to construct the thing without stepping on to the other side. 

2 minutes ago, Jilly said:

Get more advice on building 1m from the boundary, I was under the impression you have to do this. It will solve your problems: maintenance, guttering, let alone trying to construct the thing without stepping on to the other side. 

Too late, can’t move one meter away. Foundation already done. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Is there a party wall act/agreement for your neighbour in your purchase pack?

Unfortunately not and they wouldn’t sign one either as they refused the idea of the extension all together. 

3 hours ago, Sophiae said:

I am not sure about the VAT? You mean I can claim vat? 

The government have two different schemes to encourage empty houses to be refurbished. Depends how long they have been empty/unoccupied:

https://www.no-use-empty.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/property-tax-and-vat/reduced-vat-schemes/

VAT – residential properties empty for at least two years.

With effect from 1 January 2008, renovations and alterations to residential properties that have been empty for at least 2 years will be eligible for a reduced VAT rate of 5%. This applies to labour and materials associated with repairs, alterations, construction of associated garages and hard landscaping.

To minimise VAT paid, careful consideration needs to be given to who supplies materials and it will usually pay to work with a VAT-registered builder, as the saving of 15% material supplied and fixed (Labour and materials) will usually outweigh the saving of 20% VAT on labour. There is no equivalent reduced VAT rate for DIY work HMRC Notice 708

VAT – Conversion of non-residential properties empty for ten years or more

A developer or house owner can claim back all VAT charged on the renovation of a building that has been empty for 10 years or more, once the dwelling is sold. If the house owner retains the property for private residential use, they can make a claim for the VAT under the DIY Builders Refund Scheme available from Customs and Excise.

So if your place has been empty >2 years any trades you hire to do renovation work should only charge you 5% not 20%. Make this clear to them when they come to quote and get them to amend any quotes that say +20% vat. If they question it refer them to VAT 708.  Make sure they are VAT registered.

There are also reduced rate VAT for energy saving things. These apply even if its not been empty >2 years..

VAT and the installation of certain energy efficiency measures

In addition,  reduced rates of VAT apply to a number of types of building works, such as installing energy saving measures, adapting a building for a disabled person or works to convert a non residential building into a home.
A reduced VAT rate applies to the installation of certain specified energy-saving materials in residential accommodation. The reduced rate applies to installation of:

• Central heating and hot water controls
  • Draught stripping
  • Insulation
  • Solar panels
  • Wind Turbines
  • Ground source heat pumps
  • Air source heat pumps
  • Micro combined heat and power units; and
  • Wood-fuelled boilers

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Temp said:

The government have two different schemes to encourage empty houses to be refurbished. Depends how long they have been empty/unoccupied:

https://www.no-use-empty.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/property-tax-and-vat/reduced-vat-schemes/

So if your place has been empty >2 years any trades you hire to do renovation work should only charge you 5% not 20%. Make this clear to them when they come to quote and get them to amend any quotes that say +20% vat. If they question it refer them to VAT 708.  Make sure they are VAT registered.

There are also reduced rate VAT for energy saving things. These apply even if its not been empty >2 years..

OMG. I never knew this existed. So how do I then claim all the items I paid 20% on when bought.

Yes been empty for more than 2 years. 

56 minutes ago, Sophiae said:

OMG. I never knew this existed. So how do I then claim all the items I paid 20% on when bought.

Yes been empty for more than 2 years. 

I might be wrong but I think you can only reclaim the vat on items you purchase yourself under the >10 year scheme.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Temp said:

I might be wrong but I think you can only reclaim the vat on items you purchase yourself under the >10 year scheme.

That’s really great news. Lots of hundreds of pounds here and there. I have kept all the receipts . 

2 minutes ago, Sophiae said:

That’s really great news. Lots of hundreds of pounds here and there. I have kept all the receipts . 

So was it empty for more than 10 years?

2 hours ago, HughF said:

That’s bang out of order, and goes to show how faulty the system is. They shouldn’t have a say in the matter, just because they were there first.

They put this fence on my wall to stop me from opening my bedroom window as it is inconvenient to them! 

186C2272-4660-4A67-8FA0-04320E34562F.jpeg

17 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

While it may delay any work, there are systems in place that will allow you to carry out the work.

https://www.gov.uk/party-walls-building-works

The BCO has agreed to allow me to change my intended plans for the external leaf. Instead of block work and render, we will use bricks and build the neighbouring wall external leaf first and carry the rest of the work as usual, taking into consideration that nothing crosses the fence lone. 
I am happy to spend an extra £1000 and finish sooner rather than get stuck further and pay £1450 in rent + bills per month. 

14 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Hope they didn’t fix their fence to your garage?

They fixed it to my left hand side wall as in the picture. The garage door is being replaced with bricks and window as the garage has been converted to my son’s bedroom.