Scaffolding - what happens with the rendering?

CalvinHobbes

Just trying to understand the process. Our home is block construction 2 story which is to be rendered. So is it ..

blocks up to roof plate, then steels, joinery, roof on. Then rendering (presumably by a plasterer?) then cladding of the top part, then guttering/fascia, any electrical lights

So is it after that the scaffolding comes down. Can it be taken down by us - eg. not by a scaffolding firm if no workers are around? Physically we can, I know it's at our own risk. Like does it come down in one go or would the plasterer for the rendering need it to be taken down in stages? If its not tight to the wall surely he can work within it?

Looking where we can save money. So hoping we can save by dismantling it and also the render - who can do that? Is it just a plasterer? Can a builder? Can we? How skilled is it? I know plastering inside is skilled. Thinking out loud whilst just about to pay more invoices so feel free!

Edited by CalvinHobbes

Scaffold will be up until all the block work is finished, roof is finished, soffits & facia finished etc.

It depends on the scaffold company as they will dictate if they have to remove it, which is very likely due to risk/insurance etc.

Builder will do the render.

Nothing says you can't take the scaffold down yourself it's just all the risk is on your shoulders. If one of the bars hits the wall it's your fault. A scaffolder will drop it in no time compared to what you could do. Plus it's usually in the price.

Don't try and save money on the plastering. Pay the money and get it done right as this is what you see everyday. It's a very skilled job.  Good plaster can hide all sorts of sins left by brickies and joiners. 

• Like 1

Sorry I should have said we bought the scaffolding and are paying a scaffold firm to put it up and do the inspections/ticket it. We pay weekly for the ticket and any weeks the site is not in use we don't pay. It's so we don't get caught for the horrific delays friends have had.

1 minute ago, Declan52 said:

Nothing says you can't take the scaffold down yourself it's just all the risk is on your shoulders. If one of the bars hits the wall it's your fault. A scaffolder will drop it in no time compared to what you could do. Plus it's usually in the price.

Don't try and save money on the plastering. Pay the money and get it done right as this is what you see everyday. It's a very skilled job.  Good plaster can hide all sorts of sins left by brickies and joiners. 

Thanks, so would you say go with a plasterer as opposed to a builder doing it?

3 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Thanks, so would you say go with a plasterer as opposed to a builder doing it?

Are you employing a builder to do the complete build who will then sub out to specific trades or you doing the foot work finding each trade.

Tube & fitting scaffold is normally adapted for a renderer,inside board moved away from the wall to allow work through the lift. Not sure how that would work with Kwikstage-maybe someone on here has done it?

1 hour ago, Brickie said:

Tube & fitting scaffold is normally adapted for a renderer,inside board moved away from the wall to allow work through the lift. Not sure how that would work with Kwikstage-maybe someone on here has done it?

You use a 1 or 2 plank wide toe extension that gets you close enough to the wall. Then as they move down the lift the planks of so no splashes mark the new render.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

You will need fascia, soffit, gutters, painting and holes for services before you drop the scaffold.

What are the quoting to strike it?

i am getting a quote of 3k to set up and dismantle and 70 a week on top for inspections for whatever weeks it needs it. Thats with me providing the scaffold.

On 18/06/2023 at 09:30, Conor said:

I put a hole in a wall and nearly smashed a 2x2.6m window trying to move a few bits around. Don't do it. There are safer ways to save money.

Agree on this - I adjusted a bit of scaffolding but there were a few precarious moments when the metal boards (which are much heavier and have a momentum of their own once you lose the balance) went precariously close to windows. I wouldn't want to be removing a full house worth of scaffolding - even doing it in a couple of hour shifts I reckon there'd be a fair risk of some unforeseen damage as you tire. Leave it to the skilled muscle. 

• Like 1