Outside hot tap security?

Super_Paulie

Hi guys. Does anyone have any ideas on how to lock down an outside tap? Never thought about it until now but with a hot tap out the front of the house (dog and car washing) someone could potentially open it up while we are out which would then activate the boiler obviously and then it's hard cash literally down the drain.

The obvious answer is to remove the handles and have them in the porch as you can turn the tap without the handles being secured on, just push the handle on and turn it, but I'd be interested if anyone else has came up against this scenario and how they dealt with it.

The taps are Pegler.

6263V_P.jpeg

2 minutes ago, eandg said:

Are you a worrier by nature? 

Worried about going on holiday for a fortnight and coming back to a hot tap that's been running for 14 days, sure! The tap is street side, so public facing, although it's a decent area I guess it's not out of the question to occur.

3 minutes ago, Super_Paulie said:

Tried your last suggestion, if anything that made the neighbours want to use the hot tap to wash their eyes out.

I did think you can get padlock type covers for tap outlets . Failing that stick a locked box over it ( serious suggestion btw ) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

I did think you can get padlock type covers for tap outlets . Failing that stick a locked box over it ( serious suggestion btw ) 

Might be a good shout, like a lockable key cabinet you see in offices. I'll look into that now.

Obviously it's not a huge concern, 99% unlikely anyone would ever turn it on as a jape, but if the possibility is there then I'd like to reduce that to 100% unlikely.

Maybe even something like an eye bracket and a "close to the handle" padlock would do it.

Screenshot_20230601_201512.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Super_Paulie said:

Might be a good shout, like a lockable key cabinet you see in offices. I'll look into that now.

Obviously it's not a huge concern, 99% unlikely anyone would ever turn it on as a jape, but if the possibility is there then I'd like to reduce that to 100% unlikely.

Maybe even something like an eye bracket and a "close to the handle" padlock would do it.

If you do it nothing will happen . If you don’t then Sod’s Law will work . Prevention is best 👍. For a small fee I can stand there naked to deter people . It’s not the first time .

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

If you do it nothing will happen . If you don’t then Sod’s Law will work . Prevention is best 👍For a small fee I can stand there naked to deter people . It’s not the first time .

Might be weird if we are both doing it though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Super_Paulie said:

I'd be very wary of doing anything that makes whatever is in the cabinet look anything but something as mundane as a tap - your curious/japesters/thiefs are more likely to be drawn to a lock than a tap so you might end up encouraging what you want to discourage. Could you box it in with an outdoor socket cover or similar?

3 minutes ago, Conor said:

@PeterW is, like me, a genius. Firltted our outside tap this evening for filling a paddling pool, and fitted an isolating valve off the manifold so it will be out of reach children and magpies.

And for the obvious need to be able to isolate the tap in the winter!

The hacker in me would want to make use of the normally closed solenoid valves from a washing machine and have Alexa turn on the water on a schedule.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey Google, activate outside taps. 

Like Connor I would be coming directly from the manifold and I'm adding the DCV there. I mean I guess I could add an isolator just on the inside of the wall but that would be isolation at the manifold and a valve, seems a bit much. But on the other hand I don't really want to go to the manifold each time to turn this off...

An eyelet and a padlock is winning so far I think.

11 hours ago, Super_Paulie said:

Hey Google, activate outside taps. 

Like Connor I would be coming directly from the manifold and I'm adding the DCV there. I mean I guess I could add an isolator just on the inside of the wall but that would be isolation at the manifold and a valve, seems a bit much. But on the other hand I don't really want to go to the manifold each time to turn this off...

An eyelet and a padlock is winning so far I think.

The simplest is as already suggested: an isolator inside the house.

Otherwise it's the tap box if it was me. 

If your concerned with vandals I would suggest avoiding tap locks. One could just unscrew the tap.

Good luck.

M

• Like 1