Staircase fixing

8 minutes ago, pocster said:

I think that’s pretty smart ! . When’s it due to finish ? ; want too see photos of that please 

Hopefully have all the steel finished tomorrow. Treads will be oak, 275 x 112 with glass, will be a while before they are done though.

My build is probably on the same timeline as yours 😂😉

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

Hopefully have all the steel finished tomorrow. Treads will be oak, 275 x 112 with glass, will be a while before they are done though.

My build is probably on the same timeline as yours 😂😉

You’ve been very quiet for 10 yrs then - unlike me 😎

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, pocster said:

You’ve been very quiet for 10 yrs then - unlike me 😎

You have been asking all the questions, I have been taking the answers 😬

Only 9 months in 😉

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ETC said:

Lol at “sign here if Building Control are involved in your project” - of course they will be. Oh yeah you’ll need guarding to the LHS.

They are ‘involved ‘ in that they turned up a few times go “ yeah “ and leave . You think a hand rail on the base steps to the left is required ?

If the rise of the steps add up to more than 600mm, i believe you will need a handrail. You might be able to rig something temp just to get it passed, then take it down. I have done that in the past for the NHBC. He knew it was temp, but was happy to just have a photo that showed a handrail.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, pocster said:

They are ‘involved ‘ in that they turned up a few times go “ yeah “ and leave . You think a hand rail on the base steps to the left is required ?

That is why you should have formally submitted the staircase  design to building control and got them to either sign it as acceptable, or state what alterations they would need, BEFORE you spent your £30K

It's not as if you were not advised to do that.

An extra glass panel covering the first 2 steps down after the turn would do it, leaving only the bottom 2 without a handrail.

46 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Not quite sure what you mean here ?

The company take responsibility in the design to meet bc requirements.

Equally not spent 30k - that happens after install . These are the the 1st draft of the plans - not final 

Edited by pocster

we went through this with the design of our entrance hall. the architect had the landing above so that it had vertical posts coming down along the side of the stairs to create a lovely feature. but the landing was far enough back that the hand rail would have had to come past the vertical posts. we changed it so that the landing was brought forward enough so that it ended 2 steps up the stair case which meant that the hand rail could start at the same place as the vertical timbers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

No one in this thread advised anything of the sort .

The company state in their blurb all their staircases meet bc requirements 100% - so imho that’s them accepting liability for that . None the less I emailed them ; they suggested I could email this draft to bc anyway and follow it up with the final proposal just for peace of mind .

Whilst ‘proper’ bco should check these things on my build ( 5 yrs of fighting remember) it’s fairly obvious I pissed planning / bc and neighbors off .

I assumed someone would want to inspect the insulation . Not interested. In theory I could have installed zero insulation and no one would know ( I did take photos ! ) .

Edited by pocster

37 minutes ago, pocster said:

No one in this thread advised anything of the sort .

The company state in their blurb all their staircases meet bc requirements 100% - so imho that’s them accepting liability for that . None the less I emailed them ; they suggested I could email this draft to bc anyway and follow it up with the final proposal just for peace of mind .

So why did they ask you to sign that ?

image.png.f0553fb4ab4950b039c774ab1e3947d5.png

It looks to me like they are expecting you to submit the design to your building control and for your building control to sign that they accept the design.

What they are wanting to avoid is getting into an argument with your building control at the end of the project when he refuses to issue a completion certificate because of a staircase issue.

18 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It looks to me like they are expecting you to submit the design to your building control and for your building control to sign that they accept the design.

What they are wanting to avoid is getting into an argument with your building control at the end of the project when he refuses to issue a completion certificate because of a staircase issue.

Maybe. I only uploaded the design for @Thorfun too see; which I've only JUST received.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

That is why you should have formally submitted the staircase  design to building control and got them to either sign it as acceptable, or state what alterations they would need, BEFORE you spent your £30K

I can't send to bc without the design which I've only just received!. I have NOT spent 30k.

I can only send things to anyone ONCE I've received them.

Edited by pocster

Company were back out today for the 2nd survey ( I had to do some shuttering after the 1st one ).

All good. Will get my metal fixing of stairs to RSJ. Also they will 'infill' the steel beam to suit their needs ( which I prefer ).

Regarding hand rail at base of steps ; usually max steps with no hand rail is 2 ( though apparently the width of the step is relevant ).

Final fix plans to be posted once I have them.

• Like 2

Forgot to mention … The treads are made off site and very exact . To achieve this they brought a hand held 3d scanner . Nice bit of kit ( all 27k of it ! ) - produced an accurate 3d model in seconds . I asked if I could borrow it to scan ‘things’ - they said no .

Edited by pocster
  • Haha 1

On 09/06/2023 at 11:17, ProDave said:

I think pear stairs ask you to sign a disclaimer if the design breaches building regs in any way. Different kettle of fish to a bespoke high cost jobby but I would assume same rules apply?

• Like 1