Staircase fixing

What’s the ‘standard’ way to fix a self supporting staircase at the top tread ?

I’ve got a nice rsj there which I assumed the company would be happy to fix too . But they want me to bolt noggins in and ‘pack out ‘ to the face on the steel . This seems pointless to me and not very good - are they really going to hang off some bolted timber when they could ( should ? ) bolt directly to the rsj .

59 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Weld metal plates, drill and tap to suit would be my choice.

This is the type of thing I would have thought . I’ll wait for their drawings . The fact they want me to in fill the steel with timber seems pointless 

7 minutes ago, pocster said:

This is the type of thing I would have thought . I’ll wait for their drawings . The fact they want me to in fill the steel with timber seems pointless 

They can’t be arsed so want the easy option.

some timber wedged in the web of the  beam. Fine for the national housebuilders….

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TonyT said:

They can’t be arsed so want the easy option.

some timber wedged in the web of the  beam. Fine for the national housebuilders….

For the cost of the stairs I’ll make bloody sure some kind of metal bracket off the top stair is welded / bolted to the steel by them

Edited by pocster

Here's their plan.

I drill the steel at these points ( presumably 2 holes ). Fix noggins. Timber then horizontal; then pack out with OSB.

What bugs me is a) the work for me and b) the actual top tread fixes at just one point by the blue stairs - so why I need to do the whole lot is pointless.

They fix to the steel any way they want at the top tread end to the steel!

Hula BS9.jpg

12 minutes ago, nod said:

I’d use 15 mil ply 

You are right though you shouldn’t be doing any of this 

I won’t be . It’s a 30k staircase so I’ll make sure they do it correctly 

1 hour ago, pocster said:

I won’t be . It’s a 30k staircase so I’ll make sure they do it correctly 

Yep and don’t forget to give them directions to the nearest cafe 

• Haha 1

On 27/05/2023 at 21:32, pocster said:

Here's their plan.

I drill the steel at these points ( presumably 2 holes ). Fix noggins. Timber then horizontal; then pack out with OSB.

What bugs me is a) the work for me and b) the actual top tread fixes at just one point by the blue stairs - so why I need to do the whole lot is pointless.

They fix to the steel any way they want at the top tread end to the steel!

Hula BS9.jpg

Drill a hole at the points in yellow and put some horizontal pegs in for them to put their cowboy hats 😉

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Drill a hole at the points in yellow and put some horizontal pegs in for them to put their cowboy hats 😉

I’ve sent a nice email ( 4/10 on my pissed off scale ) . We will see what gives .

You want a secure as secure is fixing there. Yes wait for their details but if it were me I'd weld a really thick steel plate between the top and bottom flange and drill and tap into that. If you simply nut and bolt the nut could go loose over time and be inaccessible.

I probably have the correct, large size HSS taps I could send you to borrow. I've M12, 14, 16, 20 up to M24 I think. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, pocster said:

@Thorfun here are the initial plans!

Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 19.35.35.png

and now I see the image has actually appeared. had trouble with technology did you?

anyway, that is a fantastic looking staircase. is it fixed to the wall or self supporting?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

and now I see the image has actually appeared. had trouble with technology did you?

anyway, that is a fantastic looking staircase. is it fixed to the wall or self supporting?

Lol

The first post had the company name in it - I decided to edit that . Contrary to popular belief I don’t want buildhub getting into trouble !

The only fixing ( point of contention at the moment ) is just a fixing to the rsj on the top tread . So not fixed to the wall ( can’t be ! ) and not fixed to the floor ( can’t be ! )