Laying large format tiles

Pocster

Starting to think about the main floor area.

I like large format ( but perhaps not the price ) - wondering how feasible it is for one lowly human to lay them on their own.

Large format of course is anything from 1000 x 1000 up.... ( seen as high as 3200 x 3200!  )

I assume once back buttered ; the weight ( using glass suction cups ) becomes the issue......

Been laying 600 x 900 20mm porcelain for the patio and paths , wouldn't want to lay anything larger on my own. Not to bad carrying to where your working but once down flat lifting to manoeuvre very difficult due to the weight. 

• Like 1

Yeah I figure weight would become an issue. I know there is porcelain-thin ( some as low as 4mm! - apparently just as strong ). But pricing for those is always "please call for a quote " - which of course means it is too expensive!

Guess I can manage 1000 x 1000 no more than 10mm on me tod . At that size only around 100 of them to lay ....😶

Edited by pocster

We have 1200 x 1200 x 7mm - two people required to lay them.

We laid ours on Ditra.

Normal suction lifters may not work if tiles have a texture.

Expansion joints in every doorway and across a large opening due to the size of the area.

Definitely use a levelling system.

We also used the tiles as skirting.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wozza said:

We have 1200 x 1200 x 7mm - two people required to lay them.

We laid ours on Ditra.

Normal suction lifters may not work if tiles have a texture.

Expansion joints in every doorway and across a large opening due to the size of the area.

Definitely use a levelling system.

We also used the tiles as skirting.

Have a decoupling mat and a levelling system . Don’t have any friends so must lay myself ( not rude @Nickfromwales )

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

them being not flat - there was a thread about it here recently.

That was me.  2mm hump in a 900 x 150 porcelain tile. It needed  a levelling system but the first timers are getting on great with it, and using the levellers on smaller tiles now too, for speed.

I am guessing that a big square tile may have a hump in the middle, but the perimeter would all be level. Perhaps a heavy weight in the middle will sort it, but a 2mm flow won't really matter.

Handling? Well you wouldn't want to drop or scratch them so find a helper  (doesn't need to be a friend) and buy a suction lifter?

Edited by saveasteading

16 minutes ago, wozza said:

Doorway sure . How big was your area and where did you place expansion joints ? ( is there a rule of thumb for this ?? ) 

Just now, saveasteading said:

If there are contraction joints in the floor then mirror them.

Otherwise, why would you expect the floor to move?

Only obvious crack in screed is in a doorway ( as you might expect ) - rest of floor is fine .

17 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Bloody hard work lifting them on your own Buddy, but has the advantage of not having to hurry because you are paying somebody to help you.

I’m 💪💪💪💪💪💪 - so no (expletive deleted)ing bother 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm also looking at large format tiles, have 200sqm ... but was also considering resin, early stages so not costed either up. I like the clean, no grout and a subtle pattern. Do you still need expansion joints with resin ? anybody got a cost comparison ?

oh and any thermal benefits of resin over porcelain tiles using UFH ?

Edited by PaulD
forgot something