Width of trenches

greenbanana

When building a side extension (for an end terrace Victorian property) is a concrete trench the full width of the extension (roughly 1.8m wide) suitable? The structural engineer's drawing show that 600mm wide trench is needed but the builder has excavated the full width of the proposed extension ie 1.8m. Is there any problem with this.

Ah the excavation depth is fine. We would just like to understand if there's reason for having a 1.8m wide trench rather than 600mm wide trench that was suggested by the structural engineer. The final side extension will be 1.8m wide.

2 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

The builder has probably dug down 300mm over the whole area of the extension to allow for insulation under the floor.

Probably because it might have been too difficult to cleanly dig the trenches if it's a confined / awkward spot. No harm in it, just going to cost you more in concrete. Photos would help. And ask your builder these kinds of things as it's good to communicate.

Edited by Conor

4 hours ago, greenbanana said:

1.7m. I've just messaged you pictures.

you really should stop PMing people pictures. this is a public forum where many folk are willing to help. by sending pictures directly to individual members you lose out on the benefit of the hundreds of people on here who might have the experience and knowledge to answer your questions. you did the same in your other thread and it was mentioned there that it's better to anonymise the photos and post them up. you'll get much better help if you do.

4 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Which was about the neighbour's house not yours.

Is this query also about the neighbour's?

My impression is all his questions are about the neighbours extension, trying to find something "wrong" in what they are doing. But he won't post pictures for us all to see he just PM's some to those that ask.

• Like 1

I was building an extension for a great customer once and the neighbour flatly refused to allow me on to his property to point the faced brickwork that was facing his house. I tried and tried to explain that it would be better for him to allow me access but he was having none of it. I had no choice but to leave gravity defying snots hanging off the brickwork. the next day the ‘cowboy builders’ were exposed on social media. He’s. Still got the snots though. 😀 just saying.  I’ll now  join buttercup and grab my coat. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 07/04/2023 at 21:43, greenbanana said:

When building a side extension (for an end terrace Victorian property) is a concrete trench the full width of the extension (roughly 1.8m wide) suitable? The structural engineer's drawing show that 600mm wide trench is needed but the builder has excavated the full width of the proposed extension ie 1.8m. Is there any problem with this.

Whose excavation / trench is it? 

Presumably he's not going to fully fill the foundations. Most likely he will pour a slab over the whole bottom of the pit or dig deeper trenches around the edges. Then build up in blockwork and install a suspended floor.

You might prefer a Beam & Block suspended floor with insulation and screed on top rather than a timber floor, especially if tiling any of it. 

Ask him what his plans are.

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Presumably he's not going to fully fill the foundations. Most likely he will pour a slab over the whole bottom of the pit or dig deeper trenches around the edges. Then build up in blockwork and install a suspended floor.

You might prefer a Beam & Block suspended floor with insulation and screed on top rather than a timber floor, especially if tiling any of it. 

Ask him what his plans are.

Unless I am mistaken, this is a follow on question from the members previous gripes about work going on next door to him?

@greenbanana

22 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Whose excavation / trench is it? 

As above, can you answer please?

My take is he is worried the works next door might be putting his own home in danger if they are being done wrong.  If only he would post the pictures for us all to see, we could either re assure him it is all normal and nothing to worry about, or tell him yes you do have a bunch of cowboys working there and give him some advice.

• Like 3