Shower enclosures

I think I have cocked up, I bought two 1200 x 800 shower trays for my bathrooms and intended to have just a 1200 screen allowing access via the 800 wide end ( I dislike bifold or sliding doors) and thought that having no door would be groovy ?. However I have been told that water is likely to splash onto the floor ( over 1200 mm distance) so resigned myself to having a door across the 800 end but do you think I can find that combination on the www?.

Do people on here think I need a door ( will water spray over the 1200mm distance) and can anyone recommend a supplier for this combination please ?

( responses to you're answers will be sporadic as no broadband on site and I just have to come to the pub to get wifi ?)

I think it us likely to spray through a opening if it is facing it.

So reconsider which direction your shower head is mounted facing. Consider putting it on the long side or in a corner.

Or swap the screen if they will allow and leave your gap in the long side.

Delighted to see that the Ferdinand Fixed Screens campaign (FFS) is winning :P.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

We have a 1750 x 800 shower tray with the spray at the far end. I ordered a single piece of 900mm  x 1000mm  8mm glass made and fixed it to the wall with 8mm alu profile.                                                                                                                 ^^^^^ (should read 2100mm!)

Used 2mm spacers on the floor and sikaflexed the base, when cured removed the spacers and filled the gaps. Added a bar for stability and it all works fine.

Edited by Bitpipe
brain fog

I've allocated a 1400x1400 wet room corner. Plan is (was?) to have the shower riser/spray in the corner on a mitred section of wall. I'm leaving "structure" in the walls to fit glass wings if over spray becomes an issue.

9 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

We have a 1750 x 800 shower tray with the spray at the far end. I ordered a single piece of 900mm  x 1000mm  8mm glass made and fixed it to the wall with 8mm alu profile.

Used 2mm spacers on the floor and sikaflexed the base, when cured removed the spacers and filled the gaps. Added a bar for stability and it all works fine.

900mm x 1000mm, how does that work then, does the spray not come over the top of it???

Just re-read your post. If you fitted a bar I think maybe it's a typo, or my brain hasn't woken up yet  :)

Edited by RichS
re-read

12 hours ago, joe90 said:

However I have been told that water is likely to splash onto the floor ( over 1200 mm distance)

That is right.

We have 1800mm trays. On the tray with the shower head near one end (say about 1300 to end of tray, plan view) we get minimal splashing outside. On the tray with the shower head centralised, we get a lot of splashing outside. On this one I am thinking of putting a shower curtain using the steady bar as a rail.

Amazing what difference 400mm makes!

12 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

We have a 1750 x 800 shower tray with the spray at the far end. I ordered a single piece of 900mm  x 1000mm  8mm glass made and fixed it to the wall with 8mm alu profile.

2 hours ago, RichS said:

900mm x 1000mm, how does that work then, does the spray not come over the top of it???

Just re-read your post. If you fitted a bar I think maybe it's a typo, or my brain hasn't woken up yet  :)

No, my brain was asleep! Meant to say 2100mm high and 1000mm wide!

Joe - Perhaps shop around local glass merchants for a quote. Will be more expensive than off the shelf but many can make frameless shower doors and screens in any size and combination you want. For our master bathroom I installed a travertine tray and got Go Glass in Cambridge to make the 8mm glass screen and door.

https://goglass.co.uk/showers/home.php

Used them because we'd had sealed units for broken windows and mirrors from them before. Company has been going since at least the mid 1980s. We just went with plain glass but they can do more exotic things like coloured glass (eg for splash backs) or etch a pattern on it if you want.

PS: If you go the custom route don't just tell them 1200*800 you need to measure from the surface of the tiles to where you want the glass to sit on the tray. Sorry if that's obvious.

Edited by Temp

If you don't want a screen what about a groovy curtain on a rail you just pull across you can get some great looking ones. We use such a system in our downstairs wet room to keep the splashes off the loo. Works great, looks great (arty), easy to install and very cost efficient. When it gets grubby we just wash it an hang it back up to dry!

• Like 1

This splashing issue, and not wanting screens with channels, is why we have decided on 2 wet rooms. The screens will be minimal glass, supported on 2 stainless steel feet and some sort of bracket at the top. No channels to attract grot" is the design spec.

IMG_6080.thumb.JPG.dc0ae6581b05fc451ae976dda4d4cd8c.JPG

That is an Impey linear 2 wetroom former built into the left hand corner. Where the step is in the floor will go a glass screen ( 2040 high x 1180 wide ) to capture the splashing water. 

Shower 'area' ( sloped bit ) is 1200x900mm. Yes they'll have to dry the floor a little beyond the 1200mm but if you like cool then that's the way forward. 

@joe90, try before you buy ;)

I have built this enclosure around a 900 x 1500 tray.  This came about as we wanted body jets and a walk in shower but couldn't figure out a way to not have 1 set of jets firing across the room! So the enclosed section is 1000 x 900 created by the little stud partition. Rainfall shower head coming from the ceiling. No idea how much it'll splash especially when using body jets and moving about, but there's noggins in the wall to install some glass if required, although I'm not sure how it'll work if it proves to splash so much it'll need fully enclosing.... probably a curtain with rubber ducks on it and hang my head in shame!

IMG_2292.JPG

IMG_2293.JPG

IMG_2294.JPG

Edited by Grosey

5 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

IMG_6080.thumb.JPG.dc0ae6581b05fc451ae976dda4d4cd8c.JPG

That is an Impey linear 2 wetroom former built into the left hand corner. Where the step is in the floor will go a glass screen ( 2040 high x 1180 wide ) to capture the splashing water. 

Shower 'area' ( sloped bit ) is 1200x900mm. Yes they'll have to dry the floor a little beyond the 1200mm but if you like cool then that's the way forward. 

@joe90, try before you buy ;)

That does look the dogs danglies!

Thanks ?

The original window was about 400mm x 400mm, so only about 300mm of glazing, so I chopped the TF out and fitted that bigger 800mm one. Much more light into the room now, but a right pita to peel back the load bearing layers of the head above ?

When i get 5 mins I'll start a thread on the bath waste that I 'pioneered', the square you can see in the floor in front of the window.  

The circle in the corner is the Hans Grohe freestanding bath tap 'receptacle' which is basically a very posh bayonet type fitting which the tap stand gets fitted into after tanking and tiling is complete. I'll post some pics on the aforementioned thread after I second fix it next week.